FF 14 ARR Heavensward - so many questions

Bryght Kane

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Terra
I am seriously considering on becoming a new FF online player, I have so many questions that I want to ask.

* On the PC, Could this mmo be played in a window instead of a full screen?
* Is the computer mouse used by the players to control their characters?
*How many character avatars are players allowed to make on their account?
*What are Legacy Players and what does that mean?
*Could I download every part of Final Fantasy XIV from the internet? I mean the original parts, and A Realm Reborn, and Heavensward
*What are minions and what do they do, and be used for?
*Do eyeglasses exist in this mmo, and could my character avatar wear them?
*Which NA game server is for the players that want to play casually at their own pace?
*Is it possible for summoners to obtain the popular summons as Leviathan, Shiva, Bahamut, and Ramuh?
* Could the chocobo be both a mount and a summon?
*Is it possible for chocobos to fight your enemies with you?
*Do player usergroups exist, and could I join one of them?
*Is it possible to switch from one job-class to another in mid-game?
*Is it possible for me to collect most to all mounts, minions, and summons in the game?
*I love Final Fantasy fashion, So Is it possible to gain all the pretty in-game clothing? Even the outfits of all the characters from the older games? example = Tifa Lockheart
*Do festivals and seasonal events happen in this mmo?

I'm a PS4 peasant so I dunno about the PC questions. But I'm bored so I'll answer a couple of the others xD

3) I believe you can make... 8 different characters? I think. Not really sure why you'd want to though.
4) Every part from the Internet? Not sure if you're talking about torrenting or what. But you can buy it here and download directly from the store.
5) Minions are little cute things. They don't do much... Yet. They're like pets, I suppose! I heard something about minion battles in patch 3.1 but until then they just look cute :p I love my owlet.
6) Lamia is a nice server.
9) Yup! I use my Choco when I'm out and about because dps as a healer can be kinda lethargic.
11) Of course. You can change at any time by switching your weapon (though not in dungeons and stuff, obviously).
12) You'd have to be very lucky. And bored xD

Unfortunately, I can't answer the PC specific questions either.

It depends on the type of monthly subscription you're electing to go for. The most basic entry one only permits one character per server, and 8 in total (so up to 8 characters, each in different servers). Should you choose to pay the standard monthly fare, you're looking at an allowance of around 8 characters per server, with up to 40 in total.

Players who have been around prior to 2.0 A Realm Reborn, aka the nuked 1.0 version of the game that was shut down in December 2012.

*Could I download every part of Final Fantasy XIV from the internet? I mean the original parts, and A Realm Reborn, and Heavensward

What Mythix has said. You purchase the game (and the expansion if you wish, though you need to complete all the 2.0 story including the 2.x series patch content before you can reach Heavensward) and you will be downloading all available patch content for free. The only part of FFXIV you CANNOT buy or legally obtain is the old 1.0 incarnation of the game.

Just cute little critters for vanity purposes. To corroborate with what Mythix has said, I hear the game's Gold Saucer will soon have an RTS minigame featuring your minions, so stay tuned for that.

Yes, though they are chiefly items you have to craft. They are also attainable through the game's marketboard if you so wish.

Take note however, that you will normally be wearing combat-specific gear pieces, and glasses are typically for vanity purposes as well. It is conventionally not recommended that you weaken your character's item level by directly equipping on vanity gear. A player would need to unlock what is called the Glamour system to be able to transform the appearance of your headgear at the time into say, glasses, without adversely affecting their stats. Unfortunately, the Glamour system is locked behind the 2.0 main story gate, if I recall correctly.

*Which NA game server is for the players that want to play casually at their own pace?

Any NA server would be great for a casual player! Sans maybe Balmung, because it's the unofficial RP server and likely not the best starting point for someone entirely new to the MMO scene. Most of the people on this website are on Lamia.

*Is it possible for summoners to obtain the popular summons as Leviathan, Shiva, Bahamut, and Ramuh?

Yeeeeeeeah, about that...

The term "Summoner" in FFXIV is arguably a misleading label. They cannot summon like in the offline titles. They can only summon three tiny familiar-like versions of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda, each serving staple roles of melee damage dealer, tank and ranged damage dealer respectively. In Heavensward, a Summoner at max level with the unlocked abilities can literally call upon the embodiment of Bahamut for a Limit Break-like area attack, but that is it. A Summoner in FFXIV is only a damage-over-time magic user who just so happen to possess the ability to summon only 3 Egis (one at a time as well).

Those summons are in the game as boss opponents.

See Mythix's answer. Once you unlock the function, use a Gysahl Green and a Chocobo can appear at your side to fight with you on the overworld zones. This can be a great boon to the solo content. You could be a DPS and you need your bird to have tank or healer characteristics to give you the edge.

The only limitation is that you cannot queue for a dungeon with a Chocobo out. And nor can you bring a Chocobo out in a dungeon.

Not entirely sure what you mean here. I'll hazard a guess and suppose you're thinking of player guilds that have their own ranks. It's entirely up to each guild (known as Free Companies) how their ranks operate.

Yes! Providing you have unlocked the class and have the corresponding main hand weapon/tool in your inventory, you can switch on the fly outside of combat and outside of instanced scenarios such as dungeons.

*Is it possible for me to collect most to all mounts, minions, and summons in the game?

....well, I suppose it is possible, but trust me, you would not want to subject yourself to the torture. :8F:

*I love Final Fantasy fashion, So Is it possible to gain all the pretty in-game clothing? Even the outfits of all the characters from the older games? example = Tifa Lockheart

The game has a variety of vanity clothing, though a lot of them are difficult to craft and are extortionately overpriced to boot.

As for outfits of familiar characters, you're probably out of luck. Veteran rewards can give you an Advent Children Cloud Strife outfit (you have to be subbed for at least 720 days in total) and FF2's Firion outfit (sub for 840 days), but you're unlikely to ever get there anytime soon.

There were two special timed events when you could gain Lightning's outfit as a female character, or Snow's outfit as a male character, but for whatever reason those events have not (and likely will not) be repeated again. Nor can you buy the outfits from the Mogstation store with real money.

Yup! Keep an eye out on the official Lodestone page to see when they pop up.

@Bryght Kane

* On the PC, Could this mmo be played in a window instead of a full screen?
A: Borderless window, windowed, and fullscreen are three options for this game on PC.

* Is the computer mouse used by the players to control their characters?
A: Yes, however you can also set up hotkeys so certain (extra) buttons use actions and skills.

A: Depending on your sub, you can have either a total of 1 character per world, or 8 characters per world. However ONE character can learn all the jobs/classes there are in the game.

A: Legacy players have been here since FFXIV's first official launch, not just since the remake.

A: Yes, http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ and https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/Login?cont=account&request=mogstation (Mostation) are your friends. You can also purchase the game + downloadable content via Steam.

A: Minions are little NPCs that just follow you around unless your chocobo is with you or you're doing content.

A: Yes, headwear is part of the characters' gear and you can glamour things to look like glasses if you are wearing a hat and would like a monocle for example.

A: Any. You're not forced to run anything quickly. Lamia is the one most of our forum members are on, so this may be a good option if you want people to help you with content you need groups for.

A: Some, yes. They're called "Pets" the healer version of Summoners (Scholars) get fairies to heal alongside.

A: A mount and a companion, it can help you in solo content in the main world.

A: Answered above.

A: Yes, it ranges from Free Companies, to linkshells, raid groups, you name it. Some may have requirements.

A: Yes, unless you're in battle.

A: Yes, if you're willing to spend 1. Money, and 2. Go through all the events and don't miss them.

A: My character right now:
WyniUWS.png

Is that Tifa enough for you? xD

A: Yes, they have a due date, so if you want the special items, make sure you enter them!

Yeah there's plenty of various eyewear, glasses, blinders, goggles, etc., also if you need something glamoured you can always have someone who has the skill (like one of us or another player) to glamour it for you though other people may ask for gil for their service.

Any is fine but most of us are on the Lamia Server

Atm not yet, although they may make these are summonable later in heavensward(not confirmed but suspected)

Yes you can collect all of the current stuff aside from Collector Edition Mounts/Pre order mounts, some are hard to get (elemental ponies from the extreme primal fights, 1,000,000 MGP for Fenrir mount, Tanking high ranked missions 200-500 times for Warlions/boars/etc.) Collecting minions is a time consuming quest too since there are easily over 50+ to nab, and summons are only 3 atm(well 4 is you count carbuncle)

As Kira said you can get FF Character Glamour Gears such as Clouds AC suit, Firions Suit, while others like Lightnings/snows Outfit are event only.

Though like they did with lightning returns we may get a event to celebrate 7's remake and that may give tifas clothes and or weapons from the game.

Yes we do have seasonal events (currently the 2nd annerversary is going on with new swimsuits and all) but as the years go on you will not be able to freely obtain the old event items(seemingly they add the old items to the "Optional Items" in the mogstation so things like old swimsuits, ghost gowns, valentines gear, etc. will cost real funds if you REALLY want them for glamouring later on.

Thank you for the answers, but I have more questions to ask.

*What is the difference between a free company and a linkshell?
*If a player has been playing the mmo for a while and later downloads the same mmo to a brand new computer, Will any game data be lost?
*Do minions help the players in battle?
*Is it possible for players to build their own airship?
*Do Inns, bars, magic shops, item shops, armor shops, and weapon shops exist in FF XIV?
*Are there any of the heroes and villains from the older games in the mmo, as NPCs? example - meeting FF IXs Eiko Carroll, or Dissidia 012's Shantotto and Prishe
*Are Moogles existing in FF XIV?

*If a player has been playing the mmo for a while and later downloads the same mmo to a brand new computer, Will any game data be lost?
*Do Inns, bars, magic shops, item shops, armor shops, and weapon shops exist in FF XIV?
*Are there any of the heroes and villains from the older games in the mmo, as NPCs? example - meeting FF IXs Eiko Carroll, or Dissidia 012's Shantotto and Prishe

1.Free Companies are basically your guilds, you share a house if you are lucky enough to find a plot, and can benefit from guild buffs if they are executed. It also allows people in the same FC to chat with one another. A linkshell is just a social group that can talk to oneanother.
2. If you keep your same account then no, I had it via laptop and now play on ps3, as long as you use your same service account then no you wont lose data.
3.no atm
4. I believe in a latter update
5. Inns and Bars do and not the traditional weapon and armor shops but you can buy some vendors
6.glamors only
7. yes

1. The difference is the Free Company offers more perks, like EXP bonuses when activated, the Linkshell is just a "tab" where you can chat with people. Usually for hunts (Bonus enemies).
2. No, as long as you use your own Square Enix account all your data is saved to their servers.
3. No.
4. Yes, however you need to have a house: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Housing You need to get a certain "workroom" added that you purchase with Gil and go from there.
5. Yes, but not as detailed as you may remember in 7 or 9 for example. There's different kinds of shops. A major way to get your items is the marketboard as well.
6. Lightning is there for certain events, I can't remember others (if there are any)
7. Yes, moogles... Ugh. Lol. Let's just say you won't be missing moogles at a certain point... Moogle overflow!

1. The difference is the Free Company offers more perks, like EXP bonuses when activated, the Linkshell is just a "tab" where you can chat with people. Usually for hunts (Bonus enemies).
2. No, as long as you use your own Square Enix account all your data is saved to their servers.
3. No.
4. Yes, however you need to have a house: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Housing You need to get a certain "workroom" added that you purchase with Gil and go from there.
5. Yes, but not as detailed as you may remember in 7 or 9 for example. There's different kinds of shops. A major way to get your items is the marketboard as well.
6. Lightning is there for certain events, I can't remember others (if there are any)
7. Yes, moogles... Ugh. Lol. Let's just say you won't be missing moogles at a certain point... Moogle overflow!

Adding to this.

1. Linkshells are also good for communicating with people outside of your Free Company as well so if you have friends in-game in a different FC feel free to make a linkshell for them.
3. While minions don't help you at battle some minions like Wind-Up Tonberry will attack enemies too. It's just for cosmetics though and it does nothing.
5. It's best to avoid the marketboard though because most of the time the items and gear will be overpriced.

Where is the best place for players to in-game shop?
Do players have housing yet, and which home styles are there?
Do players craft their own weapons, armor, and other items of worth?
What is the level of crafting in the game? light or deep

Where is the best place for players to in-game shop?
Do players have housing yet, and which home styles are there?
Do players craft their own weapons, armor, and other items of worth?
What is the level of crafting in the game? light or deep

1) The vendors in cities can be useful if you are after some common ingredients/reagents for common crafts, or certain more advanced crafts that just happen to feature a vendor ingredient as part of its recipe. Just don't expect to find vendors useful for equipment and gear (unless you are just starting up Heavensward, as Ishgard vendors suddenly sell decent gear to start you off with). Otherwise, the only place for players to do in-game shopping is the marketboard. Inevitably, the marketboard is a double-edged sword. Play it smartly and you can make decent profits from it, but certain items can be priced at ludicrous levels, according to basic principles of supply and demand, etc. Be wary of making impulse purchases, especially for weapons and armour, because chances are, you may earn a decent drop from a dungeon run instead. Note that economies vary from server to server. Lamia seems fine. A server like Masamune I hear is an economic disaster.

2) The housing system has been an unmitigated disaster. Yoshi-P once promised an actual system for personal housing that wouldn't cost the moon...and the game currently has personal housing mixed in with Free Company housing with very, very, very finite server space available for housing. On most servers, every house has been taken and I have no idea how and when Square Enix plan to address this issue in a tangible way. I hear the next patch may allow land owned by inactive occupants to be freed, but that will be depleted in minutes, I reckon. Were it not such a disaster, a player would theoretically be able to purchase a house, providing they have a few million Gil for the smallest sized property. A large one would set you back probably 35+ million.

House styles are rather sparse, let's be honest, though there is a wide variety of ways you can decorate the exterior and interior of a house. Unfortunately, a lot of these house fixtures are attained from high level crafting, or from the marketboard at a considerable cost. Ultimately, and regrettably, this is not the MMO for a player seeking a guaranteed personal house.

3) Yes, yes, yes. Though weapons and armour can be crafted and do sell, it's more common for players to farm dungeon runs to obtain their gear. The current best-in-slot weapons and armour cannot be crafted. They're strictly from the current hardest raid (Alexander Savage Mode). Bear in mind: crafting is not mandatory. A player can fully concentrate on solo content and raiding without once going anywhere near a guildmaster.

4) It is surprisingly deep and complex. Crafting is almost like its own game, because when you actually go about with a craft, you notice your hotbars feature skills and abilities exclusive only to crafting. At first, it's a basic affair, but as recipes mount in level and difficulty, you begin to feel the necessity of utilising transferable abilities from other crafting classes to help you finish a craft and/or achieve a high enough item quality. You gradually learn and adapt; you discover which skills may or may not be worth using; and you slowly build up what can be considered a decent skill rotation to give yourself a fairly strong chance of success. Mind you, crafting is also heavily affected by RNG*, which will dictate much of the likelihood of success. As a result, crafting is also about trying to conquer RNG.

*RNG = random number generator - e.g. you have 70% chance of this step of your craft succeeding. And trust me, 70% of success in FFXIV terms is horrible odds.

Might be worth noting that if you're curious enough to want to play BUT on the fence about paying for it then http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/en/ is you're friend you get 14 days (with certain limitations) I was fortunate enough to have played the Beta and subsequently have FF14 ARR on PC, PS3 and PS4 and Heavensward on the PS4. I would get HW on PC as well but right now my system is in need of serious work as it suffers terrible overheating issues.

Anyway 14 days should be ample time to decide then just purchase the full version and get your 30 days free. Just a thought :)

Back