Is IX the darkest Final Fantasy game?

IMO. IX, is the darkest one I've played so far.
Just like what Vengeful Ronin had said earlier above, so many cities were destroyed... etc etc.
However, VI gets IX on a close second too. Terra's story, how the world got ruined by Kefka's light of judgement via the Warring Triads...?

i don't really now if it is the darkest of all ff series but it is the best of them with the main characters who have painful pasts. I already sad in another thread that i feel more connected with this characters than with other ff. not that i had a painful past but they really did a great job with making this characters alive. So in terms of characters maybe it is dark.

How the heck in Celes's opera scene dark?

There was a bit in of the opera house scenes's showing Cele's getting tortured in the original SNES version. But for whatever reason it was toned down or cut outta the recent GBA remake.

There was a bit in of the opera house scenes's showing Cele's getting tortured in the original SNES version. But for whatever reason it was toned down or cut outta the recent GBA remake.

You mean before the Opera house where Locke first found her? Anthology, the PS1 version, nothing was cut out. I never heard of Celes getting tortured during the Opera house part. Are you sure about this?

Yeah um, it's not in Anthology, nor is it in my SNES ROM...I don't know where you're getting that idea...it wouldn't even fit into the scene, really.

But VI is a pretty dark game, like most people have been saying. Both it and IX easily beat other FFs in that regard.

I guess I was slightly wrong about Celes interrogation scene, it actually takes places in South Figaro not the Opera House. Oh well, but its been over a year since I last replayed FFVI.

Though I was right about the interrogation scene being slightly altered. Here is what Diverse's Faq/Walkthrough up on Gamefaqs's says about the scene:

The game's content was edited in several ways: the character Celes is no longer chained and beaten during her interrogation in South Figaro (though her beating was also not present in the Japanese remake, and thus the change was not a result of localization).

IX is very dark with a light hearted exterior so younger players will have fun playing it but the older audience can appreciate the underlying themes.

Thats what I got from it anyways

I guess I was slightly wrong about Celes interrogation scene, it actually takes places in South Figaro not the Opera House. Oh well, but its been over a year since I last replayed FFVI.

Though I was right about the interrogation scene being slightly altered. Here is what Diverse's Faq/Walkthrough up on Gamefaqs's says about the scene:

The game's content was edited in several ways: the character Celes is no longer chained and beaten during her interrogation in South Figaro (though her beating was also not present in the Japanese remake, and thus the change was not a result of localization).

Well whoop-de-do, that still has nothing to do with IX. And if you wanna talk interrogations and the like...while it's not exactly the same, recall when Zorn and Thorn tried to extract the eidelons from Garnet and you had to save her? Yeah, it wasn't exactly torture but there was something about it that just seemed really messed up. Hell, it might have hurt anyway since the eidelons were being extracted, after all. Plus Queen Brahne was gonna kill her after that anyway.

IX is very dark with a light hearted exterior so younger players will have fun playing it but the older audience can appreciate the underlying themes.

Thats what I got from it anyways

Bingo.

I've always thought of 10 as over the top
9 as dark
8 as...
7 as completely twisted stuff

9 is really dark to me for a very long time I preferred it over 8 and 7. Alot of crap happens in that game that isn't even like standable. You lose the princess, *almost every game* she gets stuff taken out of her.

Her mother starts going crazy, destroys a city and extracts the summons from her, (not even caring if it kills her). The whole existence of the puppet mages are war machines then death... they have a limit to their lives and then they become aware that they will be dying soon ;~;.

Same exact thing happens to Zidane and Kuja who decides that he was useless and is going to die soon anyways so he purges the world in souls and tried to destroy all things. Not just the world but everything for being as useless as those puppet mage dolls he hated so much.

There are other things too that would strengthen the point of how dark it is but they were stated already.

Omg this story is a nutty story full of darkness. You have to see it for what it is and to see Zidane continue to keep going like oh well I'm gonna die soon hey garnet you want a piggy back ride type attitude.

It's pretty freaking amazing if you ask me.

Yup its pretty dark. Easily the darkest FF game I've played. Epecialy Zorn and Thorn, (no seriously), I find them kind of creepy when you have to fight them, you know the whole evil clown thing?

That being said, the whole dark and evil thing is slightly undermined by some of gimmicks at the start, I've just this morning restarted my game and I'd forgotten how much strange humor there is, Oglops, Vivi continuously falling over, the knights of Pluto, Steiner's facial expressions and stuff like that. Still it gets kinda dark once you reach the forest so I guesse that cancels it out.

cheers

'Fuzz'

Well whoop-de-do, that still has nothing to do with IX. And if you wanna talk interrogations and the like...while it's not exactly the same, recall when Zorn and Thorn tried to extract the eidelons from Garnet and you had to save her? Yeah, it wasn't exactly torture but there was something about it that just seemed really messed up. Hell, it might have hurt anyway since the eidelons were being extracted, after all. Plus Queen Brahne was gonna kill her after that anyway.

Bingo.

You're missing my point, I am saying that FFVI is indeed a much darker game than FFIX is. I am not denying that FFIX can be indeed dark at times but for me personally, FFVI is a way darker game - arguably the darkest in the entire series by far.

Seeing as this thread is deabting about whether FFIX is possibly the darkest game in the series which is what the thread's title is all about. I am just arguing that FFIX isn't and saying that FFVI is.

Last edited:
You're missing my point, I am saying that FFVI is indeed a much darker game than FFIX is. I am not denying that FFIX can be indeed dark at times but for me personally, FFVI is a way darker game - arguably the darkest in the entire series by far.

Seeing as this thread is deabting about whether FFIX is possibly the darkest game in the series which is what the thread's title is all about. I am just arguing that FFIX isn't and saying that FFVI is.

No, I'm not missing your point, it's just not very well backed up. The examples given in this thread supporting IX being the darkest game far outweigh those given showing that VI is the darkest. I won't bother stating all the examples in IX's favor again since I've already listed them in previous posts.

Well you gotta admit that this thread is pretty biased towards FFIX seeing as it is in the FFIX forum.

Imo this thread should be moved to the General Discussion forum since we talking and comparing about the darkness of ALL the FF games and not just FFIX in particular.

Anywayz I will try to post up some more examples for FFVI's darkness later.

You can start another thread in the general section if you want Baks. I'm going to keep this one here since most the posts are about IX anyway and it would just be too messy to move it and change the title.

Well you gotta admit that this thread is pretty biased towards FFIX seeing as it is in the FFIX forum.

OMG NO WAI RLY?

Imo this thread should be moved to the General Discussion forum since we talking and comparing about the darkness of ALL the FF games and not just FFIX in particular.

No, it's to discuss how IX is the darkest.....not the general darkness in all FF titles...lrn2read.

So yeah, what about Pandemonium? That place was easily one of the darkest environments, nasty monsters, creepy music...not to mention the word has been used to refer to Hell, Hell's capital (in Paradise Lost) or just a general confusion or clamor. Come to think of it...the music that plays during the fight with Necron is pretty creepy too, I mean it's the hill of the dead and you can hear souls wailing.

And honestly I can't think of anything else. I think I've listed most everything and my brain is fried from biology.

Honestly I don't see IX as being the darkest of the Final Fantasies, but I definitely see it as being one more darker themed. It definitely expressed the theme of death being the final end to everything and trying to outlast it, yet I felt that it held a lot of hope in the character's never giving up. Even the ending seemed to be a fitting, and "hopeful" end.

OMG NO WAI RLY?

No, it's to discuss how IX is the darkest.....not the general darkness in all FF titles...lrn2read.

No really jackass. :mad:

Perhaps you learn to read too moron, this thread ain't just a discussion about IX seeing as thier as thier question mark in the damned topic title meaning we can talk about the darkness of the other FF games too, pleb.

Also I must point out other people besides me have compared the other FF games dark tone to IX's in this thread already way before I did. :rolleyes:

Bleh, VR and Baks, please don't fuel a flame fest here. Baks please watch your use of words.

Rydia already mentioned that she is keeping this thread in the FFIX section. If it continues to go off topic about other FF games then a moderator will move it. Let the moderators do their jobs. The thread is fine where it is, so far this thread is mostly discussing about IX.

Strolling through Lindblum after Alexandria's attack shows how dark teh game is.

A little girl is wandering looking for her parents who are most likely dead.

A woman was blinded by the Black Mages will ask who's there.

A lady will plead with the guy who runs the device to travel to different parts to get to the Industrial Sector to see her husband when we all know, as well as teh condutor, that the whole thing was sucked intoa void along with everyone in it.

Back