One hour of exp per day limit?

Death's Head

Freelance Peacekeeping Agent
Gil
I found this on another forum I go to, and it made me stop and say "What the fuck?!?

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/36275-s...l_fantasy_xiv/

http://kotaku.com/5621786/final-fantasy-xivs-play+limiting-fatigue-system-explained

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/11964-surplus-and-you-komoto-speaks/

Basically, the gist of it is this:

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…

They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:

Recovery takes time.

2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”

The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.

It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.

It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.
Sure it's still in the beta stages, but apparently this 'method' SE has implemented is the real deal. As someone said on another forum about this:

"Hell, if anyone has played Mass Effect, this is something similar to the whole "we control your evolution" thing the Reapers love going on about."

Methinx we need Shepard to come and kick their ass.

It's unlikely to bother me, since I doubt I'll have time to play much longer than that (and I'll probably switch classes).

But I think they really need to increase the limits if they don't want 'hardcore' players to get disinterested in the game.

This sounds a lot like the rest system in WoW, except in reverse. In WoW (World of Warcraft) the longer you stay logged out in an inn/resting place, you accumulate rest, which causes you to gain more exp per kill/quest until it runs out.

FFXIV seems to be something opposite of that. I don't know if they're just trying to limit the time kids play on it, or if it's their way of controlling the amount of content the player can do/how fast they can do it.

ffxiv3.jpg

Life is all about balance. Unless you play MMOs; in which case, life is a series of marathon play sessions that culminate in you sitting atop an ever-growing pile of virtual loot that’s always just seconds away from becoming obsolete.

Square, however, is implementing a system that eventually takes away players’ ability to gain experience points if they don’t take a breather every once in a while. Hooray, right? If you said “yes,” you clearly don’t understand MMO players.

After an irate swarm of players minimized their FFXI windows for a whole five minutesgame director Nobuaki Komoto explained why he thinks such a system is necessary to maintain balance. in order to voice their dissatisfaction with Final Fantasy XIV’s experience-limiting system,

“First off, the main concept behind FFXIV is allowing those players with little time on their hands to play effectively, and game balance is based off of that. Furthermore, it is being designed to not give those with more time on their hands to play an unfair advantage. Because of that, systems such as Guardian’s Favor (a bonus to Guildleves) have been implemented to make leveling in the short-term easier than leveling in the long-term,” he said on the game’s Japanese beta site (as translated by a member of FFXIV Core).

“To achieve this balance, the amount of possible skill/experience points earned after a certain period of time has a threshold. Think of it as real-life ‘fatigue’ from working at improving your skills via battle.”
That threshold is eight hours. After that, it’s pretty much all downhill, and after an additional seven hours, you’ll be raking in a big fat zero XP no matter how many big fat baddies you bring down.

“This system is on a weekly timer. After a week has passed since you began skilling that particular weapon, the timer will reset. It will start anew when you skill up again,” he added.

15 hours each week? That barely even qualifies as a part-time job. Jeez, you’d think they were trying to make this enjoyable or something.

In order to achieve this balance, we calculated a value for the amount of skill or experience points that could be earned in a one-hour period. This theoretical value represents an hour spent engaged solely in combat, levequests, or any other activities that earn skill or experience points, and sets a threshold delimiting how many of these points can be earned in a period of play.

Based on this, we have implemented a “threshold value” concept. These thresholds are regulated by a one-week timer that begins counting down the instant you earn skill/experience points. After a week has passed, the thresholds will reset, and the moment skill/experience points are earned again, the timer begins counting down anew.

For the first eight thresholds during this week-long period, players will receive skill/experience points at the maximum rate possible. The actual amount of time spent reaching these thresholds is not significant. That is to say, a player who exceeds eight hours of gameplay will still be rewarded the maximum amount of skill/experience points, so long as the total amount earned is below the eighth threshold value. For the subsequent seven thresholds, players will earn skill/experience points at a gradually decreasing rate, eventually reaching a rate of zero.

It is worth noting, however, that the reduced rate will also gradually recover while players are engaged in activities that do not yield skill/experience points. In this manner, it is possible for the threshold value to reset completely, even before the completion of the one-week timer.

8 hours of STRAIGHT COMBAT until you start getting surplus EXP

that means you would have to be doing absolutely nothing but grind enemies, for 8 solid hours, before you would even notice a difference in how much EXP you were getting.

think about that for a second. if you pause to craft, mine, heal, go do local guildleves, even watch storyline cutscenes, these do not count towards the 8 hour time limit. unless you are absolutely hardcore, spending at least a dozen hours a week on this game for the sole purpose of grinding one stat, you will feel nothing different in how you level up. and if you somehow get to this point, you can still gain EXP until you hit 15 before your EXP tanks. and even then you can reset this timer simply by waiting a week or training another stat.

frankly I think this forces people to be creative and not just spend 80 hours a week trying to max out one class as soon as possible. which is a good thing.

It should be up to the player to decide IF they want to go craft or level another job though, not have it forced upon them due to bad game design. I can understand SE trying to tailor it for those who can't play much, due to outside commitments. But for those who want to level their favorite job and focus on that (I'm guilty of this myself, currently focused on leveling my Samurai in FFXI), you get penalized for staying with it.

A lot of people from the linkshells I'm a member of, dislike (to put it politely) this whole idea of SE's. The LS head, did say how it will more than likely get rid of the 1337ers from FFXI, but with this system they'll more than likely be back not long after FFXIV's release.

Yes I'm a hardcore gamer of FFXI, I admit that freely. FFXIV's system, as it stands at the moment, is a bad idea and is causing a lot of people not just in FFXI but also on other forums to reconsider about whether or not to get FFXIV. Will I get it? Depends on A: This whole 'system' is either trashed for something more traditional or more thought is put into how it is carried out and B: When it's ported to the Xbox 360, which shouldn't be too hard as FFXI was ported from the PC version to Xbox 360.

EDIT: That raises another remark; The whole SE vs Microsoft about FFXIV on Xbox Live Silver vs Xbox Live Gold. SE stated they want FFXIV to play over Xbox Live Silver as they feel the extra cost involved for getting Xbox Live Gold membership is too much, as you add FFXIV's fees (which apparently if you link your FFXI account to your FFXIV account, your monthly fee for FFXI is supposedly halved. I'm not too sure about that, so if someone could get confirmation or not, it'd be appreciated.) on top. However, the majority of Xbox 360 users already HAVE Xbox Live Gold Membership, as that is also used for the vast majority of other Xbox 360 titles. That there, imo, is just SE being stingy bastards.

Last edited:
EDIT: That raises another remark; The whole SE vs Microsoft about FFXIV on Xbox Live Silver vs Xbox Live Gold. SE stated they want FFXIV to play over Xbox Live Silver as they feel the extra cost involved for getting Xbox Live Gold membership is too much, as you add FFXIV's fees (which apparently if you link your FFXI account to your FFXIV account, your monthly fee for FFXI is supposedly halved. I'm not too sure about that, so if someone could get confirmation or not, it'd be appreciated.) on top. However, the majority of Xbox 360 users already HAVE Xbox Live Gold Membership, as that is also used for the vast majority of other Xbox 360 titles. That there, imo, is just SE being stingy bastards.

LOL I think its the other way around, the people behind Microsoft are all stingy bastard to no extend, money greedy bastards...

Anyways I heard/read (official or unofficial) the reason why FF14 on xbox360 is still in debate, is because Xboxlive is an CLOSED server/environment as in ps3 PSN = OPEN.

Now im not sure what open or closed mean, but I think it has something to do with the security etc..or rights..I dont know

I secretly hope PSN servers and PC servers can play in the same actual servers...so not only PSN people with eachother etc..and the xbox cant play with PC servers?? see that is what I dont understand PC and Xboxlive is both microsoft I reckon.... :P

It should be up to the player to decide IF they want to go craft or level another job though, not have it forced upon them due to bad game design..

:holyshit:
Heaven forbid, a game company that wants you to explore different parts of the game instead of a person flying to top level and then not knowing *beep* about anything else!

Heaven forbid, a game company that wants you to explore different parts of the game instead of a person flying to top level and then not knowing *beep* about anything else!

Heaven forbid a gamer wanting to play the game they paid for, and pay for per month, their way. Now I don't particularly care what they do with the exp on this game (I won't be playing it), but from what is posted here I would agree that it's pretty strict, forcing the gamer to choose a different play style by switching jobs to gain exp.

I do think the idea is good in general, it just shouldn't be this strict, since the game is an MMO, which usually requires grinding/leveling to get to the end game content.

As Seru_Kai and others have pointed out, if a person is paying a monthly subscription to play a game, they should be able to play that game anyway they like, instead of having it forced how to play period. Some people may like crafting, or whatnot and that's fine. For me, I've been playing FFXI since December 06, and I haven't done any endgame stuff etc nor have I leveled every single job in the game. I play it how I want to play it. This 'enforcement' is a bad move by SE imho, and a lot of gamers won't like it one bit. This just smells like SE rushing to get FFXIV out on the market before BioWare's MMO, The Old Republic, comes out (which imo, will destroy FFXIV).

i understand what you mean by this, coz it will stop newbie people at top level with no money and no idea how to acturly do other things on the game but i do also agree with everyone else about the face that we are paying for it so we can play the game how we want to.

but by the sounds of it that everyone has said on this post, it wont make any difference as after you have finished bashing mobs for 8 hours straight u can just pick up the next weapond and bash them somem ore for another 8 hours straight lol.

or you can go on and improve other aspects of the game and do a craft or somthing which is also good.

i just hope they can find a good balance between all this sort of thing.

Balance with this is what I am most concerned about. SE has said that they are taking another look at the amount of "experience" needed to hit this cap. They said that people are finding ways to grind experience much faster than they expected so they will be adjusting this. However, the system will be in place for launch.

I am hoping that this will stimulate the new economy with more experience crafters soon after launch than normal. But, one thing I ended up hating with FFXI was the limitations on such things as chocobo digging and fishing. I spend a lot of time leveling up both and both were shot down by having a ridiculously small cap of items that I could collect in a day (only 100 from chocobo digging, I could dig that up in 15 minutes). So, I am hoping for better balance this time around.

That is annoying though becuase at the momment they are judgeing that by the beta's im guessing? becuase why are people going to level up skills when they cant make money off of it becuase it wont be their real char when they get the game later on this month.

People will just level up for fun because there is no point in doing anything else at the momment.

i know what you mean by that, i myself used to cook fish woodworking and cho digging to make money.... was VERY profitable but then the ban came on the items per day and that sucked!

I don't particularly how Square-Enix are being stingy on this one, they want everyone to be able to play and not just limit it to the Live Gold owners, Microsoft just want to make sure they can more money out of it. Oh, and get this, Microsoft have upped the amount it costs for Gold as well. Surprise, surprise, Micro$oft trying to screw their fanbase out of money.

Like Zhigen said, balance.

As Seru_Kai and others have pointed out, if a person is paying a monthly subscription to play a game, they should be able to play that game anyway they like, instead of having it forced how to play period. Some people may like crafting, or whatnot and that's fine. For me, I've been playing FFXI since December 06, and I haven't done any endgame stuff etc nor have I leveled every single job in the game. I play it how I want to play it. This 'enforcement' is a bad move by SE imho, and a lot of gamers won't like it one bit. This just smells like SE rushing to get FFXIV out on the market before BioWare's MMO, The Old Republic, comes out (which imo, will destroy FFXIV).
you arent paying a monthly fee square announced it will be a pay for 30 day thing when you play those 30 days you will get billed for another 30 if you dont play every single day then it isnt a monthly fee if you play every single day then of course you will get billed monthly.

you arent paying a monthly fee square announced it will be a pay for 30 day thing when you play those 30 days you will get billed for another 30 if you dont play every single day then it isnt a monthly fee if you play every single day then of course you will get billed monthly.

Is that right? hmm I did not know that...but the fatique system has turned me off..I might not play it anyway.. its 12.99 us dollars and imo that is cheap but since they implented the fatique system Ive changed my mind..

You still have to pay a fee regardless.

TBH sounds more like Western Market getting screwed by an Eastern Market.

Western Market = Monthly Subs

Eastern Market = Pay per Play

Who wins with this game mechanic?

Back