If Aeris Didn't...?

Her death was an important part of the storyline, which is why I've never understood why some fans are desperate to see her revived.

Like Midwu, Richard, Josef, Tellah, and Gaulf before her, she was required to die in the storyline to add another reason for the player to hunt down and kill the main villian of the game.

If there is an VII remake, Aeris should remain dead, like Tellah did in the remake of IV. Magically reviving her would cheapen the storyline and hurt the impact that her death had for the player.
That's not the question at hand here. The topic is whether or not FFVII would be as memorable or iconic if she didn't die. Or if it's what made FFVII.

Also, she didn't have to die. They were out to kill Sephiroth, save the planet before and so on before she died. What were they doing for most of the first disc? It's not like her death was the one driving force they had left. It certainly was influential impactful for them, and it did increase their cause and ambition that much more, but then again, she was while she was alive as well. It wasn't an actual requirement to say the least.

I agree that she should've remained dead by all means (no hokey revival bit), that it was a great and memorable plot twist, and that it interestingly (to say the least) affect the party... But a necessity or requirement? No.

Last edited:
Well the thing is that without Aerith' death the entire story would have went different.
Although I love Aerith, her death gave the game even more depth and in a way made the battle for the future of the planet even more personal to me, because her death made me quite upset.
Dang, I think I'm gonna go start playing the game again.

Aerith's death was essential to negating Black Meteor's impact, although it's only clear when the ending movie is viewed. I have information on why I have this conclusion.

1. Sephiroth had always suggested that Aerith was a threat. - He was watching Cloud's progress and had noted that an Ancient was w/ him, so he had an eye on her as well. Only when Aerith ran after him did he openly express that she had became a problem.

2. The Holy Aerith had summoned had had a reverse effect than Cloud had predicted. - In fact, if she hadn't died, her spirit w/in the Lifestream somehow parried Black Meteor's impact. I don't understand it, I only recall it.

I think it was some combination of all of the scenes mentioned to be honest.
Yes Aeris' death scene was one of the most memorable and yes it is the one mentioned most often, but other scenes are as important to the story as this one.
The burning of Nibelheim where Tifa was attacked bySephiroth as well as the video where you see Tifa fall and almost die are also hugely improtant.
Then there is the scene where everyone realises that they are fighting for some reason of their own and not just to save the planet.
And of course, if you've seen it, the scene with Zack and Cloud where you see Zack take Cloud to Midgar and ultimately die just before they reach Midgar (massive hole filling cutscene) is also very important to the story as it exlpains how Cloud even got involved with Avalanche.

This scene can be found in the Shinra Mansion library late into disk 3 I think (or at least that's when I watched it) so if you haven't seen do go and watch it, or jusy play Crisis Core...

It's an interesting question. I think VII would still be a classic, iconic game without it, but perhaps not as much. Like someone else said, I think of the Nibelheim flashback as the real defining moment of the game, and the events just a little earlier in the Shinra tower and the escape from Midgar where I first thought the game was amazing.

Sure, people love VII because Aeris' death made them feel angry and sad and involved. I also think people love it for its lovely convoluted storyline, and Cloud's mental issues. Mostly because it was the first game a lot of people played that made them feel something, and yeah, one of those things was sadness at Aeris' death. But I think there's something else we need to consider.

See, Aeris' death wouldn't have mattered at all if you hadn't cared about the character in the first place. That's FFVII's real strength, I think, how much you really get to love these characters and their journey.

So yeah, its a great moment because it tugged on our heartstrings, but it would still be a classic game without it.

Also, she was hardly the first character to die permanently in a video game, or the first to die permanently in an FF. The thing is how well the scene was executed: the music, Sephiroth's bastardly little smirk, the FMV laying her in the water, the "will you all come with me?" speech afterwards. And the thing that made it screw Cloud up so much: his crazy music was playing and he was pulling out his sword, about to do the deed himself before Sephiroth showed up.

So, I guess what I'm saying is Aeris' death is just one part of the game being generally awesome.

It's an interesting question. I think VII would still be a classic, iconic game without it, but perhaps not as much. Like someone else said, I think of the Nibelheim flashback as the real defining moment of the game, and the events just a little earlier in the Shinra tower and the escape from Midgar where I first thought the game was amazing.

Sure, people love VII because Aeris' death made them feel angry and sad and involved. I also think people love it for its lovely convoluted storyline, and Cloud's mental issues. Mostly because it was the first game a lot of people played that made them feel something, and yeah, one of those things was sadness at Aeris' death. But I think there's something else we need to consider.

See, Aeris' death wouldn't have mattered at all if you hadn't cared about the character in the first place. That's FFVII's real strength, I think, how much you really get to love these characters and their journey.

So yeah, its a great moment because it tugged on our heartstrings, but it would still be a classic game without it.

Also, she was hardly the first character to die permanently in a video game, or the first to die permanently in an FF. The thing is how well the scene was executed: the music, Sephiroth's bastardly little smirk, the FMV laying her in the water, the "will you all come with me?" speech afterwards. And the thing that made it screw Cloud up so much: his crazy music was playing and he was pulling out his sword, about to do the deed himself before Sephiroth showed up.

So, I guess what I'm saying is Aeris' death is just one part of the game being generally awesome.

I completely agree, especially on how the scenes made it more memorable, along with actually caring about the characters and what happens to them. FFVII did a relatively rare thing with the characters actually, besides probably Cloud, they each got equal 'air time' so to speak. Their pasts were all talked about and each became a part of the actual story, except possibly Yuffie. It made every character unique and important to the story in their own way. And with Aerith being killed, it gave everything a more powerful sense of meaning.

As for if it is solely what made FFVII as popular and great as it still is, I would disagree. A game isn't made great from one cutscene or small part. It's the game as a whole, from gameplay to characters to storyline. When it all comes together to make something beautiful and memorable, it turns into a great game. Aerith's death scene was part of what made FFVII memorable. It's one of the most well known scenes in Final Fantasy, but it certainly didn't make the game. I will say that it added even more to the game than what it had before.

I heard that she died but i didn't belive it so I played FFVII until well it happened that one scene was the most sad thing I have seen.But after that happened I kept on thinking of how it changed FFVII. When I started FFVII I thought why aeries was so bad in battle but now I know because she died. And know I am thinking about the people who had aeries for her party they would of gone insane.

calis1000k.png
[/url]

It would of been more romantic because can picture Cloud holding Aerith in his arms
kind of like the damsel in distress routine...

// Gets Shot //

.. And giving Sephiroth cold evil saying "How dare you try and harm Aerith, rarhh "..

But seriously it gave Cloud more force to revenge Sephiroth more and give a deeper character to Cloud and make him ironically enough seem like less of a Hero and more of a person that screws up, makes mistakes, and does something that you can regret..

All lot of Final Fantasy players look back at this moment in VII and remember that moment with nostalgic emotions but there is so many moments in VII that can trigger those same memories and same emotions even something small like meeting Tifa for the very first time in her Seventh Heaven bar..

Believe that this moment was more showing that Cloud is not a Superman clone and is not prefect in absolutely every way and just like real people he can screw up fair and simple ..

Last edited:
Your point is certainly a valid one, and it is possible that worldwide attention of FFVII would not be so prevalent if Aeris had not died.... So to answer your question: quite possibly... But, myself... I loved the entire game... The death scene was just a clincher. FFVII was nearly perfect in every way (in my opinion) and so the Aeris scene is not necessary for my adoration...

As a matter of fact... If it was not for the attention garnered by that single scene, the entire Final Fantasy Series would not be nearly as popular. I doubt seriously then, that spin-off games like Dirge would have ever been made (except of course fan-based fiction or the like).

In my opinion, if Aerith hadn't died, the game would've been twenty times better. I found it to be a bit boring that it is always the innocent female character that has to die. I found it awful that it had to be my favorite character in the whole crappy game.

As for the game's overall, undeserved imo, fame, I don't think it would've had that much effect. I don't usually hear people stating that the fact that she died made it one of the greatest games ever, but that it's awesome, hole-filled story, was it's strength, of which Aerith's death is only a part. People also mention the awesome gameplay.

I think FFVII would be remembered by people, but it wouldn't give so much affection to the people. The "CloudxAerith" people may have thought that it was romantic and sad aswell.
I think the reason why it was so sad is because just when Cloud was controlling himself again, then suddenly Sephiroth appeared out of nowhere and killed Aerith; after that Sephiroth had already taken so much from Cloud.
But if FFVII would be made in these days, then her death wouldn't be as dramatic. The gameproducers just had so much more soul in their games, now it's all so different... :(

Yeah...I really wish she didn't have to die because she's my lead favorite. She just had so much energy and life to her...as well as her funny "rebel" personality towards Cloud. She just made things a bit more livelier for Cloud like dressing him up as a girl. In all honesty, I really can't choose which pairing I like more; CloudxAerith, or ZackxAerith.

I'm sure if Square Enix didn't kill her off, they could've still made an amazing game.

She was one of my least favorite characters until this sequence of scenes took pace to be honest. I never used her in battle.

However I think it's certainly pretty obvious that the entire game from that point on would be at least somewhat different, and it would almost certainly not end the same. How it would end is not really possibly to decipher with the information we have though.

What made FFVII have so much impact on its fans was this tragic moment.No one was expecting her to die,it was a complete surprise.Even I that already knew it,when I saw the scene it definitely affect me and for a day I was depressed.
I also think that moment made Sephiroth look very evil and how a vilain should be,but also it made Aeris even more lovable.They loved her even more after this incident.
Which character can make fans love her so much by dying thoughtout the 1/3 of the game?None,only Aeris.

Aerith's death was a big part of the game. Although I wish it hadn't been so early in the game in which she died.

I'm sure the game wouldn't be bad. But 50% or more of the Topics/debate about FF7 revolves around her death. So no, the game wouldn't be what it is. Her Death obviously is the buckle to the belt that made this game so amazing.

The story never could have played out the way it did without her death, or should we call it a sacrifice. I believe that Aerith could have kept herself from dying if she wanted, but she was sacrificing herself to become closer to holy, and closer to the planet.

Back