Shinra / Shin-Ra ?

HEAR7ACHE

Gil
Why is Shinra called "Shin-Ra" in all dialogue etc. in the Japanese ff7 and Japanese advent children but in the usa/uk it is called "Shinra" if its not dialogue, like if its on a train in-game.

Just throwing that out there and don't get me wrong i think "Shin-Ra" looks better =3

A quick jump to Wikipedia told me this, though I'm not sure if it's accurate.

Shinra is the romanisation of the Japanese kanji 神羅, which is pronounced as two separate syllables "shin" and "ra". The Japanese version simply had it as "Shin-Ra" to acknowledge the two part kanji.

The English versions simply shows it as "Shinra" without the parsing. They probably thought it would look better or less Japanese for a western audience. Apparently Japan has stopped using "Shin-Ra" ever since for reasons unclear.

Last edited:
^ I pronounce it like CD, myself. :pikamon: And about the Shinra or Shin-Ra thing, I think Shin-Ra doesn't look as good, it looks out of place, the other; Shinra, looks more proper, but that's just me, so who knows. :P

Is the same thing with SeeD...
You pronounce Seed or like CD?

Try to make posts that contribute to the topic at hand, thanks. This is the FFVII section, and it's discussing Shin-Ra vs Shinra.

I actually didn't know about it being Shin-Ra in Japan, but I did know that the Shin-Ra spelling, which I've also seen as ShinRa, existed. I didn't know that it was something different to Japan vs the US/Europe

I prefer Shinra or ShinR if you must have the break there... but it doesn't change the pronounciation at all, so it doesn't matter much to me xD

Why is Shinra called "Shin-Ra" in all dialogue etc. in the Japanese ff7 and Japanese advent children but in the usa/uk it is called "Shinra" if its not dialogue, like if its on a train in-game.

Just throwing that out there and don't get me wrong i think "Shin-Ra" looks better =3

Well I don't see what the difference is between the two. Shin-Ra and Shinra both look like they would be pronounced the same to me. I've always said it, "Shin-Ra." I've never played the Japanese game, but I know in the American Version it just reads as Shinra.

Back