Hardest Boss in the Final Fantasy Series...

I found Yunalesca quite challenging. She has 3 forms and she is one hell of a fight! I mean if you get stuck as 3 people non zombified you are screwed. I was stuck for 5 months straight but the whole idea is too level up aeons abilities and to make Bahamuts Megaflare do at least 14 K or 20 K.

EXACTLY HOW I FELT :gasp:

I even summoned Aeons to battle (I wouldn't normally do that, so~) Who in hell would think that you need to be ZOMBIFIED?! I wasted quite a lot of effort, ironically, Zombie-Warding/Proofing my characters :ffs:

Hmm, thinking of the whole FF series that I've actually PLAYED (which isn't quite a lot, but aim is 100%), Cloud of Darkness in FF3 was the most challenging as of yet. I was thinking that the first fight was it, but NO~ you get sent to find that warriors of dark/light (can't remember) and the dark crystals and once you get to that stage, you either teleport yourself out of the tower to save, wasting all that effort to climb the tower, or go on to the 4 minor bosses and the last boss, which IMO were hard.

Hardest boss in the series... Hmmn I've seen quite a few lists, but in my personal opinion (based on experience) these would have to be the hardest bosses for me:

5. Seymour Flux (FFX): Bear in mind I haven't played Final Fantasy X in a LONG long time (as one of my friends still has my copy >:|) but I remember having a lot of trouble defeating Seymour Flux atop Mt. Gagazet.

4. Safer Sephiroth (FFVIII): This fight took me a while. I stumbled across a copy of Final Fantasy VII in my school playground in my last year of High School, I picked up the discs, gave them a clean and BAM finally experienced this game, but the final fight was not only epic, but also challenging... Probably because I was never given my good characters to use.

3. Doom (FFVI): Of the three "statues" in Kefka's tower, Doom definitely gave me the most trouble, almost wiping me out several times, if it wasn't for Relm, I doubt the world would have been restored.

2. Cloud of Darkness (FFIII DS): For several days I would cry out in vain when my party kept fainting, until I discovered the Ninja + Shuriken trick... But even then, this was definitely one of the harder fights in the series.

1. Ultimecia, all the final forms (FFVIII): Oh... My... God... Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite in the series, but this fight took me forever. First time I attempted this (bear in mind my entire party is Lv. 100) I fought strong for three hours, only to die. I woke up early the next morning, and for four hours... FOUR HOURS!!! I fought, then won... Only for my disc to freeze in the credit scroll, but at least I got to see the ending.

Honourable mentions: Bahamut (FFVIII), King Tonberry (FFVIII), Yiazmat (FFXII), Dark Yojimbo (FFX), Tier Two (FFVI).

I found Yunalesca quite challenging. She has 3 forms and she is one hell of a fight! I mean if you get stuck as 3 people non zombified you are screwed. I was stuck for 5 months straight but the whole idea is too level up aeons abilities and to make Bahamuts Megaflare do at least 14 K or 20 K.
That's the idea? I never used Aeons during the game unless it was to sub an aeon in to take a hit for my party.

Seymour Flux was a jerk. I agree. Even the Strategy Guide says there's no real strategy to fighting him. Funny story though, I was beating him for my friend and I forgot to take off the capture weapons but I beat him anyways. Lol Seymour Flux cannot be captured for those of you who were wondering.

Probably the Dark Aeons in FFX and the monsters in the battle arena. They were some tough nuts to crack. The final boss in FFIX was quite tough too. Others include Emerald Weapon in FFVII and those bosses underground in FFX-2 that I couldn't beat because I didn't have the elusive Mascot dress-sphere.

I just found this thread ands had to add....... FF8 Ozma!
Sorry, Ozma is Final Fantasy IX. :gasp:

The CPU is easily my most hated boss in Final Fantasy. For one, you are almost guaranteed to lose. And another reason why I somewhat hate Fusoya, he's a idiot. He says to target the Defense Node. Well, that is worst advise any game has given me since FFVII's "Attack while it's tail's up!".

Last edited:
In essence arent all boss fights hard?

Whatever, the hardest/toughest boss l tangled with in my time(and enjoyed)
had to be......l literally sat for 10 minutes and could not think of one in any story of FF outside of the main story there's heaps but l dont know of any boss i was not somewhat prepared for in the main sequence of play.

That might stupid or arrogant but no boss has cuaght me buy surprise with overwhelming power, duration of Battle or resources in a fight may be factors but the only time when Ive hit a wall is sidequests like Ultima Weapon or the FFVII weapons

Even those Million+Hp enemies on FFXII were not that tough, I wonder if because of games like StarOcean were the late game bossed have millions of HP that with the damage Fighters do on both games being roughly equal it gave me patience for long duration battles?
Strange huh?

Last edited:
1. Ultimecia, all the final forms (FFVIII): Oh... My... God... Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite in the series, but this fight took me forever. First time I attempted this (bear in mind my entire party is Lv. 100) I fought strong for three hours, only to die. I woke up early the next morning, and for four hours... FOUR HOURS!!! I fought, then won... Only for my disc to freeze in the credit scroll, but at least I got to see the ending.

Indeed I had the same issue, one time I got the boss to change to nr2 form (after many attempts) then my ps1 suddenly froze on me I was furious!
I never finished the game becuz I was too weak to finish of the Ultimecia :(

Could you explain that Ohri-jin?
Yuo werent at lvl 100 didnt have the resources for high level magic you just lost interest?
You should have been able to beat the crap out of Ultimecia even with a level 75-80 team
did you bit use the stat bonus of the GF?

Could you explain that Ohri-jin?
Yuo werent at lvl 100 didnt have the resources for high level magic you just lost interest?
You should have been able to beat the crap out of Ultimecia even with a level 75-80 team
did you bit use the stat bonus of the GF?

I cant remember exactly, I believe my whole party and the rest were all lvl 90+ , I think 99/100 yes cuz I always used to kill marlboro's with the help of Odin xD and the exp gained on the island of heaven/hell were substantial indeed. This frustated me cuz even with max lvl's I couldnt do anything.....

even hero potions (which I just HAD TO USE with Ultimecia)

You say even with 75-80 team? man :( it frustrated me like hell.

About the GF's everyone told me AFTERWARDS that is, that the usage of GF"s make you actually weaker....I always use summons too much , Over-usage...sigh...

Yeah in due time I lost interest, I think I gave my ps1 away and FF8 for a Nintendo 64 and Zelda Ocarina of time... a mistake I regret till this day.

I couldnt beat Emerald Weapon or Omega weapon either for the GF Eden.
I tried so many times I really did....it was futile lol

Wow you sound utterly defeated by the experience lol
theres always tomorrow and Ebay for regaining lost memories!
Gf make you weaker l dont get that? you mean if you summon them to much the tend to be ineffective by that stage of the game and can be destroyed by the end game bosses.

I cant remember exactly, I believe my whole party and the rest were all lvl 90+ , I think 99/100 yes cuz I always used to kill marlboro's with the help of Odin xD and the exp gained on the island of heaven/hell were substantial indeed. This frustated me cuz even with max lvl's I couldnt do anything.....

even hero potions (which I just HAD TO USE with Ultimecia)

You say even with 75-80 team? man :( it frustrated me like hell.

About the GF's everyone told me AFTERWARDS that is, that the usage of GF"s make you actually weaker....I always use summons too much , Over-usage...sigh...

having a high level in FF8 is actually a bad thing; the enemy's level depends on the level of your characters. notice how as you get higher levels, you get to draw better magic? getting stronger whilst keeping a low level is the main point of FF8 and the junction system.

i beat Omega Weapon with an average level of around 50-60. just keep collecting good magic (ultima, full life, meltdown etc) using cards or island closest to heaven/hell with no-encounter, and junction them in the right place.

using GF's doesnt make you weaker, it just lowers your SeeD level (meaning less money :gasp:). i didn't see the point in GF's once i discovered that Aura on Zell, Squall, Irvine = unbeatable.

onto the point of the thread, hardest boss outside the side quest ones was probably Yunalesca.

Oh so I played it completely the wrong way... I cheated my way lvling up with the help of Odin...

I heard the GF's make you weaker, maybe I was misinformed, something about compatibility ? but just SeeD level? that is a major difference indeed, anyhow I coulnt beat the boss, it seems becuz of my high lvl... oh well...

Yeah GalaxyFair , lost memories indeed, man good times though, I simply adored FF8.

Yunalesca was the hardest boss to me. I lost count on how many times I tried again.
At first I diidn't even know there were three forms so I already celibrated when I thought I was done after 2 forms xD
The first time I was really underleveled and had no one immunity to zombie or death and the Aeons didn't help that much as well.

Omega Weapon FF8
He is so hard to kill, you get a diploma for doing it.
i beat Omega Weapon with an average level of around 50-60. just keep collecting good magic (ultima, full life, meltdown etc) using cards or island closest to heaven/hell with no-encounter, and junction them in the right place.

I believe you are lying out of your ass.

I believe you are lying out of your ass.

1) Meltdown on enemy for zero defence
2) Aura on Zell and Squall with 255 attack (Ultima x100 junctioned to strength)
3) Booya + Punch Rush repeatedly with Zell (does around 3000-4000 each hit, plus takes miniscule time to do, around 8 hits a second)
4) Renzokuken + Lionheart with Squall
5) Repeat 3+4 if necessary

= Dead anyone.

Seriously, my party being lv.50 means Omega is also lv.50, that's how the bloody game works. If I can have 9999hp (with 100 full lifes and Hp80%+) and 255 strength (with 100 ultimas and Str60%+), plus good speed with 100 triples, there is absolutely no need to level up and make Ultima Weapon unnecessarily stronger.

1) Meltdown on enemy for zero defence
2) Aura on Zell and Squall with 255 attack (Ultima x100 junctioned to strength)
3) Booya + Punch Rush repeatedly with Zell (does around 3000-4000 each hit, plus takes miniscule time to do, around 8 hits a second)
4) Renzokuken + Lionheart with Squall
5) Repeat 3+4 if necessary

= Dead anyone.

Seriously, my party being lv.50 means Omega is also lv.50, that's how the bloody game works. If I can have 9999hp (with 100 full lifes and Hp80%+) and 255 strength (with 100 ultimas and Str60%+), plus good speed with 100 triples, there is absolutely no need to level up and make Ultima Weapon unnecessarily stronger.

I think you might be talking about Ultima Weapon. Omega Weapon is located in the castle of Ultimecia near the end. And theres no way in hell you can beat him at level 50. What you´re saying simply is not true.

You get some very rare items in the game, I believe it was called Hero Drink, which you get something like 3-4 of in the entire game, and you use them all in this fight, to escape his brutal attacks that will kill your entire full healthbar.

Even though if your stats was maxed, like I was. Including the ultimate weapons, the best magics and everything. You can die instantly. Think I tried about ten times before pulling it off - barely.

I think you might be talking about Ultima Weapon. Omega Weapon is located in the castle of Ultimecia near the end. And theres no way in hell you can beat him at level 50. What you´re saying simply is not true.

You get some very rare items in the game, I believe it was called Hero Drink, which you get something like 3-4 of in the entire game, and you use them all in this fight, to escape his brutal attacks that will kill your entire full healthbar.

Even though if your stats was maxed, like I was. Including the ultimate weapons, the best magics and everything. You can die instantly. Think I tried about ten times before pulling it off - barely.

I can honestly say then that you simply don't understand the game then. Yes I do know the difference between Omega and Ultima.

Low Level does not mean low stats, it's the one thing I'm trying to point out. The system in VIII is unlike no other FF; the enemies DO NOT HAVE A SET LEVEL and you CAN GET STRONGER WITHOUT GAINING LEVELS. notice HOW EASY IT IS TO GET TO LV.100? it gives you no advantage whatsoever cos the enemy grows stronger too.

It's simple; use the junction system wisely to get high stats with a low level, so that the enemy also has a low level. Therefore they have low stats, giving you a significant advantage.

Which is the better situation: lv.100 Squall with high stats VS lv 100 enemy or lv.50 Squall with high stats VS lv 50 enemy? It is possible to have high stats at lv 50 thanks to junctioning, so obviously the latter case is much better, since you're up against an enemy that has half its strength.

You say you were maxed out? I presume you were lv.100 too then, so you were up against the strongest, most badass Omega Weapon there is, with tons of Hp and max stats. Of course you'll struggle, you're the one that made it into a beast.

How to avoid dying without hero drinks? 9999hp and Auto-protect; Omega has 3 big attacks; one that does 9999 on one character (so just revive him), one that does 9998 to all (so everyone survives with 1hp) and another that does massive physical damage, so Protect halves the damage. He might not even be able to do more than one of these using the strategy I provided, cos it will die so soon.

I think what you said is just bullshit. The game adjusting bosses to your level? LMAO That has never happened in Final Fantasy, and never will. Thats why the need to level up exists.

I think you are just too embarrassed you were wrong, and was talking about Ultima Weapon all along.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite game of all time. I´ve completed it three times, maxing out everything all of them times. And once in my time, I knew the name of every single enemy in the game. Even their stats and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Back