For the Admins: IP board questions

Apolyonn

"We do away with your kind."
Gil
Hey guys,

A friend of mine and I are in the process of creating a website and want a forum to go along with it. This will be a first for us and we're mostly going on my knowledge of web design. I know nothing about web hosting. I noticed that you guys are using an Invision forum. If it's not too much trouble, i'd like to inquire about two things:

1) Do you pay for this board, and if so, how much? Also, does Invision give you the choice of a domain name, or do you go about getting one from another website (like GoDaddy)?

2) I've noticed, at the bottom, is a box to change skins. How did you get that feature, and if it is a code, would it be any trouble to share it?

Thanks all.

there is definitely a fee for vBulletin in the $200's.

Nope not for this forum. Only the site owner pays as far as I know.

This forum runs vBulletin (who are now owned by the same people as own IPBoards)

IPBoards are quite good (you do need to buy your own domain, same with vb). They have a slightly easier admin backend layout, but much fewer modifications to customise functionality.

Invisionfree is the free version of IPB, I believe it is hosted remotely. It's very limited though. If you're going with a free board, i'd choose SMF (small machines forum)

Lastly theres vBulletin which this board uses. It's the one i would recommend as well. Very customisable, stable, plenty of modifications and a great community behind it.

Hope that helps!

(i've administrated over a dozen boards, and i create software - in the past for IPB and VB, now just for VB =) )
Dragonbyte, thank you, this is the sort of information we need. When you buy a domain, how do you configure the board to be...'subservient' to the domain? ie: forums.mysite.com or mysite.com/forums?

What domain hosts would you recommend, or are they all basically the same?

Back