Sephiroth's Age?

Davey Gaga

Under you like a G.U.Y.
Veteran
Gil
So, I've started a new game of VII and have come to the realisation that I have absolutely no clue how old he is. By his looks, I've always assumed that he was much older than Cloud. Also, isn't Vincent around the same age as Cloud, save for a couple of years?

Here's where my problem begins ... Vincent was a grown man before
Lucrecia even conceived Sephiroth
. For Sephiroth to be older than Cloud, Vincent would have to be about 40+ by the time you meet him for the first time.

Help? :gasp:

Sephiroth is in his 30s or so I'm led to believe
reading up on Wikipedia, Lucrucia fell pregnant 30 years before the events of FF7, which is when the experiments started of Sephiroth while he was still in the womb, which means Vincent is an old dude.

From another site I read:
When Sephiroth was born, Lucrecia died. I assume this happened right away, since she claims she never got to hug her son in the cave scene during the game. (This leads me to wonder who named her son, since the meaning of the name is pretty interesting. Perhaps she did before his birth, since I'm assuming they knew the gender). It was most likely due to all the experimentation taking its toll, the cells being injected into her child leaking into her own body. I believe it was right in this time that Vincent went after Hojo for what he had let happen, and was subsequently shot, captured, used as an experiment himself, and then locked in the basement of the Shin-ra mansion where he slept for 30 years, dealing with the guilt of not being able to save the woman he loved.

Source: http://members.aol.com/JenesisX/SephPast.html (Links aren't hidden in spoiler tags, so be aware this link contains spoilers)

So yeah, should be in his thirties.

Last edited:
Remember, Vincent loved Lucrecia, who had a child with Hojo. You guessed it, Sephy. Therefore, we can assume that Vincent is older than Sephiroth. You are, presumably, getting confused by Vincent looking young. That data is unreliable, as Vincent was (a) experimented on by Hojo, and (b) in a coffin when you find him, and research shows that you live longer in a comatose/sleeping state. Therefore, we must look elsewhere for data. Hojo? Good idea. Hojo is a father, so it is safe to assume that he is older than 16. He is a high ranking scientist in ShinRa, so we can add another decade or so to that. 26. Lucrecia was around at the same time as Gast, so about 23 Hojo was, when Sephiroth was concieved. How old is Hojo? Quite old, he looks, and acts, about 50. So we can assume that, if my calculations are correct, that in FFVII Sephiroth is about 27 years old, 6 years older than Cloud.

Any objections to 27?

ps, Wikipedia is unreliable too.

Last edited:
i think about 27 too, vince is about 40 in ff7 but looks about the same age as cloud due to hojos experiments on the ex-turk. but i know seph was about 18 when he became general and this was while cloud was still a teenager cadet for soldier :) wish i could be better help

Well according to my handy dandy guide book, Sephiroth is around 25 years old during the events in Crisis Core. That would make him 26 during the events in Final Fantasy VII.

As for Vincent, he was 27 when Lucrecia conceived Sephie. He then is shot by Hojo and used as an experiment. Thanks to these experiments conducted on him, he is able to maintain his 27 year old appearence. He then locks himself away a coffin for 30 years, bringing his age to almost 60 years.

So Sephiroth is 5 years older than Cloud, and despite the fact that Vincent appears to be around Cloud's age, he is actually about 60 years old.

I hope that helped :gasp:

I'd agree with the general belief that they dont look anything as old as they should. Cid for example looks well younger in AC than he should be, considering he calls people kid etc.
I imagine Vincent wasnt meant to age when he was in the coffin all those years. It is also farely certain that Sephiroth wont have a similar lifespan to a normal human, because of the Jcells and the fact that he's farely alien. Besides, even if he was ~30, that would give him what 60 years tops to rule the universe etc?
The best way to work it out is probably research into journals released by the game developers, or to work out time scales based on previous games. We know Cloud is 21(?) during game time, there could be no way Sephiroth is younger than that. infact when cloud makes his promise at the well (aged 14?) Sephiroth is already an established first class, so he'd have to be more than five years older than cloud, or he'd be 19 at the top of his game, and had been first class for long enough to be very famous (~4 years). That would suggest he joined SOLDIER before he was 15, and had been in the regular army before which isnt impossible, but it seems unlikely, even though it was Sephiroth, as he only really seemed to get his superhuman powers after Nibelheim... yes joining the ranks of shinra at that age, but unlikely. I think Sephiroth would have to be older than early 30's.

Obviously if you got the 5years older than Cloud from a manual youre right, but id doubt it unless.

But i think the more acceptable answer is- he is 5 years older than Cloud, but Sephiroth didnt have a childhood and wasnt ever a child. Maybe once he was born he was stuffed in a tank and "grown" until he was a mature adult (aged 2 or something). That would mean he could easily be 19 at the top of his game, and the age thing doesnt really matter. Seems the simplest answer to me...

Anyone agree or disagree?

Well according to my handy dandy guide book, Sephiroth is around 25 years old during the events in Crisis Core. That would make him 26 during the events in Final Fantasy VII.

As for Vincent, he was 27 when Lucrecia conceived Sephie. He then is shot by Hojo and used as an experiment. Thanks to these experiments conducted on him, he is able to maintain his 27 year old appearence. He then locks himself away a coffin for 30 years, bringing his age to almost 60 years.

So Sephiroth is 5 years older than Cloud, and despite the fact that Vincent appears to be around Cloud's age, he is actually about 60 years old.

I hope that helped :gasp:

If Sephiroth is 26 in FVII as you've said, and Vincent slept for 30 years, that would suggest that Vincent went to sleep 4 years before Sephiroth was born, which doesn't make any sense as he went to sleep AFTER Lucrecia's death. (She either died during or just after giving birth, as she says she never got to hold her son and it was her death that caused Vincent to hunt Hojo down, causing him to be shot, captured and used in experiments)

So that being said, Sephiroth must be around 29/30.

If Sephiroth is 26 in FVII as you've said, and Vincent slept for 30 years, that would suggest that Vincent went to sleep 4 years before Sephiroth was born, which doesn't make any sense as he went to sleep AFTER Lucrecia's death. (She either died during or just after giving birth, as she says she never got to hold her son and it was her death that caused Vincent to hunt Hojo down, causing him to be shot, captured and used in experiments)

So that being said, Sephiroth must be around 29/30.

You're exactly right DLFlux! I was going based off of the information the guide book gave me, but it is obviously wrong.

I did a little more research into his age and re-read the Ultimania Guide Translations on another site. I don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but they have the complete timeline of all the events happening before, during, and after FF7. According to it, Sephiroth was born in 1972. He is thrown into the lifestream by Cloud in 2002, making his age at the time 30!

So yes, you are correct. There is no way he could have been 26, and I'm sorry for my error.

Source: http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/timeline.php

http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/timeline.php
^^ Just read through all of that. Just made me realise how epic the FFVII series is. Ive only ever played FFVII, I so wanna play every sidegame in chronological order to fully understand the series completley. Shame their all on different formats of console (n)
That timeline sure helped tho. I never realised that the 'Sephiroth', Cloud, etc was chasing round the world in FFVII was just Jenova formed into a image of Sephiroth. No wonder I got confused when the real Sephiroth is portrayed in the Lifestream, in the North Crater. I was like huh? If thats Sephiroth.. then whose that?

Makes sense now.. when Cloud 'killed' Sephiroth at the Neibelheim Mako Reactor, he chucked Sephiroth into the LifeStream? The energy stuff below? Sephiroth with the head of Jenova ended up at the North Crater and was enfused with the knowledge of Jenova and enegry of the LifeStream. It allowed him to call for a reunion, which started off all the Sephiroth copys moving around the world? He made Jenova into a image of himself at the Shinra HQ, and made her kill President ShinRa? Then all the Sephiroth copys embarked on the journey of Reunion to get to the real Sephiroth at the North Crater? If that's true it explains a lot of unanswered questions for me.

Sorry to go way off topic lol.
On Topic: Sephiroth's age? Thats a pretty good one. Imo he seems older than what he really is. It seems quite hard to accept that he is only in his early 30s. But when you look through the timeline, he must be that young. Pretty wierd lol, always viewed him as being around 40-50. Not jsut because of his looks, but his whole persona

Last edited:
Sephiroth is in his 30s or so I'm led to believe
reading up on Wikipedia, Lucrucia fell pregnant 30 years before the events of FF7, which is when the experiments started of Sephiroth while he was still in the womb, which means Vincent is an old dude.

From another site I read:
When Sephiroth was born, Lucrecia died. I assume this happened right away, since she claims she never got to hug her son in the cave scene during the game. (This leads me to wonder who named her son, since the meaning of the name is pretty interesting. Perhaps she did before his birth, since I'm assuming they knew the gender). It was most likely due to all the experimentation taking its toll, the cells being injected into her child leaking into her own body. I believe it was right in this time that Vincent went after Hojo for what he had let happen, and was subsequently shot, captured, used as an experiment himself, and then locked in the basement of the Shin-ra mansion where he slept for 30 years, dealing with the guilt of not being able to save the woman he loved.

Source: http://members.aol.com/JenesisX/SephPast.html (Links aren't hidden in spoiler tags, so be aware this link contains spoilers)

So yeah, should be in his thirties.
Vincent was put to sleep as it were before Sephiroths birth. His 'sin' was too allow such an experiment happen to the girl he loved. After Hojo's experiments, Vincent was on the brink of death and was saved only by Lucretia implanting Chaos into Vincents body (tho this is revealed in DoC and not original game).

I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to assume that Vince is a lot older than he looks. The game makes him up to be a vampire in every way, the garb, cloak, casket naps. I always just figured Vince was in his hundreds or so, not surprising me even slightly when he was older than everyone and looked as young as them all.

By the way, that Sephiroth that you're asking questions about is a clone, I'm not sure how clones age, but I have a feeling that under any circumstances we saw him, he'd look forever young.

Vincent was put to sleep as it were before Sephiroths birth. His 'sin' was too allow such an experiment happen to the girl he loved. After Hojo's experiments, Vincent was on the brink of death and was saved only by Lucretia implanting Chaos into Vincents body (tho this is revealed in DoC and not original game).

Just finished DoC, and still under the impression that Vincent goes to sleep after Sephiroth is born.

Because in one of the cut-scenes, Vincent is still in that water tank thingy, and Lucrecia is shouting at Hojo saying "give my son back!" and ofcourse, we find Vincent asleep in a coffin in the Shinra mansion.

By the way, that Sephiroth that you're asking questions about is a clone, I'm not sure how clones age, but I have a feeling that under any circumstances we saw him, he'd look forever young.
Clones are subject to decay and disassembly so as a general consensus their age expectancy isn’t that good. They age considerably faster and die much sooner. If Sephiroth was indeed a clone (although I don’t believe he was) then he should have looked much older than he appeared to look in FFVII.

Pretty wierd lol, always viewed him as being around 40-50. Not jsut because of his looks, but his whole persona
Heh. Exactly the same with me. I previously believed he was around 40 years old, simply because of the way he acted and the persona he just gave off. I guess the case has been solved - Sephiorth was 30 in FFVII.

Clones are subject to decay and disassembly so as a general consensus their age expectancy isn’t that good. They age considerably faster and die much sooner. If Sephiroth was indeed a clone (although I don’t believe he was) then he should have looked much older than he appeared to look in FFVII.

Heh. Exactly the same with me. I previously believed he was around 40 years old, simply because of the way he acted and the persona he just gave off. I guess the case has been solved - Sephiorth was 30 in FFVII.

With the case of Sephiroth, it truly does prove age is only a number lol.
If my parents ever give me that usual shit about them being 40 and having lived so much more than me, I'll be like "bitches stfu, Sephiroth was only around 10 years older than me and he coulda owned the world kpls"

I wouldn't really do that but hey :P

His hair is grey so I'd say 78 :wacky: if you take off his hair than he would look about 30...

his hair is way too long for him to be 78. It's also silver not grey, so it's probably died

Well Vincent is Older than Sephiroth since he was there when Sephiroth was born which means he's around 30

He is 'around 25' in Crisis Core which will make him 'around' 30ish in VII

The grey/silver hair just seems to be a regular hair colour like blonde, brown or whatever IMO

Id guess his age is 30. He doesnt appear too old or too young, so 30 is for me a decent age guess.

Back