Man with headaches had knife in head for 4 years

Rapture

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
"BEIJING - Surgeons in southern China successfully removed a rusty, 4-inch knife from the skull of a man who said it had been stuck in there for four years, the hospital said Friday.

Li Fuyan, 30, had been suffering from severe headaches, bad breath and breathing difficulties but never knew the cause of his discomfort, said the senior official at the Yuxi City People's Hospital in Yunnan Province.

Li told doctors he had been stabbed in the lower right jaw by a robber four years ago and the blade broke off inside his head without anyone realizing it, said the director of the hospital's Communist Party committee's office who would only give his surname, He.

Surgeons worked cautiously to remove the badly-corroded blade without shattering it, He said. The hospital's website also reported the successful surgery.

The case, which one of the doctors described as a "miracle," has been widely covered by the Chinese media and discussed on the Internet."

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/18/ap/strange/main20033301.shtml

Another of todays news stories that baffles the mind...this is totally a miracle. Still, I'd be interested in knowing which MD takes an accident history knowing this man was stabbed with a knife in his head and doesn't do a CT, MRI or even a plain Jane ex-ray to identify the cranial involvement of the injury...and who does his examining assessment and thinks "Oh well. There's nothing besides a cut here and this man is obviously still conscious. No harm done." :ffs:

I suffer from headaches and migraines weekly.. and have done since I was a kid. I wonder if I have a knife in my head too. :hmmm:

No one noticed for four years... I mean wow. If I had a headache for that long, I think I'd figure out that something was up. Doesn't anyone use their brain?

That's pretty creepy, I was under the impression that it was common practice for doctors to look back at a patients medical history. If they knew he'd been stabbed earlier on in his life, I'd expect them to piece the two events together and realise something was seriously wrong.

It's good that the operation was a success though.

Eek, that's so creepy :ness: I can't even think about having that stuck in there. But yeah, an MRI would've been good. I mean, they are expensive though if you don't have the right insurance, maybe he just couldn't afford to get it done at the time? I'm not really sure how emergency situations work with that, but I've turned down an MRI once when I didn't think I needed it, in a non-emergency situation...

Its china ur talking about. Scans are expensive, particularly if you are poor. Rather, most people would rather work than be sick, so maybe the poor guy thought it was just stress related pains from the robbery.

When I first read this story a few days ago I was like WTF?

How the hell did this guy not get a proper look at when the incident first occured?

They should have done scans and what not to make sure no bits of the knife got stuck as a precaution.

Some doctors are fucking stupid.

Reminds me of the guy who was so shitfaced he didn't realize he'd been shot in the head. Years later or something, he was complaining about some pains and they opened his skull up and took it out :wacky:

The head aches i understand but would that really give him bad breath 8(

4 years is a fucking long time aswell. How thats never been noticed before is a bit mad. Youd think after getting stabbed in the head the hospital would run x rays or soemthing no? I wonder if hes getting a claim or anything. If so itd probadly be a big one, lucky sod will be rolling in money.

I thought if he was stabbed in his lower jaw that he would have felt more pain in his jaw or at least the blade would have caused an infection in that area after a while but he had the thing in him for 4 years. At least the doctors eventually found the problem to the mans discomfort and the guy got the blade out without the blade shattering on him

The head aches i understand but would that really give him bad breath 8(
I'm thinking he got the bad breath from recurrent infection because I thought they mentioned somewhere the blade ended up or went through his mouth somewhere. What's really amazing is how he's had the blade in his body for 4 years and never had any form of sepsis.

Last edited:
Yeah, that'd do it.

I feel extremely bad for the guy. I suffered really bad migraines as a kid (so bad I often had to be hospitalized) and to imagine having this kind of pain constantly for four years is just.. wow.

By contrast, I bet he feels like a million bucks now though.

Wow, that's incredible. I've heard of people having things stuck in places for years, but that's the first I've heard involving an actual knife in the head. The guy's lucky to be alive. I guess he'll finally be able to live normally without all the headaches and such.

Holy crap a rusty knife in his head for FOUR years?! That's crazy...and the effects it gave him like bad breath? Glad he survived though.

The world's full of crazy news.

Seems like he wasn't really...
*puts on shades*
...thinking sharp.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, yeah I can't imagine a knife in someone's head for four years. He must be really fortunate.

You know, for some odd reason after reading all of this, only one thing comes to my mind:
thblackmagestabsthefighter.gif

I wonder if this guy was robbed by Black Mage...

Back