i've never played KH. should i?

forrealee

Gil
ok i'm a little embarrassed to admit this; because the KH series seems to be so popular... but i'm never played a Kingdom Hearts game. nor do i want to.
is that bad?

for some reason everything ive ever seen about the games seems completely un attractive to me.

should i give it a chance and try it? are these games really that good?
all suggestions and comments will be appreciated :)

Trust me, a lot people don't find KH attractive in the least and don't bother playing it. No need to feel weird about it ;D

I of course love the series, but I think if I got into it right now and not the 5+ years ago, I may have overlooked it, so who knows *shrugs*

I think it ultimately depends on what your tastes are.

Do you like an action-RPG? Button smashing? Item creation? Customizing what abilities characters have and use? Are you okay with AIs controlling your party?

Can you handle the "friendship forever" theme that underlines the series, or is it "too ghey" for you? What about Disney and FF cameos? Will the bother you too much? The graphics tend to be quite colourful as well. Is that something you won't like? Too childish maybe?

How about controlling relatively young characters? Can you relate or not enjoy the story if it's too far out your age scope?

Plus lots of subtle plot points that don't make sense except in the grand scheme. Not to mention the series is spread over 3-4 systems as it is, with likely another 2 systems in the horizon-can you invest in that?

I think what Fusionist said sums it up pretty well. I for one can't bear the KH series, I took one look at the cartoonised FF characters with massive feet and the fact that people like Donald Duck are in it and thought '...I'm not going to enjoy this'

I played it for about half an hour and decided it wasn't for me but hey, if you like FF and you can pick up a copy pretty cheap (which I think you can now, second hand anyways) then my advice would be go for it :monster: you might like it.

Yeah and you may build your own spaceship from Legoparts to travel in and/or between those systems..really fun.

I only played KH1 but I played it till the end, so that might be a little indication of how fun the game is..

I also liked the FF Cameo's. Kicking their asses feels good //:griin:

haha thanks everyone for the quick responses.
i think that is one of the points that turned me off so quickly; is the fact that i hate disney movies, as well as the characters... so i think i would have a pretty hard time getting into the Kingdom Hearts games without being super biased.

but i honestly want to give it a try; so many FF fans love it, so theres a chance i might too :P

I'll answer this with a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7766CcJSGdM&feature=related

It's a video that plays when you leave the title credits inactive for a minute or so. It serves as a fantastic summary for the game and not a bad trailer, either.

100% recommend it, it's one of the best games ever.

EDIT:
You hate Disney? What's wrong with you?!

The most appealing thing to me about KH is the nostalgia factor. Depending on your age (you're 22, so you're pretty much the prime market for this), the game can be like going through and living the storylines of all your favourite movies you used to watch as a kid. That is, assuming you watched Disney in your youth.
You get to see characters and hear voices from your past and they can bring back a lot of great memories. The story is bent out a little bit to make room for the main plot of the game, but going back to the "worlds" of all these movies and having Disney characters fight alongside you can be pretty enthralling.. Depending on your taste (and like I said, age).

And besides all the Disney, a whole bunch of Final Fantasy characters are thrown in there as well, each with their own little storylines that are fun to learn about.

The game itself is like a live-action Final Fantasy RPG going through the storylines of a bunch of old Disney classics, but with an original set of main characters/nemeses driving it.

So that's pretty much all I have to put in there, if you're in for nostalgia then KH is for you, simple as that.

EDIT:
You hate Disney? What's wrong with you?!

Kerrigan! thanks for the link but to be completely honest, that video turned me off even more! haha! i dont know why but the Disney characters just make me feel like i'm playing a game meant for 10-12 yr olds lol.

and yes sorry to you hardcore Disney fans... but i've never been a fan :)

It's worth it x1000000000000000000. Great Story, great gameplay, great music, great voice acting, and great greatness. You can't go wrong with Kingdom Hearts.

There's noting wrong with not playing it if it doesn't appeal to you

IMO the first one is the only one that's good (BBS & COM are pretty good too)
the rest are disappointing at best

Of course it doesn't hurt to rent it for a bit, or borrow it from a friend to give it a try KH1 is a really great game and not too long ether. But dont stress out about it if you REALLY dont want to play it, dont make yourself, its no big deal

I too am shocked at someone hating disney :(
this makes me sad, very sad.

I LOVE kingdom hearts 1 and 2, its very unique, the fighting style is fun and the characters are loveable (even the disney ones)

I HATE the KH spin off games though like birth before sleep and whatever the otherones are.

I definitely think you should give it a go! you wont be disappointed

I, for one love the game KH I and II. However, if you're not interested in Disney nor the game itself, i wouldn't recommended playing it. Though, it never hurts to try ya know?

KH has Disney characters in it so it'd be even less appealing to you (though i'm sure you already knew that)

I quite enjoyed the game. Second one better then the first but, they were both fantastic games in my opinion.

If you don't already know the story and how the style of the game is, i'd check that out because you might change your mind ya never know.

I liked the characters, the story and the battle system.

If you know what it's about, the style, the characters (Disney) yet, it's not your cup of tea, don't play it. Simple as that.

I mean, I got into the series when I was a bit younger and, I can see where age may come into effect but, if you enjoy the game who cares how old you start playing it xD. Don't be embarrassed. Everyone has different taste in games as well as opinions :)
EDIT:
Some mentioned the spin-offs. To me, BBS and KH days was more of a background story about how things unfolded.(Just a few examples I think there's more) I mean, they weren't bad but, you don't necessarily need to play them in order to understand whats going. (If you're confused, sure)

When it comes to games, you should keep an open mind. Unless it's an addition to a series that you already don't like, then being skeptical is understandable. I personally love the series and I've found that I actually like it more than that FF series. Atleast give it a try. Just to say you did.

Yeah and you may build your own spaceship from Legoparts to travel in and/or between those systems..really fun.

I only played KH1 but I played it till the end, so that might be a little indication of how fun the game is..

I also liked the FF Cameo's. Kicking their asses feels good //:griin:
Oh dude, you have no idea how good that made me feel, kicking clouds ass, then kicking Sephiroth's ass straight afterwards!

I totally know the feeling.

Although, i still hate Versing Leon and Yuffie. Bitch combination.

well regardless of disney or not it is deff an exceptionally great game and i advise that you should atleast try to play KH1 or KH2 they are both amazing games being the only two of them that i have beaten but im working on chain of memories but i wouldnt advise it too much as the first one anyone plays because its combat system isnt too great at all

I hate everything about Disney (But I think that Pirates of The Carribean Part 1 and 2 were decent), I really don't like Disney cartoon characters and even then when I was playing the game, I used to mock the characters all the time, like "bah, how lame" or "geez, whoever had that sense of humor is so fucked up".

But I enjoyed the game a lot, especially, Hollow Bastion; the World where like most of FF characters at, that area was just... <3

From my point of view, I think KH2 was WAY better than KH1, KH1 was somewhat boring to me but it was still decent. KH2, I enjoyed every last bit, though it doesn't have any replay value, I'd say give it a try, you might like it.

ok i'm a little embarrassed to admit this; because the KH series seems to be so popular... but i'm never played a Kingdom Hearts game. nor do i want to.
is that bad?

for some reason everything ive ever seen about the games seems completely un attractive to me.

should i give it a chance and try it? are these games really that good?
all suggestions and comments will be appreciated :)

Don't feel embarrassed. Not everyone is really a fan of the series. :)

As if you should play.............YES. YES. YES./orgasm

The series is very well developed in story and characterization. The elements put into its core are awesome and each installment in the series is great in its own respect. There is a very in depth storyline that is very interesting and attractive. It's fun to come up with theories on the next installment and discuss them with other fans. KH is just so fun and diverse, in my opinion.

So, should you get it, I definitely recommend it to anyone that loves Disney OR Final Fantasy. The Final Fantasy characters are implemented well enough and the Final Fantasy aspects provide for some good nostalgia//easter eggs.

Bottom Line: Get the games. :brooding:

thanks everyone for the input!
from what i've read, i should probably at least TRY it :)

but as i read, i also came up with a theory.
i'm tempted to start a poll for this lol,
but i think i'll just see what you all think.

i've come to realize that the people who are into KH are a lot younger than me.
and i think it has A LOT to do with the Disney integration into the game.
i've talked to a few fellow FF gamers close to my age (22), and none of them had any interest in KH.

BUT most of the people on this thread who highly suggest it are 18 or younger?
I think that is what makes or brakes the game; if you are a disney fan.
and from what i can tell MOST of the FF fans my age or older, to be honest: think Disney is a bit gay.

I KNOW i am going to get a new one ripped for saying that, but its the honest truth.
:confused:

errr ok... well I am pretty much your age and I love disney and I love KH and all of my friends 21 and older love kingdom hearts too so I think your theory is a bit off....

just try it.

Edit: also read the "love it or hate it" thread... I think that will give you a good idea...

I'm going to be the odd one out and probably recommend that you steer away from Kingdom Hearts, it sounds like you really dislike Disney and that you're doubting the game anyway so I don't think you'll get as much enjoyment out of it as other people. Personally I love Kingdom Hearts but I enjoy Disney, my family pretty much brought me up on Disney films as a kid and everyone I know loves some Disney film or another.

There's no harm in trying I guess, I just don't think you'll enjoy it all that much.

Back