[Spoilers] Lightning's Name

I don't mind it, but I don't understand the secrecy surrounding the name. We were made aware that Lightning wasn't her real name, but it ended up only being mentioned once in the game (as far as I recall), and the use of the name saw no reaction from any of the party members (again, as far as I recall). It ended up not really being a big thing at all.

I guess the real importance lay with the name Lightning (which she chose for herself), and not with the name that she was born with.

Even though she changed her name why did she change it to Lightning?................

It kinda does suit her instead of Claire though............

And why did she change it anyway........She does say because her mother passed away but why would she anyway?

And anyway that Barthendelus/Serah thing was Barthendelus controlling her..........So you can't really say Barthendelus would know her real name.

And none of the other characters gave a damn anyway.......

And why did she change it anyway........She does say because her mother passed away but why would she anyway?

It was something about how she wanted to discard her past to get over the tragedy of her mother's death. She realised that she had to look after Serah now and she wanted to become an adult quickly. Well, it was something like that. It definitely sounds like a bit of a stupid reason.

And my take on this Lightning/Claire thing? Not much. I didn't see much importance in it either. It's a tiny little subplot thing that doesn't really build up to much at all. Barthandelus (who somehow knows her name - is he a stalker?) reveals her name, and the whole business just dies afterwards. And no one else seems to give a damn or mention about it anytime later.

I just think that this subplot could have been implemented in a much more effective way, because at Oerba, the player has no reason to give a damn about her name anymore.

I think Claire suits her well, but if SE were to make a prequel or sequel to XIII I would really hope they elaborate on why her name is in such a privacy.

Lightning's name in the Japanese version is Éclaire which can be translated into Lightning in French. Farron meaning Thunder in Gaelic. Thus, Thunder and Lightning-Lightning and Thunder etcetc.

I can imagine "Claire" was used just because it's the closest to the Japanese name.

I think Eclair is French. As people have already said, it means Lightning, but I found it quite suitable. At the beginning and up to Chapter 7, really, Lightning is this cool, composed individual, a ruthless Sanctum soldier. Lightning really suits her. But then we start seeing this softer side to her, and giving her a normal name, like Claire or Eclair, really cements her humanity. I feel it was very appropriate. .

Pretty common name i know she didn't want to use that name so she could leave the past behind her back and perhaps a main character deserved a better name then Claire...but not once did i feel the need to actually know her real name.

Then again Claire is a pretty cool name for a main character...like Claire Redfield for example i actually like it more then Lighting it seems kind of stupid when people go around calling you that, specially in my language.

I thought it was cool. I knew her name before I even owned the game (which I got on like... the second day) so I think that I just got used to it before I even knew who Lightning was.

Now that I do know her, I still don't mind it. I think it's a pretty name to begin with, but that's all it ever was. Some names are interesting, but "Claire" isn't in my opinion, and I think Lightning just adds personality to it.

I was really dissapointed with her name for 2 reasons 1- it's not very final fantasy and 2- When i 1st played it I was in constant rows with my boss called Clair.

I think Claire was a pretty good name for her...I would have been shocked if it was susan or anne =_= I didnt mind Eclaire either ,but everytime I say it ,it reminds me of Cadbury chocolate.
I thought it was kind of weird that no one (not even Snow!?) mentions it after barthandelus says it,after the game built up some secrecy about her name (how lightning told Snow to ask Serah).they could've at least got Serah to call Lightning Claire at the end,right?

The only thing lightning about her is her hair_ The only name I liked was Vanille. FFXIII has a lot of french going on. I figured I'd look around and find out since half the wording in the game sounds french-like anyways. Explains why all the females are hott :kinky:

I think it was nice that at least they revealed her name, they could have just left it to our imagination.

It's not a bad name really, I think it suits her rather well, although considering all the other character names it seems very common. It's not that bad though.
I think I prefer the simple name than an overly extravagant one.

Back