PlayStation Home

QuickSilverD

I Think... Therefore You Are
Gil
Ps3_playstationhome_logo.jpg

PlayStation Home is a new community based service for the PlayStation Network, which allows users to create an avatar character for their PlayStation 3 console. This avatar will get their own house, which can be adorned by items players can receive in several achievements. In the future the service will also expand, allowing players to have more sorts of clothing, as well as hold pets.

In the world outside of the player's house, players can chat and meet other community-members. This will create a Second life-like experience, where one can invite their friends, hang out and communicate via voice chat, or normal text chat, listen to music, play a game or exchange content. People who enter each other's "homes" can stream the host's music and videos from their HDD.

There are public and private spaces for every user. Aside from homes by players, developers and publishers will also make their own houses, which can be visited by players to receive new content or download new footage.

The world of PlayStation Home will not only consist of players' houses, but there will also be arcade-games that can be played, as well as games like pool billiards and bowling. Sony will also install cinemas, that allow players to watch and download new content and trailers.

History
A community-based service has been the subject of speculation since the launch of the PlayStation Network. Sony has expressed interest in such a system, specifically the achievements, for first-party titles, though they never released any specific information regarding it.

PlayStation Home, as a feature, was first mentioned in an interview with NG-Gamer[7], detailed by Kotaku [8], and finally confirmed by NG-Gamer[9]. It was officially announced by Phil Harrison on Wednesday March 7th, 2007, during his keynote speech at the 2007 Game Developers Conference

The beta of PlayStation Home starts in April 2007, and the service will launch in the fall of 2007.

youtube video

That sounds cool. Kinda like The Sims :lol:
I think this idea will really take off. It's giving players the option to get to meet people who they're playing against online, and from the sound of it it's going to work like a forum

It looks more like a Second Life to me. It is promising, and i have to admit that all the Hall of fame thing looks really cool.

It's a good idea and I ike the look of it but I doubt I'll use it very often except to set up multi-player games, I usually use consoles to play these games not chat with people I'm about to pwn.

PS Home sounds and looks a lot more innovative than xbox live. And its free!:) Sony is finally getting back on track. Can't wait to try out all the features they been mentioning.

A lot of people have said that but I really don't see it. SL is very similar to Sony's Home. THe Mii thing is a cutsie thing Nintendo added but didn't really put a ton of effort into. You're characters are just cutsie little things that can be imported into a game or two. It's just a novelty. Nothing more. THis is a lot more supported.

Wahh. I didn't see the video link. o_O
That looks tight.

I'm not a big internet gamer though. =\

Ah, sounds interesting! Um, kinda reminds me of neopets in a way. Yes, I played neopets once upon a time in my life. >.< But this really sound promising...to those that are interested, anyway. I'll definitely give it a try!

A lot of people have said that but I really don't see it. SL is very similar to Sony's Home. THe Mii thing is a cutsie thing Nintendo added but didn't really put a ton of effort into. You're characters are just cutsie little things that can be imported into a game or two. It's just a novelty. Nothing more. THis is a lot more supported.

It's similar to the Mii's in that it is a personalized avatar, it's closer to The Sims though imo. But even with the greater depth and stuff it's still a glorified online chatroom, nice idea if it's going to be genuinely free for all time but it's a nice novelty more than anything and not a seller of consoles.

Phil Harrison has said that everything you can do in Home, can be do thought the XMB (Cross Media Bar) so if anyone doesn't like the idea they can live homeless in shelter (punch intended :lol:)

But the service is also free, yes there will be a lot of advertising but Phil said that our private area :-)lol:) or "Home" will be add-free. The thing looks promising so far, the worse thing I hear people say is "is cool, but not for me" there is no way that this can go wrong, and I congrats Sony for this.

By the way Beta testing starts in April... .... uhmp

Back