Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones

Ravenshirin

ShinRa Guard
Gil
So, I know a lot of people loved the movie, but how many have read the book? I had never heard of HMC until I watched Hayao Miyazaki's version of it, but I found the book online and bought it. When I read it, I found it much different from the movie... and better! Has anyone else read it?

Oh I've had the book for a while, before the movie came out and I liked it very much! I like the movie and the book for completely different reasons though.

Jones has a lovely use of language that's fun and relaxing to read even though technically it's stuff for younger readers. I don't really mind, it's still good storytelling and good writing for all I care! :3 Calcifer comes off as a lot more serious in the book though and I kinda like him better there.

To be honest, I loved Jones' version of Howl much better too. He seemed more realistic--he wasn't noble or anything in the least! He was selfish and vain and only did the bare minimum. The only scene they kept the same in the movie was when he freaked out about his hair, but it didn't seem to fit in the movie whereas it fit perfectly with the Howl from the book. Also, his cousins were adorable. Just to throw that out there. ;p

I've read the book too and enjoyed it a lot. It was different to the film, but very well written. It led me on to Jones' other works; those from the Cristomanci series, which I love even more! :)

Oh, and I missed the soft Calcifer when I read the book.

I adore the books, strange considering I never knew of their existence until the movie, and weirder still when taking into account that I read the last book in the trilogy first.

It should be noted that Diana Wynne Jones passed away in March of this year. The movie based on her book is famous. Yet not one word was announced on any radio station, news channel, or even a decent blog that mentioned her passing.

*sigh*

Wow shame she has died. Never heard much of her except the two Cristomanchi books I have read. Been trying to find if there was more then just these two, As for Howl's castle I never knew there was a book, and as for the anime it is one I kinda like and at the same time don't. Only if for the reason they never explained why the Witch of the wasteland cursed Sophia in the first place except just for something to do. It's been a while since I have seen it so I may be mistaken on that one part. As for the book I will have to try and find it now.

Wow shame she has died. Never heard much of her except the two Cristomanchi books I have read. Been trying to find if there was more then just these two
There most certainly are!! Which of the books have you read?

Personally, The Nine Lives of Christopher Chant, Conrad's Fate then Charmed Life were the best of the bunch! :) There was a Thief's Lord feel to The Magicians of Caprona, and something very Harry Potter about Witch Week. :wacky: Still, both of those were excellent. They just didn't blend into the series QUITE as well. The Pinhoe Egg was good too, but it was the last I read, and there are a few similarities between each book, making it the least exciting for me. I did love the forest, though! :)

I haven't read Mixed Magics yet...

And I had a feeling she'd passed away. :( It's terrible to hear that no one mentioned it. I remember finding out about her disease whilst researching her books.

I have about five on my shelf to read. Currently reading 'Castle in the Air,' the sequel to 'Howl's Moving Castle.' It's very Aladdin. ;)

I love how she seems to engage with other stories, legends and concepts, actually! :) ('Witch Week' was written years before 'Harry Potter,' so that's not based on HP, but it still engages with a similar theme! :))

I heard about her death. :( It's sad because I really adored her writing style--kiddy or not, it was a fun read.

I have only read the Howl books from her (Howl, Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways). It's funny that the 3rd is actually tied with the first for my favorite--for those who haven't read it, you really should.

Back