Nintendo Favorite Pokémon Generation?

mothcorrupteth

Orthodox Christian
Gil
So over the past year or so, I've been slowly coming back to Pokémon after leaving it following Gen. 1. I got Gold on 3DS virtual console in November, I followed up with Alpha Sapphire in December, and HeartGold in July. Meanwhile, I chatted at length with my brother-in-law, who has been a consistent fan since Gen. 3, and I asked him about some of the later Generations. He vehemently expressed his distaste for Sun and Moon, so much that I was surprised. "But the designs look so great! Not at all like what I've seen about Gen. 5!" "Yeah, but the tutorials completely ruin the pacing!" Fortunately, I didn't listen to him and picked up Ultra Moon this week. It's true, the tutorials are a bit much, but I love it.

So my question is really a two-parter. First, out of all the gens you've played (played, now--you don't have to have beaten it), how do you rank them? And second, if you rank Gen. 6 (X and Y) lower than most of the others, why? I want to understand why I'm tending to find that people don't like the 3DS era so much.

And to start things off, here's my list:
  1. Gen. 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
  2. Gen. 7 (Sun / Moon / Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon)
  3. Gen. 2 redux (HeartGold/SoulSilver)
  4. Gen. 3 redux (Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby)
  5. Gen. 1 redux (FireRed/LeafGreen)
  6. Gen. 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)
And then, let's list the ones I haven't even touched, so you can copy and paste if you want:
  • Gen. 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)
  • Gen. 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
  • Gen. 5 (Black / White / Black 2 / White 2)
  • Gen. 6 (X / Y)
  • Gen. 1 second redux (Let's Go! Pikachu / Evee)
So again, what about you? How do you rank them, and why? I want to know what my next purchase should be!

Let's let it be known that Gen 2 and it's remake is the best. No doubt about it! On the other hand I did not enjoy gen 3 and it's remake at all sadly. I'd also recommend playing Gen 4.

My favorites list would be something like:

Gen 2 redux(HeartGold/SoulSilver)
Gen 2(Gold/Silver/Crystal)
Gen 4(Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
Gen 1 Redux(FireRed/LeafGreen)
Gen 1(Red/Blue/Yellow)
Gen 6(X/Y)
Gen 3 redux(Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire
Gen 3(Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Everything else I haven't listed I've skipped. Looking forward to Gen 8. Hopefully I'll be able to add it to a higher part on this list

Let's let it be known that Gen 2 and it's remake is the best. No doubt about it! On the other hand I did not enjoy gen 3 and it's remake at all sadly. I'd also recommend playing Gen 4.

My favorites list would be something like:

Gen 2 redux(HeartGold/SoulSilver)
Gen 2(Gold/Silver/Crystal)
Gen 4(Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
Gen 1 Redux(FireRed/LeafGreen)
Gen 1(Red/Blue/Yellow)
Gen 6(X/Y)
Gen 3 redux(Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire
Gen 3(Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Everything else I haven't listed I've skipped. Looking forward to Gen 8. Hopefully I'll be able to add it to a higher part on this list
I mostly like Gen. 2 for the visuals. I love how the GBC colors pop out with contrast! But I also really like the cohesion of the Pokémon designs.

Gen 2 was.. My favorite part, because I didn't know others :(
When I started playing Pokemon, I became interested in another game. I mean Path of Exile, and later I not only bought but also started selling currency myself. I entered your forum because I have nostalgic memories and feel like retro, so I wonder which part to play :) It is widely known today how many people spend their days in front of computer screens. This phenomenon has already been noticed in ancient Egypt, when the first concept of poe orbs (known as poe currency) was created. From the dawn of time, humanity had to fight for survival, hunted mammoths and collected poe currency to earn. That is why many people are wondering what as a player of Path of Exile they can do so that their character simply goes through the map and eliminates all minnions. To get this effect I buy currency on Odealo https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile/currency

Last edited:
Gen 1 here. I remember buying Pokemon Blue off some kid in my class for 50p. This was back in... either 98 or 99. Probably 98. Man, that was the best deal I ever had. I played Gold all the way through as well, and some of either Ruby or Sapphire, but they didn't quite pique my interest as much as Blue did. I loved that game.

Yeah, Gen 2 Gold/Crystal was by far my favorite. Fond memories with Gen 1, and me being a little bean sprout youngin' and all, but Gen 2 really just resonated with me. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I never actually finished Heart Gold despite the previous being my favorite. I still have it though, maybe I'll boot it up real soon.

I guess I'm okayish with this list's order...?

Gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
Gen 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)
Gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)
Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
Gen 6 (X/Y)
Gen 1 Redux (FireRed/LeafGreen)
Gen 5 (Black / White / Black 2 / White 2)

I've played some of the others not listed but not enough where I wanted them on the list. I really tried with Sun/Moon but I think it was a bad time for me personally and I had a hard time investing into anything... so it just got shoved in a drawer in my nightstand. I also got Let's Go! because I got it at a good deal but I've been busy with other things and it also got tossed to the side. I feel like the world's laziest gamer, I swear.

Pokemon X & Y wasn't bad in my opinion (though I think I tend to really like games people don't find as likeable) I just happen to like the others a bit more than X & Y, if only for nostalgic reasons.

I think Pokemon Sword/Shield is the first Pokemon game in a long while that I'm actually looking forward to, so it'll be a pleasure hearing what some of you guys have to say about it when we all start playing.

I think I only ever played up to and including Diamond & Pearl; I've played bits of later generations, but not near enough to give an informed or fair opinion.

My list generally stays the same, but the top two interchange depending on what I'm looking to play the game for. Purely from a gaming point of view, my list would be:

- Pokemon Gold / Silver / Crystal
- Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow
- Pokemon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum
- Pokemon ORAS
- Pokemon Ruby / Emerald / Sapphire

(Pokemon Let's Go would also be in there but I've yet to finish it - I actually enjoy it, but I put it down and have yet to go back to it.)

As a standalone game, I have great fondness of Pokemon Gold (and later, Crystal), it has been a long time since I last played it but I thoroughly enjoyed the new generation of legendaries - particularly chasing the legendary dogs - and the day / night time changes. The storyline was also pretty solid as far as Pokemon games go.

However...

If Nintendo ever released previous titles on the Nintendo Switch e-Shop, I would gravitate towards Red/Blue every single time. As a 90s child, Pokemon was a huge part of my life (and most other kids' lives at that time) so nostalgia trumps the 'technical' advancements in Pokemon games. Whilst I don't think Red/Blue was as good a game as Gold/Silver, when every aspect is taken into account, there is a beauty in its simplicity that wouldn't be afforded in this era of gaming - catch, battle & raise. Period.

Back