Dissidia v Ehrgeiz

Your favorite way to kick butt as a Final Fantasy character?

• Dissidia

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Ehrgeiz

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Screw those, turn-based anyday!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Apolyonn

"We do away with your kind."
Gil
I hacked my PSP Saturday, cut open my battery to clip a thingy from a little black square, bricked it and installed the custom firmware, so I've been on a bit of a nostalgic kick. Today I was playing Ehrgeiz and thinking, wow, what a classic. So much better than the Dissidia demo I downloaded a month ago, that was installed, played and removed in a half-hour timeframe.

So with the upcoming release of the game (or the ongoing illegal downloads), I was wondering what everyone else thought. The classic, or the uprising.

As I said earlier, I'd much rather play Ehrgeiz. It's nothing extraordinary, but I think that's why I like it. I can run around as Sephiroth and cut people in half and be on my merry way to the next contestant. Dissidia...maybe there's more to it in the full version, but it was really boring from what I played of it. The only plus side is that you can play as Cecil, one of my favorite FF characters of all time. But other than that, it's a cute idea, just not very interesting at all. Sure, you can break the laws of physics, you can do the same friggin attack over and over, sometimes hitting, sometimes missing, sometimes not really caring because you realize that coffee is more important and set the PSP down, come back a couple of minutes later and you're still alive. It's flashy, but that's about all I can say for it. Not worth the space it ate on my memory stick.

CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Sadly, you only played the Demo. I haven't played the Demo (and from what I've read so far about the game - mostly bad) I don't ever want to play the demo. I've got the game, now, and I'm enjoying it a butt-load. Don't quite know what you're on about when you say that you could leave the game going, make something to drink, and come back to it to finish it off. Just goes to show that on the Demo, the opponent must've been very easy xD If you face off against Lvl 100 enemies, there's NO way you can do that, or take your eye off the screen, without being punished badly.

Hopefully your views will change when you play the actual game =)

Well, you played a demo. Try playing the full thing.
(also, I don't think you should be talking about modding your psp on the forums...?)

Well from what I have seen it's rather fun actually in the full version. Yes, the demo gets boring after a short while because the only thing you do is pick a character with fixed abilities they set for the mode and play with them, no scenes, levels, new abilities or something to buy from shops to look up to whoring the demo 24 hours.

What's wrong with modding the PSP, he bought the PSP aka it's his own they have nothing to do with him if he wants to do anything with it. :ness:

What's wrong with modding the PSP, he bought the PSP aka it's his own they have nothing to do with him if he wants to do anything with it. :ness:

Because most people do illegal things with a modded system.

Well.. -_- There's a good thing to Modding a PSP - that is that you can play PSX/PSOne games on it (the only reason I'd ever mod anything is to play old games that you can't buy anymore). Other than that, modding your PSP is your choice to download a game and play it. I wouldn't say it's REALLY bad to do it, but so long as less than 30% of the gaming population do it, the gaming industry will continue to prosper (hopefully).

These days, games are quite expensive. The reason being that people would rather download the games. But! People download the games because it is expensive -_- In other words, gamers have to go a small distance - not downloading for about a year - and then the games will go down in pricing. I mean, games are sold all over the world, which means that - if it's a good game - at least a million copies will be sold. That's easily $100M (NZ games are usually $100+) Games take time to make, and a lot of people to do it. People who need to be paid for their contribution to it. So, to continue to prosper, the gaming industry needs to make sales =| If people keep downloading, the prices will keep soaring until there won't be any new games at all.

Anyway, if you didn't read all that, I basically said that downloading games - or modding your PSP - only means that you don't support the manufacturing of games xD I know it's hard to pay for a game, but it's necessary :3

I guess it's about which style you like more?

There's a lot of elements to Dissidia. The gameplay has a lot of depth to it. With so many attacks and the different attack "types", amongst other things, it never feels like "the same continuous attacks", honestly. With that being said, there's quite a lot to it.

Ehrgeiz, on the other hand, was a simplistic, beat-down style game involving FF characters. It accomplished what it set out to do, in making a pure vs including FF favorites. Like you said, if you wanted to kick ass with Sephiroth on a whim, you could do that.

Two contrasting games, in my opinion. Which you prefer comes down to taste and what you're looking for.

The demo, I assume, would only have the Lvl 1 abilities for the characters you can use. You can't really create combos with a small list of abilities xD

I find making combos the most fun thing to do in fighting games. Sadly, the combos can get repetitive, and if people pick up on what you're doing, you're screwed xD

The attacks given in the demo are the same used for arcade mode :/ which is kinda skimpy. But I remember playing Ehrgeiz when I was around 12-13 years old and played it on my old Custom Firmware PSP as well. I Honestly beat Ehrgeiz in about 2 hours max, with all the characters unlocked. Not enough play time at all for me. And not to mention it wasn't a FF game, It just had FFVII characters in it. :( I like DFF character lineup, play style, storyline, and player compatibility much better. (between 2 ppl and 2 psps)

On the subject of hacking psps, I had a hacked psp and realized when I stoped buying games, I didnt appriciate them half as much as if I had bought them. But it is great to be able to play the FF classics on the go. And it is very illegal, weather you purches your psp or not, Its stated in sonys disclaimer on the updates for the system. :/

I've not played Dissidia yet but I am guessing that Dissidia will kick Ehrgeiz's ass for gameplay and everything else.

I own Ehrgeiz, and quite enjoy it sometimes, but it always left me dissapointed. There aren't many moves, and most are pretty lame like kick or shoot so you mastered every character within a few minutes.

Another problem was that Ehrgeiz only contained FF cameos, and they were all FF7 characters. Even out of the FF7 characters that they included a lot of them were sword slashers such as Cloud, Zack and Sephiroth.

They didn't even include Red XIII as a playable character, despite the alternate costume for the main boss Django being made to look like Red XIII, and also this characters moves being made to mimic Red XIII's also.

Dissidia has a much more pleasing cast of characters... I mean two characters from every FF game from I-X? And two extras, one from XI and one from XII? To be honest, for me, that is a dream come true. A pretty decent FF fighter is on its way. There are also meant to be lots of cameos for characters appearing as tutorial helpers, which will just help make the experience better.

Last edited:
Those tutorials are the boss of my life xD
That is how awesome they are =)

Really hope you enjoy the game, when you get it. It's not something you'll regret.

Back