Are we too sanitary?

Get the stomach flu(gastroenteritis) one time in your life and it'll bring new meaning to being "too sanitary" after you recover from it.

But to save you the trouble: No such thing. Wash them hands, every freaking chance you get.

My immune system is complete shit so I have to be more careful about being and making sure things are clean, more so than most people. For whatever reason I've become more susceptible to catching illnesses and bugs more than I have in the past :(

I've been trying to not be so OCD about it, but I do walk around with those little Bath and Body Works scented hand sanitizers so I can use the stuff after getting out of the grocery store (those grocery carts are full of nasty germs like C. Diff and viruses. I always cringe when I see people eating free samples of food at the grocery stores because of this >_<) or putting gas in my car. Sometimes I use it in between going out shopping or something too. I ALWAYS wash my hands before eating anything and I always try to make sure I can use a fork and knife for whatever it is I'm eating so I don't have to touch my food so much. I'll wash my hands when I come home from somewhere and I always wash my hands after using the restroom or taking out the garbage.

I'm sure people probably think all of this is "too sanitary" but I've got to be more careful than most people :lew: Being a nurse doesn't help either. When you are home you wash your hands constantly like you are programmed to at work. When you've seen what some of these germs do to people and are exposed to the crap they are, you get a little more paranoid of it as well :(

I'll admit that I usually don't wash my hands unless I'm cooking, or if I'm around other people. I use the bathroom like 2379848625 times a day and do not wash my hands after every poo. This is only true when I'm at home though. If I'm in the kitchen or if I'll be shaking hands and sticking my fingers in someone else's nose, then...being sanitary is just polite. You know, at work, wash your hands after you poo...it's just good manners.

I eat a lot of stuff halfway raw. I eat raw eggs, I eat bloody meat...and I can't remember the last time I was sick, even with a sniffle. I don't take antibiotics, over the counter drugs, etc...

I rarely wash my hands before eating and I never share food, so there's no need to be polite about eating my own food.

I'm also one of those people who has a tendancy of sticking my hands all over my face. o_O

I forgot...I don't use chemical cleaners. I clean my countertops and whatnot with baking soda, castile soap, lemon juice, and vinegar.

being TOO clean is why so many people have stuff like Asthma and so many allergies. :mokken:

We are far too sanitary. We need to go back to the days when people used to shit in the streets, the days of the plague, Cholera, Typhoid etc.

No, but overmedication and excessive usage of antibiotics in all facets of life (including the stuff some people butcher and eat) is a problem

I've seen some people who go to hotels and have to have the sheets washed and everything wiped down by themselves personally.

I do think about the fact that other people have slept in the hotel bed I'm about to sleep in, but not to the extent that I need to go that extreme.

They say if you wash the bedding more often (the maids change them to clean ones anyways) that you're more likely to get bedbugs because they're more attracted to cleanliness. ;))

Yes, yes we are too sanitary :mokken:

It's actually bad if you're that extremely sanitary because once you do catch something, you're more likely to get sicker [than said person who isn't as sanitary] because your body wasn't able to develop a natural immunization for said bacteria/virus. When you get a shot it's a dead or weaker form of that specific shot you're getting. That's why the nurses/ doctors that preform it might tell you that you could feel weak/sick because your body has to fight it in order to build its defense against it. Bacteria are every fucking where. You typing on your computer there's millions upon billions of them little creatures on there. Fun Fact: It's dirtier than a toilet seat ;) Anyway point being, its bad to be over sanitary.

Me personally, I'm always making sure my hands are clean. I wash them after using the bathroom, going shopping, before I eat, after I eat, or if I haven't washed them in a few hours I'll go ahead and do it. I can't stand having hands that aren't clean. I credit this as to why I'm hardly ever sick. That and the fact that I take a vitamin everyday. Am I overboard? Maybe. I don't care though. It's a habit that I refuse to change :reptar:

Yes, but people are often sanitary at the wrong times or places. An example is that for all the places you would expect to be sanitized, hospitals are never sanitary. Go figure.

Back