Will: 1

These are Paladin Cecil's stats at Level 70, with crystal equipment:

Str: 99
Agil: 41
Vit: 85
Wis: 36
Will: 68

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588330/11495

Actual stats may vary a little depending on your version, but no matter what version you have, Paladin Cecils stats far surpass Dark Knight Cecil's.

Paladin Cecil also has a much greater range of weapons and armour than Dark Knight Cecil, who has pathetically weak equipment in comparison. If you used a cheat device to allow you to use Dark Knight Cecil all the way through the game, you'd find that not even the auto-KO ability of his Deathbringer makes up for his shortcomings.

Dark Wave is no substitute for Cure, Cura, Esuna and Teleport. Esuna is Cecil's most useful ability aside from attack, as if he can cast it, Rosa doesn't have to, and his Esuna isn't weakened by his low Magic stat.

Incidentally, does anyone have the stats for a naked Lv70 Cecil for the original Japanese version of FFIV on the SNES?

Last edited:
I like him more as a Paladin just because he can use white magic and he has a ton more HP. He has more hp at level one has a paladin then he does at level 30 as a dark knight when you change into the paladin. I did like the dark attack but I sometimes used it too much and ended up in a bad situation.

Gotta say Paladin. Yeah, the Dark Knight thing is cool for a while, but it gets boring fast, since it's all so focused on "Man, I'm suck a dick for being a Dark Knight." Plus, Heal and Cure2 (or I guess they're calling it "Cura" now) are a lot more handy than Dark Wave.

i like paladin in almost every way

also it was funny when i first played through ff4 and nearly died when facing dark cecil until i unequipped my weapons and armor thinking 'just kill me now' and then i won and then i thought so thats how you do it and then thought i was dumb for not noticing before:cool:

i prefer Cecil as a paladin, he is more powerful and more useful. Plus he doesn't have to sacrifice his HP to do his special attack

i was wondering- do you think when cecil was a Dark Knight- was that -maybe- better than the Paladin he eventually turns into?:confused:

I liked it when he was a Dark Knight and strong, However when he became a Paladin he had white magic next to his strength and that's what I liked about it, but still I think Cecil is a little cooler when he was a Dark Knight

i was wondering- do you think when cecil was a Dark Knight- was that -maybe- better than the Paladin he eventually turns into?:confused:
Yeah, I kind of think that Dark Knight was better- the new magic was really great, but I'd really gotten used to the Dark Knight form- it also kind of looked cooler, too! (imo)

Plot-wise, Dark Knight Cecil had more depth, what with redemption and all that. Paladin Cecil was just a hero.

Battle wise you never see much of Dark Knight. He had a risky but rewarding ability. If you could choose between either end game, I think Dark Knight would've been better.

~Threads Merged~

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you prefer Cecil as a dark knight or a paladin?

While I liked his abilities as a dark knight, especially "dark" when you would come up against a bunch of weaker enemies it would be a quick kill, I'd have to go with paladin. It was nice to have him be able to cure when you didn't have Rosa part of your party. I also used his esuna so I wouldn't be wasting Rosa's mp. Also, this will sound shallow, but I think he was cuter as a paladin because you can see his face in the menu.

I liked Cecil as a Dark Knight better, I didn't mind his transcendance into a Paladin, in fact I thought Cecil vs Dark Knight was cleverly done, since he killed himself using Dark XD.

But yeah i agree the convienance of having an extra healer in your party was priceless.

Cecil was awesome as a Dark Knight! I think he was better off a dark knight than a paladin.

i liked him better as a paladin, mainly because he can heal others, which was a big help. that, and occasionally when you defend a lot you ignore all damage at you and launch a counter attack at all of the enemies.

I loved the way this game had two contrasting personas for the main character. I thought the transition scene and battle against his former self was well done too.

I'll agree with just about everyone and say the Paladin was better in terms of battle since he had healing abilities. Cecil was cool as a Dark Knight while it lasted, but I welcomed the extra Cure spells in the end :)

I'd pick Cecil as a dark night because he looked cooler and more bad-ass.

MOD EDIT

Please put more effort into your post. What about Cecil's Dark Knight personality did you find to me more coll and bad-ass?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know before I said dark knight (Long story) but now I'm leaning towards the paladin.

The white magic was a godsend later in the game, against some of the harder bosses :P

Back