FF XIII - Just finished it and I have some questions

Iconoclast012

Gil
Hey guys, I guess I'm a little late on beating the game considering I've had it since launch day...then again I did put 96 hours into it and took my time to make sure I saw everything and found everything. I'm sort of a completionist when it comes to games like this.

Anyway, I just finished the game last night and obviously the game was great. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have invested over 90 hours into it. However, I can't help but notice that a lot of things in the story were either just not properly explained, not fully explained, not explained at all or maybe it's because the story has so many details and twists that it can be overwhelming. I did the best I could to follow everything that was going on....even read the datalog after each event to make sure I stayed on the right track so everything would come together....but a lot of things just didn't..

Now, some of my questions may seem silly to someone who totally understands the story, or maybe I missed some things along the way, but bare with me because every one of my questions is a serious one...and yes I don't know the answers. :(

So, here goes....

1) Are Barthandelus and Ophran two seperate Fal'cie or are they one in the same?

2) Is Barthandelus the only Fal'cie who wanted to destroy Cocoon in order to bring back "the maker" or was it all of them? Is Barthandelus the "traitor" fal'cie or is orphan the traitor?

3) If Barthandelus wants Cocoon destroyed and Orphan wants to die, why do they do their best to try and kill you throughout the game? If they want to die, why don't they just tell you they want to die and get it over with already? Why do they put you through so much trouble if they just want you to kill them. All of their mind games seem so unnecessary if all they want to do is to die....

4) Does killing Orphan destroy the other sanctum Fal'cie also? Such as Phoenix and Carbuncle? Phoenix plays the part of the Sun and Carbuncle controls the food supply. So...if they're gone too....wouldn't Cocoon still be doomed anyway?

5) Who is the Fal'cie Eden and what are it's intentions? I don't believe it is ever shown in the game. It's mentioned but I don't believe you ever see it.

6) Why does Fang try to kill Vanille before the last battle?

7) If the focus of becoming Ragnarok is to destroy Cocoon why does Ragnarok end up saving Cocoon? Why does Barthandelus/Orphan not know and anticipate this fact?

8) Why do Fang and Vanille BOTH become Ragnarok? I assumed only one L'cie could become Ragnarok.

9) What is the real difference between sanctum fal'cie and pulse fal'cie?

10) What sparked the war of transgression 500 years earlier?

11) If the majority of the human inhabitants of Pulse were turned into Cie'th during the war of transgression then how did so many humans end up making it to Cocoon?

12) Did Barthandelus build Cocoon or did all of the Fal'cie build cocoon?

13) Why were the human inhabitants of Pulse trying to destroy Cocoon 500 years earlier?

14) Were there humans on Cocoon 500 years earlier or did they all live on Pulse?

15) How long has Cocoon been floating in the sky above Pulse and what was the main purpose of building it? To harbor humans for hundreds of years just so they could all be slaughtered? Why would the Fal'cie go to so much trouble building something so massive if they were just going to destroy it? Why didn't they just destroy the original Pulse inhabitants instead to bring back their maker? The fal'cie motives don't really make a lot of sense....

(16 Why can't the Fal'cie carry out their own actions? Why do they need L'cie slaves to do their work for them? If they are half-gods they should be able to do anything they want, right? What's stopping them?

17) If Orphan just wants to die, then why can't it just kill itself or ask for the aid of another fal'cie? Why do they need humans to do their work for them?

18) Why are the events of the war of transgression never fully explained?

19) Why did Fang and Vanille fail their focus 500 years earlier? And, if they failed it, why did they enter crystal stasis instead of being turned into Cie'th?

20) When Fang and Vanille become Ragnarok during the ending and save cocoon by wrapping it in crystal, I assume this means they completed their previously failed focus from 500 years earlier? I thought their focus was to destroy it, not prevent it from falling?

21) When Fang and Vanille enter crystal stasis AGAIN after becoming Ragnarok in the ending cutscene and stopping Cocoon from crashing into the ground, doesn't that only mean they will wake up from Stasis in another few-hundred years and it will just fall anyway?

22) This "maker" character is never explained much at all. Why did he create fal'cie? How long have the fal'cie been around? Have they been around as long as the human inhabitants of Pulse or are they "foreign invaders" or aliens so-to-speak?

23) For being half-gods the fal'cie seem to be constrained by A LOT of rules....why is this?

24) Is your party really turned into Cie'th before the final battle or is that just more illusionary tricks from barthandelus?

25) After Ragnarok wraps Cocoon in a protective crystal barrier and stops it from falling during the ending cutscene, all of your party members appear to be in crystal stasis...then magically they're not all of a sudden...what gives?

As much as I liked this game and the storyline, I felt that a lot of it was either just poorly explained or not fully explained. I managed to follow it pretty well throughout the game, but after the final credits I just had a "shrug your shoulders" feeling and tons of unanswered questions. I felt like the game just didn't tie up a ton of loose ends or fully explain itself. I could probably ask 25 more questions... Maybe I'm just an idiot, but this is one of the only storylines I've followed in my entire life that I've had trouble putting together in the end.... And I've read some pretty complicated storylines.

1. They are seperate. Orphan simply uses Barthandalus as a human shell when it emerges from its pool.

2. Orphan wanted to destroy itself too, in the end. It's never speciffically stated if any of the other Fal'Cie want to destroy Orphan. Although Eden is believed to be the mastermind at one point, she does transport the L'cie to Orphan when they want to protect it. I assume Barthandalus is the only one.

3. They want to summon the Maker, the creator of Fal'cie and humans, by destroying Cocoon, and make a Fal'cie's world. It is stated by Lightning that Cocoon was likely a world for the Fal'cie. They felt orphaned of their parent.

4. Orphan is the battery to Eden, the central Fal'cie. By destroying it, they cut off Eden's power source. As Eden powers all Cocoon Fal'cie, her or Orphan's deaths would result in the death of all Cocoon Fal'cie. It's easier than destroying them one by one.

5. Eden is seen in Chapter 13. She transports the L'cie through Orphan's Cradle. While she is believed to be the antagonist of the game before the appearance of Barthandalus, her intentions are never stated in game.

6. Because she didn't want to see her go Cieth or be forced to become Ragnarok.

7. I believe because Vanille and Fang had that humanity and character development that allowed them to maintain their sanity. Cocoon was more or less doomed. It may have been their way of protecting Pulse. Cocoon crashing into Pulse would do massive damage. It is also mentioned several times how Fal'cie see humans as tools. Chances are they didn't account for the humanity of their L'cie.

8. Perhaps it was too much power for one L'cie to handle.

9. Sanctum Fal'cie maintain Cocoon. Pulse Fal'cie maintain Pulse. That's the only difference I can see.

10. Fear of Cocoon as "a floating nest of vipers, ready to strike." Cocoon feared Pulse. Pulse feared Cocoon. War was inevitable.

11. People were in Cocoon from the start.I don't think they began in Pulse, aside from Pulsian people.

12. The Maker made Cocoon and made Fal'cie to maintain and live in it.

13. They were afraid that Cocoon would attack first.

14. There were humans on Cocoon from the start.

15. I think Cocoon was there from the start. And the Fal'cie weren't always so bitter. It was only after they started to miss their Maker, a parent to them. And as for why they didn't destroy Pulse, do you see any Cocoon Fal'cie aside from Barthandalus who isn't physically bound to Cocoon? Orphan is bound to its pool. Eden is bound to Orphan's Cradle. Phoenix to the sky. Carnbuncle to Palumpolum and Kujata to Euride Gorge etc. They can't leave Cocoon.

16. Cocoon Fal'cie can't destroy Cocoon because it goes against their nature. You can consider it a Focus of their own to keep Cocoon safe. They need tools to do it for them.

17. Orphan was asleep before Barthandalus' power awakened it. Also, to do so would go against its nature, to protect Cocoon. This is likely why it fought back when the l'cie were fighting it as well, because it must defend Cocoon, and therefore itself.

18. They're given quite decent explanation. There's a scene in Chapter 11 with a Cieth that keeps record of the War. After that your Datalog is updated with new section explaining history. Also likely is that all you needed to know was Fang and Vanille's involvement in thw War.

19. They half completed it by damaging Cocoon's outer shell. It is also mentioned that the Goddess who gave Fang and Vanille power took it from them, feeling pity for Cocoon citizens and placing the two in crystal stasis.

20. They caused the crystallisation with their own powers. One of Ragnarok's powers would appear to be crystallization.

21. Perhaps. There's no telling. It is said that those who crystallize on Cocoon will wake up someday.

22. It created fal'cie to populate the world and were there from the beginning. Lightning does mention that it could be the humans that are the parasites and it is implied that Cocoon is a Fal'cie world.

23. The only real rules are that they protect their given location, depending on if they are Cocoon Fal'cie or Pulse Fal'cie. They must protect their given location as that is what the Maker charged them to do after they were created.

24. Yes. They are, however, given new focusses, perhaps due to their own willpower. Being cleared of becoming Cieth by their will may be part of that.

25. Ragnarok's power made this happen.

Last edited:
Well, that definitely clears some things up! Thanks. Maybe I had so many questions because I played the game over nearly a four month period of time and the events from earlier in the game just kind of faded from memory a bit.

You have to admit though that it is a pretty overwhelming storyline....and some things could have been explained in more detail by the game.

I think some of your answers would be in the Datalog, and not everyone's going to remember that. I think they just want the player to figure out a few things on their own as opposed to giving them all the information.

about question 3, I had the same question if he wants to die can't he just jump off a bridge? that would be faster.

Most of what Mitsuru said is right except for the fact that Cocoon wasn't there from the start. The goddess Etro (aka Pulse) made pulse, humans, and pulse falcie. Then she left.

There was another god, Lindzei, who was described as serpent-like (i.e. satanic) and made Cocoon out of pieces of pulse as well as sanctum falcie. Then it tricked humans on Pulse into believing Cocoon was a floating paradise and lured them there. Afterwards, it also left.

Humans who stayed on Pulse despised Cocoon because they knew its promises of paradise were lies and thus wanted to destroy it, leading to the War of Transgression. All of this is in the datalog.

What I don't get is that since there are two gods, which one are the Cocoon falcie trying to bring back?

Also, the Cocoon falcie are different from their Pulse counterparts not only in that they were made by different Gods, but it's apparent that Pulse falcie don't interfere with human activities and just go about their own business. On the other hand, Cocoon falcie pretty much run the lives of their human subordinates.

And the purpose of Cocoon from the perspective of Cocoon falcie is to be the means for instantaneous slaughter of millions of humans. They thought such a large number of humans dieing at once and entering the heavens would tear a hole between their world and the heavens large enough that their maker can't ignore.

Last edited:
Most Fal'cie can't kill themselves because it would destroy Cocoon. They can't directly harm Cocoon or themselves. It's forbidden.

And I'd say Lindzei was the god the Cocoon Fal'cie wanted back. Considering he created Cocoon, they'd want their "Maker" back.

Back