It's cool to say that this game is overrated nowadays

SiderealPassing

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Well it's not. Everything about this game is utterly amazing. I didn't play it until four years after it was released so I'm not being nostalgically biased circa 1997 here. It isn't without its flaws but what game isn't? It still holds the crown of being my favorite game of all time and I have yet to see it contested.

The plot took me a while to understand but I don't think it's as convoluted as some people make it out to be. After playing through the game a few times and reading some plot analysis' online, I have a pretty firm grasp on the events in the story. That being said, I've never seen anything like it. It's an amazing story.

A few things about some of the characters...

Cloud
Though I wouldn't call Cloud my favorite main character in the series, I still love how the game portrays him. We see a very confused man slowly unfold his forgotten past and discover facts about himself that were previously unbeknownst to him. I love the scene in the Lifestream where he finds out what truly happened back in Nibelheim.

Aeris
The game really does a great job of making you love this character. The date scene (granted you got Aeris) that occurs not long before her untimely death made me fall in love with her. The developers really gave her a kind warm-hearted personality while adding in enough flirtation with Cloud to make you wish you were in his position.

Sephiroth
Aeris death certainly taught me how to hate Sephiroth but I think the greatest build up of his villainy occurs in the Kalm flashback scene. Here we see a man start to go completely insane upon the realization that he was created by Shinra. I love the section where it describes Sephiroth spending all of his time in the library reading up on Dr. Gast's studies of the Cetra. The end of this scene had me convinced that Sephiroth was a force to be reckoned with. I've never seen a game set up a villain so well.

Barret
A lot of great backstory surrounded his character. His return to Correl definitely had me sympathizing with the character. I loved his outspoken iron fisted hatred of Shinra

Red XIII
I loved his kindred warrior spirit and his connection with Bugenhagen, one of the most important characters in the game. The Cosmo Canyon scenes really had me wishing that the protagonists would prevail and the planet would be saved.

The rest of the characters didn't hit me as hard but they still kept me interested. Even a few of the supporting characters had fruitful personalities and certain traits that I came to know and love every time they appeared on screen (the Turks come to mind).

Well, enough FFVII worship on my part. I just wanted to smash all accusations of this game being overrated. What are your thoughts?

The game is quite good yes, but I think you are mistaken by saying it's not convoluted. It took you multiple playthroughs and plot analyses just to get a firm grasp on it? That sounds convoluted to me.

The game was good for it's time. I loved it back in the day when I first played it. Then half a year ago I went to play through it again and I found it utterly boring. So for me the game is overrated and dull but that is my opinion, thought I do not go shouting about it everytime the game is mentioned haha.
That is good that you enjoy it still and I don't think you should take other peoples opinions on it badly.

The game is quite good yes, but I think you are mistaken by saying it's not convoluted. It took you multiple playthroughs and plot analyses just to get a firm grasp on it? That sounds convoluted to me.

Well I don't think it's convoluted because all the facts in the story are there. It's just a matter of understanding it in its entirety. There aren't any major holes in the plot that prevent me from understanding what happened.

The game was good for it's time. I loved it back in the day when I first played it. Then half a year ago I went to play through it again and I found it utterly boring. So for me the game is overrated and dull but that is my opinion, thought I do not go shouting about it everytime the game is mentioned haha.
That is good that you enjoy it still and I don't think you should take other peoples opinions on it badly.

I just get sick of people harping on about it on youtube and other places. It's been so highly regarded over the years that a niche of people that loathe the game have naturally come out of the wood-work.

You make it sound like critiquing something is inherently a bad thing.

The facts might all be there but if it's taking you multiple plays and supplementary readings to understand then that is still a convoluted story. Some stories might take multiple plays to pick up all the fine details but they certainly don't take multiple plays just to understand the main plot points.

I think that many people think it's cool to separate themselves from the "bandwagon" by purposely disliking something. It doesn't just happen with games. It happens with pretty much every form of entertainment. Music appears to be the worst media for that, though. So many people only choosing to like something just because it's "different". I was guilty of that myself in the past, until I came to realise how narrow minded I was being.

I still like FFVII. There was a time where I couldn't put a word wrong against it at all. I'm far more critical of it now, but I don't think it's a bad game at all.

For the record, this thread was meant to be partially tongue-in-cheek. It's not like I'm deeply offended by someone finding FFVII overrated and I'd honestly like to see some more feedback from people who find it overrated and why they think so.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to criticize FFVII. I just don't think that the plot is one of the things that I would personally criticize. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes. I would say that there's a difference between complexity and convolution (though I guess they're technically synonyms if we're going to nitpick about semantics). I would describe a convoluted plot with something I can't make sense of in the slightest. I got the gist of what happened in FFVII my first time around but there were definitely some points where I was confused. It's undoubtedly complex but that's also what I like about it. People are still heavily discussing the plot of this game and there are tons of theories surrounding it that have been circulating since 1997. I guess you could say that the storytelling is poorly done but as I said in another thread, I like the fact that the game uses "bad" storytelling and how it relies on subtle hints to clear up certain plot points. It's very unique and clever writing and inspires me to really want to delve into the universe portrayed in the game.

If I could find flaws with the game, I would say that the battle system is a bit run-of-the-mill. Materia is cool but nothing really mind-blowing. I also found the summons to be a bit tedious but that was common of all PSX-era FF games. Also, if I must, I would say that the story starts off pretty slow. Every time I play the game, I'm always looking forward to getting out of Midgar. I still love those aspects of the game anyway but if I had to nitpick, those are the things I'd find.

People love to moan about things that are held in high regard. Instead of finding out for themselves an forming their own honest opinion, they would rather take the easy option which is just to agree with every other person who thinks that hating popular things makes you ''original'' and cool.
Most people who think like that always start their so called critique by stating how how annoying it is that everyone talks about it all the time or the main character is so overrated. People with a proper opinion will always critique the game in more depth, on actual key game points. Storyline, character development, battle system etc.

I think that many people think it's cool to separate themselves from the "bandwagon" by purposely disliking something. It doesn't just happen with games. It happens with pretty much every form of entertainment. Music appears to be the worst media for that, though. So many people only choosing to like something just because it's "different". I was guilty of that myself in the past, until I came to realise how narrow minded I was being.

I still like FFVII. There was a time where I couldn't put a word wrong against it at all. I'm far more critical of it now, but I don't think it's a bad game at all.

I'm a huge metalhead so I run into that kind of shit a lot. I think it's just an immaturity thing with kids trying to impress specific music niches. I'm not sure if I ever really had that phase since I continued to listen to Slayer, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. after getting into countless obscure death and black metal bands.

Popularity should never factor into anyone's equation of what they like and don't like. It doesn't matter if they like or dislike something because of its popularity. It's a stupid reason to form an opinion on a piece of entertainment either way.

You make it sound like critiquing something is inherently a bad thing.

Apologies; very tired. Still am :(

Aye. Critique was the wrong word. What I meant was it's often cool to hate something seemingly good because it's cool to do so. It's especially prevelant in the music industry amongst Rock fans. We a fickle lot.

EDIT:

Eurgh. I hadn't read @SiderealPassing s post before I replied. He's got it pretty much down by what I meant.

Well, I don't want to bash VII. I liked it enough. It's one of my least favourite FF games though. The only thing I actually think is worse than it is XIII. That's not to say it's bad, not at all, I just like the other ones better. This game just didn't...move me? I don't know, I just didn't feel the same emotions playing it as I did with all the other FF games I've played and loved. I didn't play the game until something like 2004 so I also am not a nostalgic gamer. It also wasn't my first FF game, so I'm not biased in that respect either.

I liked Cloud, I thought he was a good character, and the development he had in game was really good, one of the best, if not the best, thing about the game.

Sorry but for me, the game certainly didn't do a good job of making me love Aerith. I didn't like her at all. She's really a badly written character no matter what way I look at it. She's a complete Mary Sue. She's a character with no faults, who is portrayed as something special, her circumstances are bad, but despite that she is still always positive and happy, and even likes and is kind to the people who hurt her? Yeah, unrealistic Mary Sue-ness abounds, she has no depth, as Mary Sue's never do. I like characters with, you know, character?

Sepheroth was a great villain, that's true. Killing off a party member (no matter how I felt about her) really did shock me and make me really want to beat him. Also, the fact that his story was so tragic itself. I found myself actually sympathising with him numerous times.

Barret was never a character I could take seriously. I don't know why, but he seemed too over the top most of the time to the point where it was just annoying and stupid. His back story with Marlene was interesting, but I still didn't connect to him as a character.

Red XIII I did like, I even got teary eyed at his story about his father. Really though, the only characters I properly cared about were Cloud, Tifa and Cait Sith. I could relate to Tifa, and I liked that she developed through the game, and knowing how she was when she was younger meant you got to see even more of a change in her character. I like Reeve more than Cait Sith I guess, I liked how he was one of the bad guys, but his development in the game and how he came to understand Cloud's group was great.

The battle system was good, it kept me entertained. I didn't much care for the materia system though. I just...didn't like it much. I didn't hate it either though I guess. I never used summons, so they couldn't have been that special either. There was a lot to do in VII though, side quests and stuff later on in the game so that was good.

Really though, I don't think this game is over-rated because it's bad. I think it's over-rated because I don't think it's the best thing ever in video gaming history. Which is what it's often referred to as. The plot was hard to follow at times, and there just wasn't enough connection for me, I honestly don't know why. The first two times I played the game I never even finished it, and not because I got stuck but because I got bored. Eventually completed it the third time, and yes it's a decent game, but it's not absolutely astoundingly brilliant, which it's revered as. Many of the characters are utterly pointless, the plot didn't make me care enough (probably because I didn't like most of the cast) and in the end I just think there are far better Final Fantasy games than this one.

I wouldn't say that maybe that it's getting cool or hip to dislike FFVII, but people are starting to realize it's flaws and the same fact that FF VII is starting to age really, really poorly. Plus I also believe that fans are getting more and more annoyed with FF VII because of how much attention it's getting from Square-Enix and not so much on the other games. I mean Rufus Shrina isn't all that loved much by fans so do we really need mech of him ? No, not really.

FF7 SPOILERS IN THE POST!!

I seem to love this game for very different reasons than most people(in the storyline events department, youll understand later on the post). Ill admit im a bit biased towards it because I have very early memories of my brothers playing the game and as a kid the summons absolutely fascinated me and mesmerized me.
In about 2006/2007 when I was old enough to have some decent knowlege in the English language I beat the game and it was something that I will never forget. I fell in love with it because of the depth of customization the materia system offered, because of the extensive and addictive sidequests, the appealing secret bosses and of course most importantly the story and characters.
I have stated this many times before but I dont really care too much for Aeris and her death didnt really affect me too much, in fact I dont think I minded it at all. She was a very boring and two dimensional character in my opinion. What really sold me on the story was of course the characters back stories and their subsequent developments, the complexity or convolutedness of the plot if you prefer that kept me invested and at the edge of my seat at all times. Let's not forget the timeless soundtrack and atmosphere of the game, absolutely priceless.

There were two moments in that game that severely moved me and made an extreme impact on my life as an early teenager. I am a person that is very passionate about two things, video games and knowledge(mostly philosofical and scientific based knowledge) and because of that Cid Highwind's backstory accompanied by that song "Sending a Dream into the universe" moved me immensely, I sympathized with Cid's dream of going to outer space and was moved to tears when he had to sacrifice his dream to save another person's life.

The other moment is the backstory of Red XIII and his father, how he had this twisted opinion of his father and little did he know that his father was actually a true warrior and a true hero, couple that with the song "The great warrior" playing and the tears of his petrified father once Red XIII learns the truth and you got a killer moment. With the death of my dog in december 31st 2012, these musical pieces helped me through what must have been the hardest hitting happening of my life, this and to zanarkand from FFX.

I am perfectly aware that FF7 is far from being the best game ever created or even the best rpg for that matter, this from an objective standpoint, however it is my personal favourite game of all time(along with FFX) and I will always cherish the great memories, influences and ultimately the impact that the game had on my life.

I loved it, it was one of the best, all 9 characters rocked and were awesome and also forces to be reckoned with

The only bugaboo and thing i did not like was Aeris Dying, but thats the only flaw with this game in opinion and thats it!

If its Rated anyway, it is underrated in my view!

I am guilty of judging this game much harsher than I should of when I hadn't played it... Primarily to seem cool, to be honest.

However, when I did get around to playing it, I didn't like VII. It just didn't click for me.

I can understand where the op is coming from though- albeit, from the other angle,

i.e. I loved Daft Punk since I first heard "One More Time" on late, when I was a kid... And very recently, they've began to get spotlighted by media and new fans alike, and it's now "cool" to like them. It annoys me to no bounds, and irritates me like a rash. It's kinda like someone stealing my favourite toy as a kid. On the other hand, if people hated on it It'd be akin to them shitting on Daft Punk...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is to avoid grouping critics of VII. There are many of us who don't like it for many reasons- just like there are people who dislike VII so Jimmy and his "homies" will be buddies... Just ignore what they think and focus on your opinion!

People don't call FFVII overrated simply to "be cool" or "be that guy", they say it because IMO it's true. FFVII is pretty overrated and isnt even the best FF game made. I personally think that IX is better myself. I'm not saying that 7 is terrible because I played the piss out of this game, you know to the point to where you beat it and immediately start it over? I guess I just burnt myself out of it because now it just doesnt hold the same special feeling it used to.

People don't call FFVII overrated simply to "be cool" or "be that guy", they say it because IMO it's true. FFVII is pretty overrated and isnt even the best FF game made. I personally think that IX is better myself. I'm not saying that 7 is terrible because I played the piss out of this game, you know to the point to where you beat it and immediately start it over? I guess I just burnt myself out of it because now it just doesnt hold the same special feeling it used to.

The issue with people that throw the overrated word around is that some of them, if not even most of them, havent even played the game or are simply jumping on bandwagons. I do believe that there are people out there with valid reasons and arguments to think that FF7 is overrated or even to think it is a bad game, but when their arguments are as well developed as "FF7 is for faggots" or " X character is an emo angsty teenager" I fail to acknowledge their credibility.

Needless to say.. It is ultimately a subject of purely subjective nature. Who defines what is the best rpg, what makes a good rpg. What may be a flaw to you might be a plus to someone else. Why are you right and why is anybody else wrong. Opinions cannot be disproven UNLESS they linger outside of the subjective realm and of course if they contradict a known fact. Why do people even care that the game is loved by many, why is it relevant? Why does it bother you that FF7 is "overrated"?

Back