Bugenhagen?

Cardinal Copia

Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Prenneaux Grauhemoix
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Alright when you first go to Cosmo Canyon and you see Bugenhagen and he tells you about the planet and he can hear the screams of the planet does that mean he is an ancient? Or is this different from Aeris/Aerith being able to talk to the planet?

Just wondering about this because I wasnt sure.

Actually, you've just reminded me that I have no idea what Bugenhagen actually is. He floats like Baba from Dragonball Z - he has no legs but still acts like a human.

I suppose it's possible that he could be an Ancient ... but then Aerith didn't act like that. :wacky:

I don't recall it ever being stated Bugenhagen was an Ancient - if he was, he'd presumably have been able to decipher the scripture in the Forgotten City.

We know that those within Cosmo Canyon have a deep love for the planet and have studied it, along with other stars, for [we can guess] hundreds or more of years. With that in mind, Bugenhagen could have taken his level of understanding to higher peaks than the others... don't know how though.

Thousands of years ago, before the events of the game, human beings were connected and lived a Planet revering life style. All humans could hear the Planet and thus communicate with it. Eventually people starting moving away from revering, caring for the Planet and adopted an easier way of life. Those who retained the planet revering life style were Aerith's ancestors, otherwise known to people as the Cetra. Those who adopted easier lifes and lost that connection, with the planet, would be just regular joes - you and I. It's not that they aren't able to hear the planet, they simply don't listen! It's not a matter of different species, race, what have you. Aerith, Bugenhagen, are human beings - they are known as ' Cetra ' because of their way of life.

Anyway, you will notice, at certain times of the game - Cloud was able to hear the cry of the planet. In Bugenhagen's observatory he hears it, at one point. It's all about the connection, you make, with the Planet. Those who live at Cosmo Canyon lead such a lifestyle and of course, they'd be able to hear the voice of the planet - because of that connection! I have no idea if any of this makes sense. Lol. I'm soo sorry if it doesn't. I just typed out what came up in my mind. ;)

I wouldn't worry - it made perfect sense. In fact, it's more than plausible and I really can't see any other alternative to explain Bugenhagen.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this theory, 100%.

thanks alot, that cleared it up for me. and yes I do remember Cloud being able to hear the crying of the planet. your explanation did make sense, thanks to those who helped:)

Is it ever stated that he has no legs? o_O The floating COULD come about through some sort of meditation? Will there ever be a right answer?>_<

There is definately something odd about Bugenhagen. I always imagined him with his legs crossed levitating above the ground, rather than having no legs. As to what he is, I am unsure, but he was incredibly old, so not your average human.

He was always one of my favourite Final Fantasy VII characters for some reason.

Last edited:
I always thought he looked like a weeble, with a round bottom so he wouldn't fall over, but he could be meditating in a yoga like stylee

I always interpreted him to be a sort of foil to Hojo - a scientific genius who was more invested in giving back to the Planet for the sake of all stakeholders.

As for hearing the Planet's screams, I pin it on the observatory; it seems like his observatory machine is not just a model but can accurately depict universal events in real-time (like the comet in the FMV). With further fanwanking, one could say that since he built the observatory in order to observe the Planet, it is able to pick up on normally undetectable signals as the Planet screaming (i.e. the screams are essentially sets of data that can't be picked up without proper equipment).

About his legs… I've wondered the same thing myself. I always guessed that since he was so old, and such a great scientist, that he built himself a sort of hover-craft.

With further fanwanking, one could say that since he built the observatory in order to observe the Planet, it is able to pick up on normally undetectable signals as the Planet screaming (i.e. the screams are essentially sets of data that can't be picked up without proper equipment).

I seem to remember a scene where they hear the screams on the Highwind also. So I'm not sure about it being the machinery of the observatory, but perhaps once their ears had been opened to the planet that then they could hear it.

I seem to remember a scene where they hear the screams on the Highwind also. So I'm not sure about it being the machinery of the observatory, but perhaps once their ears had been opened to the planet that then they could hear it.

That's true. The way I took it is that the Planet's screams are usually inaudible without certain amplifiers such as the observatory. But when they hear it on the Highwind, the Planet had been damaged to such a point that its screams began to emit at a frequency audible to the unaided ear (ie. the Planet started screaming "louder" so to speak).

I feel like it wouldn't make sense for Planet screams to be audible in general because there is the implication that the Planet has been constantly screaming throughout the entire crisis - and it only is audible to the naked ear during that breaking point.

Alright when you first go to Cosmo Canyon and you see Bugenhagen and he tells you about the planet and he can hear the screams of the planet does that mean he is an ancient? Or is this different from Aeris/Aerith being able to talk to the planet?

Just wondering about this because I wasnt sure.

He isn't an ancient. His a person taht cares for the planet... a Cetra... then again the Cetra remind me of hippies.

Bugenhagen has been around a long time and probaly knows more than most people on the planet. it's odd that he floats though, and it's kinda funny:)

Back