Did Cloud ever go to school?

PaladinPie

Da ultimate grape eater of 3002!
Gil
The thing that I always ask myself is if Cloud ever went to school or a place where he could learn how to read, write etc.
What do you think?

;)

I presume that there was some sort of village school in Nibelheim that he and Tifa went to. No evidence for that, it's just one of those things that is left up to the imagination. I did have something of a mental block about writing fanfic for VII, because none of the main characters could have much of an education, and that made it kind of problematic for me to write from their perspective. That's overthinking, probably, but there you go.

I am sure he did but its just one of those things left up in the air. Although I bet to get into SOLDIER you have to learn how to read and write just for like a written exam.

If he didn't get an education in Nibelheim, he probably got some sort of training during his stint in the military (I think it depends on how you're defining "school" as well, as a person can be "schooled" in many disciplines). Whether he was home schooled or went to a private/public school in his hometown, he obviously had to learn how to read and write. That's one piece of evidence of his educational training. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't have been admitted to the military.

No. He did not and most of the FFVII characters didnt either. They dont have schools. In VIII on the other hand its not the same case. I'm sure he had some form of education but I do not think there were public schools in the world of FFVII,

I assumed that any Final Fantasy character would have been taught all they know from their parents/grandparents/whoever raised them. I mean, it would be kind of strange for a public school to have been used under the circumstances of a Final Fantasy story. Sure, in Nibelheim there could have been schools, but it just seems more logical that the parents taught them, kind of like homeschooling. And when you go to Nibelheim in Crisis Core for example (haven't finished the original FF7, that's why I'm using CC as an example), you don't visit a school or hear Cloud say, "Hey, that's my old school." In a town like Nibelheim, you'd probably notice a school.

Cloud probably had a bit of an education given to him when he was working with Shin-ra. I mean, most of the Turks are pretty smart, so I guess the company doesn't want stupid employees.

As for the Cloud`s childhood...no, i dont think he went to any kind of school cause there arent any in FF VII world...
Kids ussually spend their childhood playing with other kids...I believe they learn some basic things like writting, reading etc. from their parents...
There arent any jobs that require school, or any level of education because almost any job there is private and family...weapon selling, chocobo breeding, farmer and stuff like that...

It's just one of those things that is a given, though I admit it was rather odd how he went off to the military when he was only 14. We can assume their education system works insanely fast or is just different.

Suspension of disbelief anyone?

Never thought about it. But I guess he probably went to school with Tifa in Nibelheim. If not, SOLDIER perhaps gave him an education. But school with Tifa seems more realistic lol. We'll never know.

It was never revealed because I doubt people ever needed to go that far back into his past, it's just one of those things that allows people to make up whatever they want. However, like already mentioned, there was probably a village school in Nibelheim and you get educated in the forces anyway so he probably received some sort of education when he joined SOLDIER.

This raises a question of whether any Final Fantasy protagonist has attended school. I know in FFVIII, Balamb Garden could very well have had a broad curriculum for Squall and co. Seeing as though I haven't touched FFVIII for a long time, I could be making this up- but they have classrooms with purposes.

Cloud could have attended an inconspicuous Nibelheim school, or was schooled by Shinra. But consider whether other FF protagonists have been educated. Zidane? Tidus? Vaan?

Rofl. :wacky:

This made me laugh.

:hmmm: I've always thought of the FFVII setting to be the kind of people with home-schooling. Like there is one building in town, with old people that teach the kids the things they need to know in life.. xD

I personally thing they just got to know their basics from their parents, and maybe town school-teachers. :hmmm: Infact, that sounds rather logical to me.

Also, Cloud went to Midgar, so probably got taught some things with Shinra.

Well Im not sure anout this but he probably went to school with Tifa in Nibelheim because Tifa seems to know him in crisis core when she sends you emails. Anyway or im sure Cissnei and the other turks taught him shit in before crisis. Idk really and we will never know.

He probably went, and he probably started ditching when he developed his "I don't give a" attitude. Unless Tifa was there, in which case, you couldn't keep that guy out of class!

He probably went, and he probably started ditching when he developed his "I don't give a" attitude. Unless Tifa was there, in which case, you couldn't keep that guy out of class!

:wacky:

Hm, yeah, I honestly believe they were just taught in their hometown. Home-schooled, or just being taught the things they had to know by the town's "elder" or something. "Pops" as they mentioned in the game I think...

God, I need to hurry up with re-playing.

I'm with Kira on this. I always thought, not just with VII, but with a majority of FF, that everyone was home-schooled or something.

But, they really don't care to explain even how they manage to not go to the bathroom and such. They probably looked at it as a minor detail. XD

I find it strange that some of the people in this thread believe the characters in this game went to a form of public school. It's pretty obvious that towns did not relegate education in this game. If they did there would have been a school in Nibleheim when you went there.

But was it all that necessary to the epic storyline being constructed just for our awe and entertainment? To think of all the complex braids and world-development that went into this game, into any of the games! I know what it's like, I've done it before -- you practically have to keep track of countless points of small but important things and if you alter one in the slightest all the rest are thrown off the track. It's like trying to juggle claymores while using chopsticks.
Dithering over the where the characters were educated seems inconsequential in comparison.

And might I add just one LITTLE note? In the 2nd flashback scene, in the lifestream, Tifa did mention something about Cloud 'always getting into fights in school' did she not? There. Proof they went to school!

*feels vindicated*

I think schooling exists. Seeing how Barret is saving up money for Marlene's schooling. But I think it's not necessary like it is today in real life, ya know?

I think Cloud got some kind of education, I mean, he knows how to read and write. His speech and train of thought doesn't say "I gots no education." He's actually very deep once you get passed the image of him.

I think it's most likely that he got an education when he was in Soldier. Wasn't he there from the age of 13 to 16 or something like that? That's technically a Military school and they still teach kids in Military school. So Cloud would still get an education of some kind.

Besides, just because we never saw a school in any of the towns doesn't mean there wasn't a school. Just means making a school building wasn't important... Like, at all.

Dragon Mage, she says;
"When you were little you used to get into fights at the drop of
a hat."

Back