Adelbert Steiner - what a guy

That guy?
Well, he's THE worst dressed in the FF history but that's okay
He's a great fighter, him and Vivi with the Magic Sword was amazing.
But I have to admit, his over protection of Dagger really got me annoyed sometimes.
I know that, that was his job and everything but man, lighten up. But then again, IO don't think there was anyone more loyal to his duty than him...okay it's official I'm proud of him T.T
The game would'nt have been the same without him, this I believe. ^^

No, No, and more No! Steiner annoyed me to no end. I never really had him in my group at all either. =/.

He whined and complained and just was too much of a pain, IMO. I used Freya, Vivi, Zidane, and Amarant.

Bothersome, he was.

Lol@That

Steiner's the man. He's an honest guy. (I thought honesty was an admirable virtue.) He's a goody two shoes which evens out everyone elses desire to constantly go against the rules and he's powerful in battle. He's got Beatrix' moves. If you don't think Steiner's useful in battle, you must have hated playing with Beatrix. (I, however, loved it. Felt like cheating, all I did was climhazzard and stock break to everyone with her. Feel's good being on the other side of those highly devastating, life ruining, world shattering attacks.)

what made steiner such a good character can be summed up in two words: character development.

i know most every character develops in the span of these games, but his relationship with zidane in particular is what made him, imo, a vivid (as opposed to one dimensional) character. i do also think he brought ALOT of comic relief without being over the top or extremely annoying (i.e. jar jar binks). again, in my opinion :cool:

Personality wise I don't like Steiner much, but his attacks, especially Shock, keep him in my team at all times. Without Steiner FFIX wouldn't be as good. I'm glad he becomes less of a stuck-up twat as the game goes on. He goes from hating Zidane to following him blindly.

I liked having Steiner around, no matter how much of a nuisance he can be some parts of the game. He was determined and stubborn but he had a pure heart for his kingdom.

Since they're both similar discussions, I will merge the threads together.

-Threads Merged-

Lol it's funny how people's opinions on Steiner seems to differ after time.

Jean Grey said:
Steiner?? Oh God he has to be the most annoying character in the history Of FF Ever!! (except maybe Cait Sith or Rinoa - actually make that the whole cast of FFVIII Oh AN dquin) I Hate the wya hes so protective of Garnet and evben though he majorly Pwns in battle i wish hed just shut up (mind you i also wish quina rinoa and cait sith were dead)

Jean Grey said:
I liked Steiner, he was great in battle and his character really develops. First you see how he ignorantly follows the Queen, and then his whole world just shatters. He transformed from being annoying and whiny to pretty cool. He's always in my final party too ^^

:wacky:

I still stick to what I've said so long ago now...

Mitsuki said:
Ahh, Steiner. That guy wasn't really annoying for me, I guess. I didn't particularly dislike him or like him...I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to him? o.o' To me he was just a loyal knight tagging along on a journey.

Although I could've swear I stated somewhere that I find him annoying. xD I can't seem to make up my mind about this guy.

Steiner was a really funny character I thought. He was always being thrown into situations he did not want to be in, and it was entertaining watching him try to find a way out of them. I never found him annoying because annoying to me is a character like.. say.. Rikku >_> Steiner was just pure lulz xD

So yes, I do like him. He's one of my favorite characters in nine.

Steiner never annoyed me, if anything he made me laugh. Specially when he comments on his weight lol. Fair enough shouting "PRINCESS!!!" was a tad bit frustrating. But still, the guy was there when you needed him.

He was pretty cool, I like his relationship with Vivi, it was funny because he listened to everything 'Master Vivi' said, and wanted to protect him and stuff. Its also great how him and Zidane didn't get on for most of the game, and they would throw insults at each other, which brings me to the recurring joke about Steiner's armour, that it was rusty and dirty. I think Zidane first mentioned it, but I remember that some non important NPCs also mock his rusty armour, which made him rage. I think its mentioned in some of the funnier active time events.

Well, at the beginning I used to hate him too much because of his over protection on Dagger.

Then, when the party members distance themselves I kinda miss him (and Dagger as well). Never thought to say this, but I wish they never distanced from each others. Maybe that's the lack in the game. Producers rather that way, so... (Hmm, my mind it's begging for another replay LOL)

I Find Steiner Funny cuz if he wasn't in FFIX it won't be that fun to Play. In the Begining He fly like a jet n crash it at the building.

Steiner is not annoying for me.
he's funny because of what he's doing, and inspite of his being like a crazy dog.
he is strong at the battlefield. (if you chose to train him well)

Steiner provided good comic relief through his interactions with the rest of the group (particularly Zidane). He was the straight-laced conservative chucked into a world of shenanigans :wacky:

Last edited:
I loved Steiner! You know he had nothing but good intentions, but he just wasn't sure how to go about that. I think he got his act together by the end of the game, though. ^_^ Not to mention he was a total arse-kicker in battle.

For a strong knight, he looks kinda lame. Weird face and he is fat, what the heck kind of knight. But he is strong in battle and i like his interaction with zidane.

For a strong knight, he looks kinda lame. Weird face and he is fat, what the heck kind of knight. But he is strong in battle and i like his interaction with zidane.
I always imagined that without all the bulky, "rusty" :P armor, he wouldn't be quite so fat. But I think the whole roly-poly-ness of him adds to his bumbling charm. ^_^

After my second playthrough, I decided he STILL did my head in, til I got to Memoria, perhaps a little earlier when he finally stopped being such an arse, when he could actully speak to Zidane without being a wanker

There was a comment Zidane made about him liking Beatrix and Steiner said something similar about his feelings towards Garnet and I cant remember what it was, it still made me go aww though and I think that's when I finally started to like him xD

Plus his Shock was epic, even though I STILL think he looks stupid xD

Really one funny guy. Gave the most comic relief to the game.

And my favourite melee character, plus, he has Beatrix's abilities too! All the better, I think!

I agree with the person who commented on the "comic relief" that Steiner provides. He was constantly cracking me up and in the end I learned to love the fool. He, Zorn and Thorn should have teamed up and performed a comedy routine in Final Fantasy IX-2. Comedy gold!

Back