I don't understand why FF7 is so great...

wehttamrd

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Okay I'm about 8 hours into this game. It's "okay." Slowly getting better, but I don't think it's any greater than 9 and 10 which i just finished playing. Does this game get any better? I'm at the Inn right now at Kalm where Cloud is telling about his past with Sephiroth. I just think this game is "so so." does it get any better? I just don't see why everyone says this game is amazing. I was excited to play it and I'm so disappointed. :wtf:

I'm not sure what are you saying there. o_O

First of all, you're still in the first part of the game. Its more like you've just started the game, so you can't judge it from now. Although, don't take the graphics into consideration when playing the game, except in battle which I thought it was quite decent for a game in 1997.

It does get better, that part where Cloud is telling the rest about his past with Sephiroth is the most boring part in the game, IMO. >_> Have patience it will take you a good time to beat this game and know it from all the aspects.

I quite agree, you can judge the game from the beginning of it... and Cloud recounted his history is the worst...

But the characters have a nice story and background and such... very compelling... the graphics were simply amazing for 1997 in my opinion.

And the overall story in general is quite well thought out... it starts off kinda slow, but then as you progress into it... it draws you in more and more... or at least thats what happened with me.

Im not a big FF7 fan, but just keep at it. It is considered the best, but it isnt for everyone. Just keep pushing through and see how you feel about it.

I don't get it how can't you like it I bought the psn version and I love it I have been playing for 40 hours and I am still not bored.

Mod edit: Let's give the thread poster some reasons to keep playing and continue the game, yes? Please remember to keep your posts contributory, thanks.

calis1000k.png
[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you feel about the heading into Shrina Headquarters mission ? Because believe that was one of the most exciting parts of the game, either that or Cloud drag queening and kissing Don Cornero haaha kidding !! ^^''

VII won't be loved by everybody but recommend playing to 1/2 to CD two and if your still mwah about it then just stop playing and try another Final Fantasy or replay your personal favorites again for fun ^^

But yeah the end of CD one is where is reaally begins to heat up in the storyline so if your not grabbing tightly on to your PlayStation controller with eyes glued to the screen during the end of CD ones moments then VII may not be your to your liking ^^
But you maybe struggling to enjoy VII because its so overhyped and you were probably aspecting something great and totally amazing, sometimes when something is overhyped your more likely to be disappointed because you have your own visions on how great it could be and you envision something almost wonderful and perfect and your more likely to have your hopes/ dreams smashed, its the negative side of VII with all the hype it has received ^^''

Last edited:
keep playing the game. read the story carefully because it is very interesting. you're 1/10 completed in the game...i think.

I quite agree, you can judge the game from the beginning of it...

that may be... IF the reason you play a game is for it's story.

Personally, I play a game for it's compelling battle mechanics and things that are just generally fun to do.

A story is just somethnig that can make a dreadful game tolerable. It also works vice-versa, but rarely do I play for the story. Though, some dire circumstances may call for dire measures...

I just don't think there's much point in listening to a story if you're not enjoying the gameplay much.

As for the OP's question;

FFVII is our (now) every day, run of the mill, oh im a guy just doin my job, WTF WHY DO I HAVE TO SAVE THE WORLD??????!!!! FUCK MY LIFE story.

At that point... Cloud's perspective has not really turned upside down yet, he's just doing stuff that he could easily imagine himself doing. It'll change a bit once he is not grasping progression as easily as he thought that he would.

I'm not a big FFVII fan anymore, but I can certainly say... the less sources you have to draw conclusions from, the better the story will be.

It does get better, but if you're not really interested yet, you may not ever be. The unfortunate thing about anything that gets a lot of love and hype is that it almost can't live up to expectations.

Part of the reason VII is so very loved is, at its time, there really wasn't anything else like it, especially when you take into consideration that most people who played it had never played an RPG, or any kind of game with a real plot before. I played in in 2000 or so, a few years after it came out, but I hadn't been keeping up with video games at the time, so I was pretty floored. I think, without that "newness" the game is still good, but it's not amazing.

I would suggest going through the game with the expectation that it's going to be decent, not great. It still may not be your bag, though. X is my favorite of the series, so I at least wouldn't think it was weird if you like that one better.

It's hard to say what someone thinks of a certain game when you haven't played it. I played FFIX, FFX, FFVII, and FFVIII in that order. Despite having seen some of the best Final Fantasy graphics early on, FFVII is still very memorable for me and one of my favorites.

For any game, I don't judge it entirely until I've beaten the game. You never know what surprise or plot twist may be around the corner that might change your perspective. I'd keep playing, but try and have the mindset of it being just another fantasy adventure RPG. Not the greatest RPG of all time, because you might not think that. Not even I think that and I still really like it.

8 hours in you could probably judge a fighter or FPS game fairly well, but RPG's take DAYS to complete at least. You really have barely seen what it has to offer. It might be a little hard to do, but try and play the game with no expectations. Keep your mind blank about it, just play it and see what you think on your own. I don't like letting other people sway me on what I think about the game anyway. Form your own unbiased opinion, I'd just keep in mind that this was made in the 90's on the PSX.

Like everyone else said, the Kalm part is pretty boring, despite being able to see Sephiroth in action. :awesome: If you thought the flashback scenes, like with Sephiroth going through the fire, found Sephiroth reading in the Shinra Mansion creepy, or liked Sephiroth tearing open the machine to Jenova; you'll see a lot more intriguing stuff off of that later in the game. Like any good book, a little is revealed, one piece at a time. If you thought it was slowly getting better, than I think you'll see that continue. With it getting continuously 'better' by the time you reach the end of the game, you'll probably get enough of those feelings to really like the game. Or maybe not, won't know until you get there.

I agree that you can judge a game by its begining, but not in this case, I dont want to spoil everything for you, but it is a very exciting game and you will get into it,
Its not repetitive or anything like that.

The story is very interesting...
Thats all I'm saying.

I agre with Kei on that flashback scene. Most boring part of any game ever. It kills me everytime I get to that part

Other than that though, you're expectations were probably so high, you were probably left wondering what all the fuss was about. Too much hype can kill a game

Personally i loved the start of FFVII, blowing up the reactors, Wall Market (one of my favourite parts of the game EVER xD) Infiltrating the headquarters. I thought it was all very exciting stuff xD So maybe, if you don't like it now, it just might not grow on you at all. I would encourage you to soldier on though and form your OWN opinion of it. There are people who love it and those who hate it..... I really enjoyed it, and hopefully you will to :monster:

Pretty much just put what everyone else said here, more or less. Don't be one of those lame people that plays games only if the music and graphics impress them in the INTRO CUTSCENE. God, that pisses me off. I've known quite a few like that and they just don't know when they're missing a good game.

To quote VGCats, "Yeah, the game gets much better when you get out of Midgar." You've just left that. It takes some time to build up because there are some plot obligations to be made -- sad, but you can't get around it. But don't rush through that part -- it's very important.

And remember, I think the greatest part about that game is the characters. They're very realistic, people with problems (some mundane and some quite extraordinary) and you haven't really gotten to a part where the characters really start to.... lets say, 'be natural' yet. :P

Also, I think it was the antagonists sad story that did it too. Not just a villain for evil shits and giggles, but there's actually a story to be told there, and quite a sad one. The complex plot, personally, was what bought it for me. I love complex plots -- the twistier the better! :D

But I'm weird like that. So yeah, give the game some time to warm up before you expect it to start kickin'. When it does, you'll have hoofprints on your face. ;)

Ok, I gotta kinda agree with the TC on the fact that the pace of this game can feel slow at times. When I first played it, I was expecting a game that had a pace that was simular to FF IV, V, VI, or IX. Allowing you to move through the storyline and exploring the overworld in no time at all(the best part of an RPG for me is exploring the overworld and dungeons).

I lost intrest about the point where Cloud has to dress up as a woman to rescue Tifa. With that said, I am willing to give the game another chance to see if it does get better as everyone says it does.

Maybe I expected too much by wanting it to have a quicker pace like IV and the other games in the series.

I guess I'm in the minority... I really liked the Kalm Town flashback scenes.

But I agree with what everyone else said otherwise. Think of Midgar as the "tutorial" for the game. That's where you learn about the game's world, how to work the battle system, and stuff like that. So really, the game has just started. This is the part where I really started to get hooked, because the flashback drew me into the story.

In my opinion, the player doesn't really get to take full advantage of the battle system or appreciate the totality of the storyline until the end of Disk 1 or the beginning of Disk 2, so if you're still feeling unsure by that point it may not be your type of game.

The entire Kalm episode is the most boring part of the entire game, IMHO. It gets so much better, believe me.

FFVII is very slow at the beginning, that has been one of the more notorious things about it. It picks up a lot, I guarantee you.

I have to admit, I really enjoyed being in the Shinra HQ though, and I loved the cross dressing scenario to pieces xD But I understand that not everyone is wowed by the same things :P

But playing only a few hours into FFVII and then calling it quits, is truly not 'giving it a chance'.

To be completely honest, I love FFIX sofa king much and it's tied with VII as my favorite FF, but I found IX to be far more boring in the beginning than VII.

Okay I'm about 8 hours into this game. It's "okay." Slowly getting better, but I don't think it's any greater than 9 and 10 which i just finished playing. Does this game get any better? I'm at the Inn right now at Kalm where Cloud is telling about his past with Sephiroth. I just think this game is "so so." does it get any better? I just don't see why everyone says this game is amazing. I was excited to play it and I'm so disappointed. :wtf:
Well, in my opinion, the game's strongest qualities are its characters and story, both of which need more than a couple hours to develop.

I thought Midgar was an amazing part of the game. However, there are other parts of the game that offer excitement in ways that differ from Midgar, so even if you don't fancy that place, you might like other aspects of the story/game to come.

You're about to hit a few parts of the game where it feels like grunt work (as all games have), but as the plot really develops, a lot of drama and action ensues. It's a matter of sticking through.

Also, you say that you were "disappointed", so part of the reason why you may be turned off is because you may have had heavy expectations.
--

Regarding Kalm, haha, I thought it was great the first time around. Most of us that say it's dull have gone through that story too many times. It sucks because it's one of those "trapped" part of the games, equivalent to a dungeon or something.

Last edited:
Back