Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Does anybody have a favourite monster design in the franchise?

This can be a common monster, a one-off battle, a boss, or anything. I am not thinking about characters here, although entities like Gizamaluke may be borderline and can be included if you like.

I'll answer with my own favourite/s at a later date after giving it some thought.

I understand that this might be a very wide net, so you can discuss a number in your hauls if you like.

There's a few that I really like, though I'm not sure if I want to claim any single one as my favorite. I think if I had to choose, maybe it would be Behemoths. They're so large & beefy & just an awesome super-enemy with high-level damage/skill that matches their beefiness. I really enjoyed seeing the Deadeye Behemoth in FFXV & hearing him snarl & growl! Very cool. That said, also enjoy the Coeurl monsters. A lot of these look more amazing as these games progress & the graphics get better.

Also Tonberries 🙃 *Doink*

For me it's the Malboro!
1637078045299.png

whenever this b******* appears there's trouble! It's one of the few enemies that comes to mind which really focuses on devastating status effects. I think the worst appearance is in Final Fantasy VIII in The Island Closest to Hell - The Bad breath attack and really demobilize your party! I think the Great Malboro in FFX is a close second, at least on the initial playthrough - Once you get really overpowered like everything else in the game it's a doddle.

I was very disappointed to see Malboro absent from XIII-2, I would have loved to recruit the beast.

Iron Giant.

Strong and indestructible. That's really all I have to say, and I believe it's all the reason I need to have it as a favorite.

I really like the design of Demon Wall, it's equal parts awesome and disturbingly macabre. It's fascinating how they managed to make an otherwise mundane concept (I mean, come on, it's a wall!) into something so looming and threatening. These artworks say it all:

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 15.28.31.png
b71a4c11c114977e9ed299b60a6dbac3.jpeg
maxresdefault.jpeg

For me, this boss it just lowkey terrifying :sad3:

Other notable designs would be from FFXIV, both Kuribu and Innocence are simply stunning! Innocence is literally the glow-up to end all glow-ups - I was impressed! :whistle2:

Xt8xBGb.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 15.44.05.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 15.45.49.png
tumblr_pul6uvunUP1ty2tako3_r1_1280.jpeg

On reflection, some of Square Enix's most standout monster designs and concepts are positively biblical. They've definitely nailed the whole wonder and awe, and cower in fear vibes.

I've always loved the Behemoth and thinking about it's evolution from game to game. It's always the "Oh Shi..." enemy. (For a different reason then a Malboro)

It's also really interesting how sometimes it's on two legs and sometimes on four.

Back