Magic the Gathering... anyone still play?

Roland_Deschain

Transcending what is, with what could be.
Veteran
Currently working in China, born in the U S of A (
Gil
So this is the only card game I still own and play to this day. Does anyone else like this game? It seems that certain places I go tons of people play while other places nobody plays.

If you do play please tell about your experience with this game and describe what type of players you are.

Personally I have three decks I usually stick with.

Beast deck/green - I love this deck because I love creating badass armies and powerful monsters an whiping a player to death in one swift stroke.

Regenerating Burn deck/ Red and Black - This deck is filled to the brim with countless instant player life damage spells that don't require messing with their monsters. I couple it with regerating beasts that I can pay to revive so that I always have shields.

Rainbow deck / red, green, blue, black, white - This deck is sick, it combines everything together. Most monsters grow stronger depending on the variety of land and colors you have, but also features many counter spells and nulling spells to buy yourself time while you get the land you need.

Please share your decks or intrests in this game. I find it is fun a heck because they are ALWAYS making new cards and its been around longer then most card games like YGO or pokemon...which in my opinion are simpler and lamer in comparison :grin:

Ness and I most certainly do not ever play this alleged "game" of which you speak.

:ahmed:

My favorite deck is one that is built around Mana Flare, Fireball, and a Palinchron, then just deck cycling. Eventually I'm going to kill all humans with an infinite point Fireball to the face. Good times.

Justin has convinced me to construct an EDH deck, which I plan on doing this weekend. Probably going to be red and black.

I haven't actually played the game for almost ten years now, but I still have my roughly 2200 cards and am thinking about starting back up.

Ness and I most certainly do not ever play this alleged "game" of which you speak.

:ahmed:

My favorite deck is one that is built around Mana Flare, Fireball, and a Palinchron, then just deck cycling. Eventually I'm going to kill all humans with an infinite point Fireball to the face. Good times.

Justin has convinced me to construct an EDH deck, which I plan on doing this weekend. Probably going to be red and black.

I haven't actually played the game for almost ten years now, but I still have my roughly 2200 cards and am thinking about starting back up.

Yeah its the same for me. I have hundreds of cards but I just don't really play often because its so hard to find other people who play. Its one of the most played card games in the world yet it never occurs to a person to just walk up and say "do you play magic?" :grin:

I don't really play Standard that often...my time is mostly reserved for booster drafts and EDH. I do keep a Standard deck though, just for casual play. My deck is mono-white and focuses on Knight creatures and the bonuses they get from the Knight Exemplar.

White Knight Deck

Creatures

• Hero of Bladehold (1x)
  • Leonin Skyhunter (3x)
  • Cloud Crusader (3x)
  • White Knight (3x)
  • Mirran Crusader (4x)
  • Knight Exemplar (3x)
  • Accorder Paladin (3x)
Spells

• Pacifism (3x)
  • Arrest (3x)
  • Solemn Offering (3x)
  • Revoke Existence (3x)
  • Armored Ascension (3x)
  • True Conviction (1x)
Lands

• Plains (24x)

I don't really play Standard that often...my time is mostly reserved for booster drafts and EDH. I do keep a Standard deck though, just for casual play. My deck is mono-white and focuses on Knight creatures and the bonuses they get from the Knight Exemplar.

White Knight Deck

Creatures

• Hero of Bladehold (1x)
  • Leonin Skyhunter (3x)
  • Cloud Crusader (3x)
  • White Knight (3x)
  • Mirran Crusader (4x)
  • Knight Exemplar (3x)
  • Accorder Paladin (3x)
Spells

• Pacifism (3x)
  • Arrest (3x)
  • Solemn Offering (3x)
  • Revoke Existence (3x)
  • Armored Ascension (3x)
  • True Conviction (1x)
Lands

• Plains (24x)

You see that is badass. I have always wanted to created a soldier deck but I just never seem to have the right mixture of cards to do so. My rainbow deck is the most similiar thing to what you speak of because so many cards benifit and add to one another.

My current best deck is based around the Godsire.

Godsire = 8/8 with vigilance. you can tap it at no cost to add 3 different 8/8's that also include vigilance. Once you tap it the extra 8/8's are permanent white red and blue, so this makes for no certain elemental protection.....its just a beastly card.

Now my deck has three of these but the downside is a cost of 8 land. However I have managed to get my hands on three cards called "Behemoth heralds", which enable me to sacrifice other creatures to summon the Godsire from the deck into play.

Needless to say its pretty epic when it works out, and I have an army of 8/8's with vigilance =P

This specific deck is also built with a lot of life gaining and healing spells to keep me active while I am setting up, along with equipment and artifacts that issure my beasts shround for spell protection. The godsire is a hard card to get your hands on, I believe its from the shards of alar deck.

My new EDH deck is as follows:

Mountain x 19
Swamp x 15

Commander
Tor Wauki

Creatures
Shivan Dragon
Mogg Bombers
Sutured Ghoul
Pygmy Pyrosaur
Fallen Angel
Wall of Souls
Banshee
Cinder Shade
Prodigal Pyromancer
Anaba Shaman
Reckless Ogre
Ridgeline Rager
Purraj of Urborg
Wall of Razors
Keldon Warlord
Death Charmer
Carrion Beetles
Volcanic Dragon
Suq'Ata Assassin
Crypt Angel
Hypnotic Specter
Crypt Creeper
Pyric Salamander
Shimian Night Stalker
Dungeon Shade
Sorceress Queen
Duct Crawler
Ambush Party

Instants
Despoil
Cabal Ritual
Pyrotechnics
Arc Lightning
Corrupt
Howl From Beyond
Plague Spores
Lightning Bolt
Fling
Fork
Seething Anger
Delirium
Soul Burn
Shock

Enchants
Stonehands
Binding Agony
Pestilence
Barbed Field
Vile Requiem
Orcish Oriflamme
Shade's Form

Artifacts
Feldon's Cane
Predator, Flagship
Rod of Ruin
Urza's Armor
Essence Bottle
Soul Net
Tormod's Crypt
The Rack
Black Vise
Scrapheap

Red and black. Basically I want my opponent taking damage in some fashion on every turn. Very aggressive, high damage output deck, with a few cards thrown in that give me more life. Inflatable creatures are good too, for pairing with Fling.

Negative

I did however used to play the Star Wars card game an awful lot.

have not opened the binder(yes i said binder) in a few(8) years.

The reason me and my friends and I played the star wars TCG was because everyone and their mother played Magic and we wanted to do something different other than the lame(emphasis on lame) Pokemon TCG.

Ok while not block legal, I myself started getting back into the game and here is a white/green deck I use for fun. Also without meaning to I kinda made it into a stall deck.

Celestial Mantle x1
Arrest x2
Asceticism x1
Rites of Flourishing x2
Honor of the Pure x1
True Conviction x2
Naturalize x1
Disenchant x2
Fog x3
Hero's Reunion x2
Armillary Sphere x2
Elixir of Immortality x2
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth x1
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn x1
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite x1
Whispersil Cloak x1
Sword of Vengance x1
Swiftfoot Boots x1
Knight Exemplar x2
Kinsbaile Cavalier x2
Gideon's Avenger x1
Mirrian Cursader x1
Shepherd of the Lost x1
Auramancer x2
Leonin Skyhunter x2
Funnna Shamn x2
Elvish Piper x2
Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers x1
Garruk's Horde x1
White Knight x1
Knight of the White Orchid x1
Angelic Arbiter x1
Phyrexian Rebirth x1
Day of Judgement x1
Karn Liberated x1
Gideon Juran x1

Forest x6
Plains x11
Sejiri Steppe x1
Selesnya Sanctuary x2

I used another site's fancy deck builder to input my deck. It gives nice stats on your deck's mana curve and relative costs. It also lets you quickly reference unfamiliar cards (just mouse over the ones you don't know).

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sharuum-edh-40/

I have a few things to work on here...my mana curve and the amount of lands in general. I've found myself hurting for mana in previous games and I intend on fixing that. I have a bunch of cards in transit so I'll be making changes to make the deck more artifact-y.

I know I have a deck or two of these somewhere :hmmm:... I didn't get to play it with many people, though, seeing as I didn't know many that had it. I also didn't have the money to pay for the card packs so I only had like one starter deck and another set of cards my friend gave me :gasp: I might look for them in the morning.

Magic: The Gathering

Hey, everyone. I searched and couldn't find a thread about MTG, so I figured I'd make a thread. If I overlooked it somewhere, feel free to lock and redirect, Mods! :)

Anyway, Dark Ascension came out, so it sparked the idea to discuss what you guys thought about it so far, for those of you MTG fanatics out there.

I started getting into the card game about three or four months ago, and have since made two decks (a Green/White Life Gain, and a Blue/White/Black Spirits Deck), and in the process of making a third, Red/White EDH deck.

So, what do you guys think of the Dark Ascension? Do you like it? Have any of you bought stuff about it? Also, what are your decks/decks you're working on, and which expansions have you really enjoyed?

-------
I like DA for the most part. The new Sorin is great, and there are some pretty awesome spirits and artifacts that I've gotten for my decks. There's one artifact in general that I really enjoy called Helvault, which you can use to exile all your creatures. It's great to pair with my Elspeth Tirel planeswalker in my Life gain deck because her ultimate destroys all non token and non land permanents from the field, so this prevents my creatures getting destroyed, and I can hit my opponent in the face with my creatures. Muahahaha!

I really enjoy stuff from Scars of Mirrodin (which I ordered a Booster Box of for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day). I'm such a sucker for anything dealing with Life Gain, control, and aggro, and the expansion has three great planeswalkers (Elspeth, Venser, and Koth) that are just absolute beasts!

I used to play Magic the Gathering card game when I was in high school back in 2006. At first I didn't understand how this card game worked but after time passes I started to get used to it and learning about it. Is been 7 years since I haven't play Magic the Gathering and I am thinking of starting to build a brand new deck. I've been doing some research on different decks that are potentially good and I found one that interest me a lot. The deck is called Esper Control which is a combination of these three colors Blue/White/Black. The purpose of this deck is to use different spells to remove your opponent's monster on the field, exile them, control your opponent's hand until you have enough lands to cast your strong creatures to the field and win you the game. That is the basic strategy of the Esper Control deck.

This deck has some versatile monsters and spells such as Supreme Verdict, Sphinx's Revelation, Blood Baron of Vizkopia, Aetherling, etc. All though this deck doesn't have that many creatures in it, it still have the potential to win a game. This deck has its downfalls just like other decks but you can find a way to fix those problems by choosing the right cards to your advantage. One of the weakness this deck has is playing against a mono red deck which it contains a lot of creatures with haste. Since this deck only contains 3-5 creatures it is hard to survive against a deck full of creatures also known as aggro decks. But there are some cards that can help this deck prevent that from happening. You just need to know what cards can benefit the Esper Control deck on its weaknesses.

But yeah this is the deck that I am thinking of building when I start playing Magic the Gathering once again. I find this deck real interesting and fun to play so I might as well give it a go a try. If you put the right cards together on this deck you can have a extremely good deck to play on the tournaments with no problem at all. You just need a good side board and play the right cards at the right time effectively. Who has heard of this type of deck? And who has played it?

Back