Hi, I'm new to both this forum and Final Fantasy

Kahotep

Pharaoh
Gil
A good online friend of mine said he was a big fan of the Final Fantasy games, so I've grown interested in playing them. Unfortunately, the only FF title I have been able to find for my PC is XIV, which is an MMORPG that requires a subscription fee I'm not willing to pay. Nonetheless, the mechanics of the other games sound cool to me and I like the fantasy genre in general, so I feel that joining this community was worthwhile anyway.

I'm a Biological Anthropology major at the University of California in San Diego and would like to receive a PhD. in the field someday, but I'm also fascinated by cultural anthropology, history, and paleontology (dinosaurs were my first love). My two main hobbies besides playing PC games are drawing and creative writing. As you might guess from my username, I am especially interested in ancient African civilizations such as Egypt and Nubia; I think a FF game with an Egypto-Nubian or other African theme would be novel and awesome. I don't plan to get deep into the game design industry, but sometimes I bubble with ideas for games I'd like to play.

I look forward to interacting with this community!

Welcome to the forum. You seem like a very interesting person.

I also agree that an Egyptian-themed FF game would be good, or indeed any game of this theme. Egypt tends to be used to represent very ancient civilisations (such as peoples like the Cetra / Ancients in FFVII, if you ever get your hands on that one). I don't think it is very common to have a game actually set when that sort of a civilisation was still thriving or functioning. I've heard that Assassins' Creed 3 will be set in Egypt (albeit it's possible that it would be Ptolemaic period, if not even later).

Anyway, we have similar interests. I'm a student of ancient history (though it's really that, classics, archaeology etc - depending on what we want to do), and I'm interested in general in all of the subjects you listed in your post.

I look forward to seeing you around here.

Good thing you weren't willing to pay the fee. FFXIV is apparently rather poor for an MMORPG. I know they're fixing it and overhauling it, but I still can't believe they let such a sub-par product come out in the first place like that. It feels a little late and I'm sure most of the audience has moved on. You may as well hold off until Guild Wars 2 or something. :wacky:

Welcome aboard. =]

Welcome to the forums, it's not often (at least to my knowledge) that we actually get a newcomer to Final Fantasy itself here. Since you say you're a PC gamer you might want to check out the PC versions of VII and VIII since they were the only ones that were given PC ports (albeit with inferior music for most part) though I imagine they'd be rather difficult to find now.

If you're looking to play the games though it's pretty hard to recommend anything as everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes of each game of the series. Though I wouldn't recommend starting with XII or XIII as they're drastically different from the earlier iterations.

Obviously each of the games are different in their own way but until X-2 they worked with a very similar system each time, XII took more of a MMORPG style approach to the battle system with real time enemies on screen, no transitions to battle and such, whereas the games beforehand had a more traditional JRPG turn based system.

So yeah, welcome and all that.

I'll move this over to Guadosalam for you.

I only left it in The Meeting Room initially since some members do create introductions and chat threads in The Meeting Room where they state who they are, describe themselves etc, and converse with fellow members in a casual sense about their interests. I wasn't sure if you wanted that sort of a thread or not.

But general welcome threads would go in Guadosalam, so I'll move it there unless you want it moved back.

-Moved to Guadosalam-

(dinosaurs were my first love)

Anyway, we have similar interests. I'm a student of ancient history (though it's really that, classics, archaeology etc - depending on what we want to do), and I'm interested in general in all of the subjects you listed in your post.

Argor forgot to mention that he loves his dinosaurs as well. :)

Welcome to the forums, Kahotep! Interesting stuff you noted there; looking forward to seeing you around often.

Welcome to the forums :dave:

Hi, I'm Ayen, welcome to the site. It's nice to meet you, wish I was half as interesting as you sound. One of my hobbies include creative writing too but nowadays it involves parodies, short funnies and video game reviews. Unless you count role playing. But yeah, you dodged a bullet with Final Fantasy XIV. I remember someone saying the game was like Square charging you full price for half a game, I can't remember who said it though.

Hello and welcome to the forums! You sound like a very fascinating person! :D If you fancy a chat, send me a PM! I'd love to learn more about history and ancient traditions! :D

I'm a creative writer too! ^_^ Though I've not written since completing my English with Creative Writing course at Uni, which left me feeling more self conscious about my work than I was before. I really need to write more again so that I can remember how to write for myself. :hmm:

Argor forgot to mention that he loves his dinosaurs as well. :)

This sure is true. All the best and most interesting people do.

If you've not had an imaginary pet dinosaur in your youth (or adulthood) then you have not lived. :argor:

I had imaginary sea monkey friends as a child, does that count? :sad3:

Welcome to the forums :grin: You seem like a nice guy!

Back