Am I the only one that thinks older retro games are far better than the games they put out today?

Del Boy

ShinRa Guard
Gil
Title..

I've been gaming since I was about 5 right up to now (23), and I have to say that the games I played on consoles like the ps1, ps2, gamecube were alot better than the trash I see released today! Dont get me wrong the games put out today are obviously graphically superior but honestly I cant remember the last time I played a decent new release! It seems like developers are running out of ideas for games, you really cant beat the oldies like starfox adventures on the gc and the old splinter cell games! even the old halo games were better! and of-course the old FF games were much better than the ones put out today, I guess it goes to show graphics really are nothing. I dunno just my opinion, would love to hear others thoughts.

I SADLY have to agree...

I'm GLAD they have older games for download on newer consoles, AND free ones on the computer.

I have no idea what it was about the older games, but they captivate me more than the newer ones... And it's NOT because I grew up with the older games. (I had not played Ocarina of Time until they had it for download on the Wii, and I LOVED it!)

I think a big problem is that a lot of game developers are just making games for money and it seems like they don't give a shit if we enjoy them or not.

There's a REASON Nintendo remakes their older games over and over. Because they want each new generation to enjoy what we did, but in a new way. (at least I LIKE to think that)

I've only been saying this for four years. Most older games are way better than todays pool of games. Though I believe WWE13 is the greatest wrestling game ever. It's my favorite game of the current generation.

Many other favorites are ps1, ps2, and N64 games. It just feels like more heart was put into them. It wasn't about the shiny graphics. It was about telling a story with what you had. FFIX is my favorite video game ever, and I got more emotional from pixels and text telling the story, than smoother graphics and voices in FFXII. It was a simpler time. Now most new games are about graphics and online.

I think that those of us that are... maybe 18 or 19 and older.. maybe 16... all of us that grew up with Sega, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PS1 and so on are a little biased on this point. We have this idea of how games were and should be from way back when.

I think we should ask the younger kids... those that's first system was the ps3 or Xbox even, maybe the tail end of the PS2 and see what they say.

In my opinion, my favorite games were on PS1, Snes, and Sega, and a few on the PS2. but really those were the games I grew up with and loved.

You are right about that TC honestly today games have lost that spark that made them awesome i can easily play an old game and enjoy it for hours but today games i have a hard time, i think the reason is because now developers have to take in account other peoples tastes rather than being creative and make their own games.

This generation suck balls, series like FF, RE, Silent Hill, has been killed thats why i hate this gen.

No you're not the only one. I cherish my older games, especially Suikoden II and Suikoden V.

We all feel this way because back then, games were developed a lot more thoroughly and had tons of depth. There also wasn't any catering to a particular "gamer type".
There's a REASON Nintendo remakes their older games over and over. Because they want each new generation to enjoy what we did, but in a new way. (at least I LIKE to think that)

I think you maybe right. I previously hadn't thought of it like that. My long term feelings about mario rehashes were "how many times are they going to make Super Mario World?". All the while I'm still looking for a *real* sequel to Mario 64.

Depends on what you call retro. Many people who are older would say that the NES/SNES era were the retro period and not the late 90's forward. Or even further than that, in the Atari age. Video games have only been around for about ~40 years or so. Huge sweeping statements like 'all of today's games suck compared to the past' reek of nostalgia and bias. It also ignores the indie market, many developers of which have released retro-style games.

I agree, entirely. My favorite game of all-time is Breath of Fire. The first one, for the Super Nintendo. Also, companies back then didn't have the genius idea of making used games useless. I'm looking at you, Sony.

What the gamers today didn't experienced is the rewarding achievement on the effort by finishing a NES/SNES. An emotional attachment to SNES/PS1/PS2 characters. And most of all, what makes them enjoyable is the simplicity of the gameplay. Learning curve won't be that steep compared in today's complicated games.

I tend to enjoy retro games more than the newer games. Yeah there were some terrible games for the NES, SNES and PS1, but the good games were just awesome. I can find myself playing a good older game for hours and hours. There are some good newer games. Dragon age comes to mind. But so many, and even those that get 9 or 10 ratings tend to bore me after a while. Maybe I'm outgrowing gaming? I like zombie games though. The most fun I recently had playing a newer game was the ghost game on of all things, Nintendo Land. And sadly, I have become addicted to a few facebook games.

I disagree entirely. Big budget games are about the same quality they have always been in my opinion. There's a lot of rubbish and a few treasures. What really sets today's games apart from those of yester year, is the indie scene. due to digital distribution, there is so much interesting stuff being released, which wouldn't have seen the light of the day 10 or 20 years ago. I think most people tend to prefer old school games solely because all the shit tends to disappear in the mists of nostalgia.

Depends on what you were brought up with I suppose and your age.
I enjoy older games, I love sega games and PSOne was one of my favourite consoles. But I think games are just as good now as they were back then. Gaming companies are making games for what's popular right now and that's shooters. I don't like shooters so I don't really enjoy a lot of the newer games coming out but that doesn't mean they aren't any good. If you go back and play a few of the games you loved as a kid you'd probably find they weren't as good as you thought they were anyway. Plus graphics aren't all that matters but it's pretty hard going from a nice HD game to a 16bit game haha.

i did not used to think so a few years ago but then i started playing them. in the end i thank my sister because she keeps all her old games and consoles and lets me play them. graphics are good but when that is all a game is about then it is just boring. i like how older games are more about exploring and finding things out yourself. new games have built in google. they tell you where to go and what to do and what you have to do sometimes seems so easy and its sad when it is.

my sister stopped playing world of warcraft for that reason. she thinks the reason games now days have arrows pointing you here and there is because gamers have been coming lazy :x i have more fun with older games. games way older then me even >< they are hard and have mysterious to them. you actually have to think to play them

the only new game i have that does not hold my hand when i play is actually FF 12 :x

No you're not. In fact, lots of people have the very same opinion. It's the same with music as well, look at music videos on youtube from older bands and you'll inevitably find comments of people talking about how music from the past is "real music" and that the mainstream sucks blah blah blah.

I think games are about the same as they were to be honest. They've changed a lot but each generation will have gems whilst all the crap gets forgotten. Also, when you grow up with certain things, there's a lot of nostalgia attached as well which makes people think that back in the day everything was amazing but I can certainly remember playing lots of shitty games on my PS1 and PS2.

Back