Paradigm Shift

DeadFantasy

Mysterious Warrior
Veteran
Gil
Well for starters, I couldn't find a thread of this topic but, do feel free to move it where you think it'd be best at etc. =]

Paradigm Shift
TYPES
Commando(COM)
Ravager (RAV)
Sentinel (SEN)
Synergist (SYN)
Medic (MED)
Saboteur (SAB)
--------

Commando-Build attack chains more easily with enhanced strength.

Ravager-Charge enemy chain gauges with concentrated attacks.

Sentinel-Shield allies from enemy attacks with enhanced defense.

Synergist-Support allies with an array of magical enhancements.

Medic- Focus on restoring HP and removing status ailments.

Saboteur-Enfeeble enemies while charging their chain gauges.

--------

Here's my question to you guys:

What do you think is the best for each character and why?
What's your strategy? Do you balance it out or focus
on one thing for every character?

Feel Free to expand on it :)

Saboteurs are growing on me. My strategy always involving staggering, as it should. Saboteurs are basically commandos in that department, and combine that with debuffs that make it so that you can get 5 digit damage once you stagger the opponent. Absolutely insane.

EDIT: Oh, full paradigm. I generally have the following:
SAB, RAV, RAV
COM, RAV, RAV
COM, COM, RAV
COM, RAV, MED
SEN, COM, RAV
COM, RAV, SYN

Now, obviously, these are changed for boss battles depending on the strategy.

COM and RAV are always there (for the most part) because I need RAV to build the chain gauge and COM to maintain it. I start on SAB, RAV, RAV though, should there only be one or two strong enemies. This way I can debuff as well as build the chain gauge.

Last edited:
Nice topic! I was going to create something similar but you beat me to it. :awesome:

Ravagers for me (Dualcasting), and it helps me heaps! But I won't start off with that initially. I always have Commandos / Ravagers (Slash and Burn) start off as my default, then almost halfway into it I'll switch to my Ravagers which does help build enough chains to stagger the opponent. However, before I hit the stagger mode, I'll make sure to switch to War & Peace first that way I won't have to worry about healing while in stagger mode, and then typically that's enough to bring the enemies into stagger mode so I then switch to Slash & Burn while the enemies are in stagger mode. (Wordiness ftl!)

But yes, that's pretty much my tactic, and I'll sometimes use Undermine in the beginning of the fight if I want to Deshell or Deprotect a boss. But for the most part, Commandos and Ravagers are my main paradigms. In other words...I just follow what the guide says. xD

I answered this in another topic, but I'll provide a shortened version here.

Fang-best Commando
Lightning-best Ravager
Snow-best Sentinel
Hope-best Medic
Sazh-best Synergist
Vanille-best Saboteur

Best party based on stats, diversity, and paradigms:
Lightning, Hope, and Fang.

I use the same tactic for FFXIII as I do any of the old ones, I focus on offense. One nifty benefit to this game is the lack of an MP system, so magic can basically be infinite in a battle. But either way, Commando and Ravager are my prime roles with Medic as the support. The Ravager raises the chain and Commando holds it's place for the next wave of Ravager actions. My most used paradigm in a 3 person party is with a Commando and 2 Ravagers, them simply switch one Ravager to a Medic if needed. For a 2 person party, I use 1 Commando and 1 Ravager to start, then when the chain gets to 50% or so, change the Commando to a Ravager til stagger. If needed, the Ravager gets changed to the Medic.

I will say that I find Protect and Shell to be beneficial and Haste, obviously, but the others I can do without, so I don't rely much on Synergists. Saboteurs only have Deprotect and Deshell that I find very useful, but the effect doesn't last long and it's not that easy to inflict, so I tend to not use that much either. I'll say that I really like the idea of the Sentinel, and even though it's not a role that has a damaging effect offensively, it's awesome when you have a group of like 8 enemies and just have them focus on one to either heal, protect or just buy some time.

I've only just gotten to the point in the game where I can select my party, so I haven't done much experimenting with setups yet. I like the setup Hope has for a support character, but his HP is so damn low, but he might be getting in there soon enough.

I normally play without a synergist only swapping one in for IMMENSELY hard boss battles. So normally I play with Lightning, Fang and Vanille, this gives me several decent options, Relentless Assault and aggresion are the main two, with Diversity and Combat Clinic for when healing is nedded. Delta Attac and Mystic tower tend to get used when I'm fighting larger groups of enemies in order to reduce the damage to the two damage dealers, and take all the damage on the one with most health.

Two saboteurs and a commando/ ravager/ medic is also very useful occassionally, especially when you are fighting an enemy that you need weakened with deshell or deprotect quickly in order to stagger it as fast as possible.

I am a fan of support magic in this game so I always start off with Commando/Ravager + Synergist + Saboteur then afterwards switch to an all out offensive with a Medic, because I don't trust myself to be actively using the potions, if necessary so I can get out as much damage as I can within a quicker amount of time. For the most part this strategy has been working out throughout the game so far well so i have not found a need to change it.

I answered this in another topic, but I'll provide a shortened version here.

Fang-best Commando
Lightning-best Ravager
Snow-best Sentinel
Hope-best Medic
Sazh-best Synergist
Vanille-best Saboteur

Best party based on stats, diversity, and paradigms:
Lightning, Hope, and Fang.

Its should be noted that although the party you've specified is the most balanced in terms of primary roles and stats, Fang can be switched for Snow to take advantage of the most damaging paradigm in the game.

Tri-Disaster.

Not only will you send your opponent's chain gauge into oblivion but the damage multiplier sours with Ravagers piling into the fray. Not to mention the fact that if your adversary suffers a specific elemental weakness the paradigm can break them in moments.

The official guide warned me against changing that core party. So I changed it :wacky:

EDIT: Sazh is also joint best SYN with Hope in terms of overall performance.

Tri-Disaster is good, except without a Commando you'll lose the chain gauge easily. It's best to go in with Relentless Assault for one round, then switch to Tri-Disaster, assuming your party doesn't need healing.

Adding on to what I said earlier:
That is legitimately the best party, based on stats, paradigms, etc. However, go with whoever you feel comfortable with. It's entirely possible to beat the game with any number of characters, and if you're trying to max out all the characters, it shouldn't matter who you use endgame since you'll max all of them out anyway for the optional bosses/missions.

am I the only one who has trouble staggering some enemies. it's like their stagger is 150%, and I get the gauge up to 149% but it won't go past that then once we're done attacking. it immediately quickly drops all the way back down. WTF is going on?

Use a Commando and two Ravagers. The Commandos keep the chain gauges up. I told you this in the other topic too. If you have that much trouble, use 2 Commandos and a Ravager for about 3 turns, then switch to 3 Ravagers.

Since I have yet to post anything in this thread i'll go ahead :awesome: I also forgot to mention the names for the shifts and whatnot :hmmm: (like Peace and War for istance) but, ah well D:

*I'll do my best combo in battle later for now, i'm just going to explain what I think is best for every character*

Since it is my first play through, i'm just messing with it and trying different things for every character but, later on in the future i'll probably do things different.

Though, this is what i've noticed that's been working the best for me:

Lightning-
Cammando & Ravager
She has very good strength and high magic, making her have a speciality in these two areas.

Snow-
Commando & Sentinel

has highest HP out of everyone and strength as well which makes he really good at these two things.

Vanille-
Medic & Saboteur

She has very high magic (which also can make her good at ravager) and therefore, she's very handy when it comes to heal & magic. She has low HP but, with saboteur she's very fast with it making it easier to stagger enemies with.

Hope-
Medic & Synergist

For me, Hope is very weak in strength so, I use him mainly for healing (if Vanille isn't in) and Synergist to help out the party. I also like him in ravager as well if i'm trying to stagger and/or no one needs healed etc.

Sazh-
Commando, Ravager & Synergist

he's a mixture for me. He has both decent strength and decent magic. I also think synergist works well with him too. (also depends on battle and members) but he's so-so. Though, not weak enough in strength to be a medic so, thats why I chose commando.
:monster:

Since I have yet to post anything in this thread i'll go ahead :awesome: I also forgot to mention the names for the shifts and whatnot :hmmm: (like Peace and War for istance) but, ah well D:

*I'll do my best combo in battle later for now, i'm just going to explain what I think is best for every character*

Since it is my first play through, i'm just messing with it and trying different things for every character but, later on in the future i'll probably do things different.

Though, this is what i've noticed that's been working the best for me:

Lightning-
Cammando & Ravager
She has very good strength and high magic, making her have a speciality in these two areas.

Snow-
Commando & Sentinel

has highest HP out of everyone and strength as well which makes he really good at these two things.

Vanille-
Medic & Saboteur

She has very high magic (which also can make her good at ravager) and therefore, she's very handy when it comes to heal & magic. She has low HP but, with saboteur she's very fast with it making it easier to stagger enemies with.

Hope-
Medic & Synergist

For me, Hope is very weak in strength so, I use him mainly for healing (if Vanille isn't in) and Synergist to help out the party. I also like him in ravager as well if i'm trying to stagger and/or no one needs healed etc.

Sazh-

he's a mixture for me. He has both decent strength and decent magic. I also think synergist works well with him too. (also depends on battle and members) but he's so-so. Though, not weak enough in strength to be a medic so, thats why I chose commando.

do you not use fang, are you near the begning of the game since that how it seems from what you said.

Any way fang str is 400 above every one else on my team at the moment. with no items are anything to boost her str.

Lighting and snow str is about the same at times lighting str is higher while at others snow is higher. in the end they basicaly have the same str.

lighting have good magic as well and decent hp so since she good in all statues unlike any one else. she very good i mainly use her commando and medic very rearly do i use her rev.

fang is mainly commando and change to her sab when facing a hard battle, as well as her sen some times. she really good as a sen since she learns all the sklls for it and she have not as good as hp as snow but still good hp.

hope have the very best magic attack so i use him as a rev and medic.
Know when a hard battle comes my way i will change him to syn to buff every one.

the other 3 i do not use however i do keep them lvl to the max they can in all their top 3 jobs in cp. like i do my man 3 characters.

lighting/hope/fang
commando/rev/commando
rev/medic/commando
medic/medic/sen
rev/rev/commando
medic/syn/sab
medic/medic/sab

these are what i use, however for most battle commando/rev/commando
is what i use.

do you not use fang, are you near the begning of the game since that how it seems from what you said.
Yeah, I haven't gotten Fang on my team sadly =[ Though, I think I should be getting her soon :hmmm:
I got XIII on Sunday so far i'm about 10 and a half hrs in the game so hopefully soon i'll get 'er D:

I mean of course i'll use my main three faves the most but, it's no fun IMO D: I like switching it up every now and then because that's how I like it x]

-will get to battle combo later-

Lightning-
Cammando & Ravager

Snow-
Commando & Sentinel

Vanille-
Medic & Saboteur

Hope-
Medic & Synergist

Sazh-

Lightning's stunning versatility makes her great across the commando and ravager roles but her strong magic stat also makes her a robust healer to have in a fix.

Snow makes a great ravager with the elemental '-strikes' and works brilliantly in a team using tri disaster.

Hope makes an excellent ravager because of his colossal magic stat. He's almost as effective on the offense as he is in defense.

Lightning's stunning versatility makes her great across the commando and ravager roles but her strong magic stat also makes her a robust healer to have in a fix.

Snow makes a great ravager with the elemental '-strikes' and works brilliantly in a team using tri disaster.

Hope makes an excellent ravager because of his colossal magic stat. He's almost as effective on the offense as he is in defense.

I do agree with your points and whatnot because your right they do. I just prefer them in those certain things in what I mean.
It also depends on certain things as well so their stats will vary but I do completely agree with you=]

This paradigm shift is something that will definitely take time to get used to :)
well good that now i can handle it good :)

I personally think paradigms are a great idea :D its defintely a one up to the Gambits on FF 12

My characters are as follows:
Lighning - COM + Ravager
Hope - Medic + Synergist
Snow - Sentinel + COM
Fang - Sentinel + COM
Vannile - Sabotour + Medic
Sazh - Synergist + Ravager

this is working pretty well for me even though they are all balanced in whatever they can get (max ATM) but only on Chapter 9

Well, since i'm further into the game and I got Fang, i'll go ahead and post what I liked her best in.

Fang-

Commando & Sentinel

I would deff say that my Vanille is a better Saboteur then my Fang. She really does have high HP and strength and she's really useful in these two roles. Dhe doesn't have a higher HP then my Snow but, she's up there. I also think she has the best strength :hmmm: not too sure though.

I always use Lightning, Hope, and Fang with this paradigm deck:

Delta Attack - Commando (L), Ravager (H), Sentinel (F)
Relentless Attack - Ravager (L), Ravager (H), Commando (F)
Solidarity - Commando (L), Medic (H), Sentinel (F)
Combat Clinic - Medic (L), Medic (H), Sentinel (F)
Mystic Tower - Ravager (L), Ravager (H), Sentinel (F)
Evened Odds - Medic (L), Synergist (H), Saboteur (F)

This doesn't fail me very often. I've lost a few times in the Archylte Steppe, but that was because I underestimated the power of the enemies. In other words, I got a bit ahead of myself. ^ ^; But I have not lost a single boss battle so far (excluding eidolons X-x), so it's a pretty good plan. Delta Attack lets a very defensive Fang to take all the damage while Lightning+Hope stagger enemies one by one and eliminate them. I only use Relentless Attack when an enemy is staggered or when I know I can decimate the enemy party. Solidarity is for minor healing, but if you're really hurting, Combat Clinic will have you healed back to full in seconds, though I prefer using Renew in trying times. I hardly ever use Mystic Tower and Evened Odds I keep for boss battles that typically call for it. Those bosses are really long, so having a buffed up team and a debuffed enemy is really helpful. =3

That's my strategy, anyway~~

Back