Is anyone happy about the turn-based system being replaced?

Hmmm, i do like hwat they have done with this game, I have to admit, and it worked well. But i do prefer Turn based, like FFVII.

well im sure the only reson there was a turn based system in the first few was because of hardware difficulties, now technology has become far more advanced so it seems fitting that the battle sytems do the same along with graphics etc. but that said i really did enjoy the turn based system (im a slow thinker when under pressure :P) but i also really like this new system - variety's the spice of life!

The new battle system is just experimental. I actually enjoyed it...though...I agree that it shouldn't be in an FF game...
Truth be told, no one can ever replace the classics like FFVII and VI, so don't sweat, because you can always go back and play them again and again.

I like the new battle system, it makes a nice change, and you have to think on your feet and plan before entering a battle where as in X you could wait as long as you wanted to make your move.

FFX had a ridiculous battle system...I loved it; especially the ability to swap out characters, but it was far too easy.

I liked XII's character swapping as well as the spell delays.

FFX had a ridiculous battle system...I loved it; especially the ability to swap out characters, but it was far too easy.

I liked XII's character swapping as well as the spell delays.

Yeah, it was far too easy, however the sphere grid was pretty good I found, they've adopted it slightly into this one but in a different aspect.

I like :D

Stuck on a bit though, where you go get Penelo those lizards keep pwning me (I hate Haste, but only on the enemy :dry: )

I like FFXII's battle system as its perfect for this game, but i do want them to bring back the Turn-based system for XIII.

At first i tried to tell all my characters to do what i wanted - to hell with gambits i thought - but its too time consuming and boring so I find it fun to have two of the characters with gambits and control the leader without gambits - that way i still feel like i have a sense of control ^_^ and if i dont like what the Gambits are making the other characters do i just manually tell them what to do ^_^

So IMO FFXIIs battle system = PERFECT for this game but i hope they NEVER bring it back :)

And i think i would have disliked the batlle system a lot more if i hadnt played Tales of Symphonia first.

Penelo joins at the end of the game, so really...she's virtually useless...
Like I've said...FFXII would have been great in all aspects, however...the director stepped down and left everything hanging.

The only things that are mildly good about the game are the Esper sidequests and the battle system...

it's not that bad once you get use to it. I'm playing it as im writing this. It still has some of the original wait battle, but the only thing thats change u dont is that you dont go into battle and you can move around.

karl

I thinks its perfect as a progression, meaning I wouldnt want this system in seven or eight, but it fir for twelve. One of the main things I liked was it eased up on level grinding with the new gambit system, and on top of that, becuase everything happens on the field, healing my charectors after battle took like two seconds and that was a nice change.

I just purchased the game on Friday. I went to the official FF12 launch and got my Limited Edition official guide signed by both the producer and director which was really amazing stuff. Anywayz, this game is da s***!!

I absolutely LOVE this battle system. With this system sqaure-enix was going for that seamless experience that would meld the entire gameplay into one and I think that they nailed that perfectly. Honestly I was a bit scepticle (a bit), I still had faith though and I was intrigued by the ambitious new system. I was not dissapointed!! The story and gameplay in 12 is both epic and engrossing (even more so than any other FF game, I think) and because the battle system is seamless it makes you forget about the fact that you're playing a game. You just go from walking around into battling in an instance and it's just amazing to watch all your party battling on screen.

Also, having this new system means that they were able to have unique and very nice touches such as random fighters patrolling the field who will casts protect and such on you; the guest characters are also very nice too. However, the greatest thing about it is the fact that I actually feel the intensity within battles now. In boss battles I'm using up a lot of my Potions, running out of MP and I genuingly have to think on my feet; it's more difficult in the most fun way possible. This is a beautiful battle system and the hybrid real-time/turn-based nature of the system means that I have a beautiful mix of both worlds. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

It's great, I love it.

I'd just love to kick the Gambit system, up the arse, though. But I like the whole, "action" that comes with the new system, and the "free-to-roam" where ever you like business. 8D Definately improves the whole experience.

Kind of makes FFX's whole system, n00blike. Cause this is, new, improved and ready to blast... whilst, the old system is, great and all, just looks so old and... "so 5 years ago" =]

i dont like it personally.
it reminds me of games like vagrant story (battle system),
and warriors of might and magic (genral game itself)

FFXII's Battle System is poor I hate it, this game would have been a definate 10/10 if there was no License Grid thing and if it had a Battle System like KH & KH2

Warning: Contains spoiler for FFVII!

Personally, I'm glad that SE went out on a limb and tried something different. Although, I'm sad to say that in my opinion, it failed. The battle system worked, don't get me wrong, just not for a Final Fantasy game. It was nice to have one of my characters just around basically for healing. I remember playing Star Ocean and about 3/4 through the game I ended up running into a corner for battles and watching health bars and healing. Most of the time I didn't even get to SEE the battles let alone participate in them. But, that was Star Ocean, not FFXII, so back to the issue at hand.

As I mentioned before, it was nice to have some big changes come along in a battle system. I mean, who wants the same thing in EVERY game. I just think that maybe SE should have experimented with this battle system in a different game and not one that held the ever loved FF logo on it. It's bad enough that FFX-2 was a disaster, and FFVIII (while a great game) didn't match SE's usual par. We didn't really need experimentation of this caliber in yet another FF game. If you ask me, SE should have spent much more time building the story line and characters before they even thought about battle systems, or graphics for that matter. I am an RPG fan for one reason: content. I loved watching Tidus (FFX) discover a new land, and himself in the process; I struggled right along side Cloud (FFVII) as he struggled to figure out his true identity; I felt childlike and confused just as Vivi (FFIX) did and looked; and I even cried as *Spoiler* Sephiroth plunged his sword through Aeris (FFVII).

However, with FFXII I felt like I was watching a political debate (albeit with swords) through Vaan's lifeless eyes as I occasionally swung the sword myself (but for what reason other than to stay alive I am unsure).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, good for SE to try and build a game to match the growing world around us, good for SE for getting rid of random encounters (though I must admit, I do have a small guilty pleasure of watching people dance victoriously), but shame on SE for experimenting with an FF game, and shame on SE for not realizing that this battle system was just not right for an FF game.

If you want to change a game so drastically, make a new game. Keep Final Fantasy the same for Final Fantasy fans. SE hasn't made 13 games with the same title to continue a storyline, or to build a new fan base. They made them because people love Final Fantasy.

In conclusion, if you want to keep making FF games, keep making FF games for the FF fans. If you want to make something totally different, then make something different (i.e. - Unlimited Saga). Don't make the FF fans you created grow away from what we love. If you're going to change the series, just stop making them and walk away with your head held high.

Don't change my Final Fantasy games!

cough

i like it...

the licencing system is kwl! best part!

the battles could be a touch better .. ie..a bit mucked up as in .. a lv30 t-rex in a place where u and everything else is lv2
and..
25 enemies surronding u .. beating u to death ...
but hay...

finally u get to see all 3 characters walk around.. more realistic..

I actually miss the turn based style. Even the ATB style. I've never played FF XII yet, so it may be wrong of me to judge, but it looks like it would play like an online game, and if thats how it plays I'm not very thrilled about it.

yeh does look a bit internetlly lol

hey i heard se are making a diff battle system for every final fantasy from now on...

Back