Does ANYBODY else like Vaan?

Tucker

I'm a Lover, not a Fighter!
Veteran
Gil
I like him ^_^
But EVERYBODY else hates him. It's so sad :cry:

He may have not had an impact on the story, but I still liked him. He was an ordinary guy who somehow had the same sword skill as Basch
:wacky:

Sorry Mar, but no. Nobody likes Vaan. The voice, the outfit, his unimportance to the story, and Final Fantasy failed when creating his hair.

I didn't mind Vaan at first. Then I realised what a useless character he was and how little he contributed to anything.

I guess he's a nice guy with a nice personality and he's not ugly, but he doesn't really have a point and his nice personality doesn't have any other substance to it.

He didn't fit very well into that world, maybe if he was in another game or something where he fit people would like him more

In terms of XII, I'm not really a Vaan fan. I won't go as far as to say that I hate him, because I don't. But, there were times he got on my nerves.

However, I enjoy playing as him in Dissidia 012. He's actually quite enjoyable.

Hey, at least his voice actor didn't quite make me want to throw something heavy at the TV screen, not that it was by any means stellar at all. And the part where he goes around Bhujerba yelling things like "I'M BASCH VON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA!" and "DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES!" was amusing for about 10 minutes. :olivia:

I suppose the one good thing about Vaan is that he is easier to relate to than the rather distant Ashe whose personality isn't to everyone's taste. Then again, if you're thrown into a game where you're suddenly finding yourself at the mercy of two empires possibly going into war against each other with some politics let loose, you may want the rather bewildered Vaan to relate to at times. Then again, considering Reks seemed a far more apt protagonist than Vaan was, it's a bit of a shame.

Well it's not the fact that I hated Vaan, it's more of the fact that I don't think he shoulda been the main character, if anything I found him a bit too childish for a 17 year old (think he was 17) Penelo acted more like an adult than him.

But if they wanted him to act like a 11 year old then they should of made him one, FF games had kids in the past dk why they didn't now.

He is the worst character in the history of time, he has absolutely nothing going for him at all. His design is awful, he looks like a weird rent boy that doesn't quite know how to dress himself. His personality is grating and pointless, he expects other people to help him become a Sky Pirate simply by tagging along. He has no real relevance to the story at all, not even to push the plot along. I can't tell who I hate more, him or Ashe

i don't have a problem with Vaan. People say his annoying because he is obnoxious, he is supposed to be obnoxious at times. I honestly think he is there so that you cant take the game seriously because in the end, its just a game and not meant to be taken so seriously that you end up having opinions towards the characters like their real people, and he does have involvement in the story pretty much the same as ashe, he wants to get revenge on the empire. He also admits the fact that he always talks about being a sky pirate because it helps takes his mind off his brothers death. another thing is that just because you start out as him doesn't mean he is the main character. all that aside he makes a pretty decent secondary tank if he is teamed up with basch in battle.

i'll say this much. If SE had given the option of changing who appears on-screen in towns, there would be FAR less complaints.

You didn't really give a sound reason as to why you like him. Personally, I don't like him nor a dislike him. That's the problem, he's just there. It's distracting how fools maimed the story with that is, a market appeal. I hate it when they do this to art. If he wasn't written in there in the first place, don't fucking put him in there. And if the Japanese had such a hard time tolerating a character that actually looks like a real person (Basch) they could have pulled a Neir and gave the original protagonist to the west and this fake poster boy to the Japs.

*prepares for possible negreps*

*raises hand*

Oo oh! I like Vaan. Not for his personality, or character, but moreso his outfit(yes I likey Vaan's mini-vest), and his Quickenings. I quite like his voice too. owo I think it's not the best, but definitely not the worse. *coughcoughHopesvoiceishorriblecoughcough*

I didn't really like his character development...actually, I don't think there was any. :hmmm:

Anywhoo, aside all the many, many faults in his character, Vaan is pretty chill. :busta:

I have to agree with you Marlena, I recently re-purchased PS2 and bought FFXII cause I had never played it and my mates all said that Vaan is an awful character and well for me I think he is alright. I have no problems with him or his voice actor what so ever. However I believe the worst FF character of all time goes to Vanille from FFXIII *deep sigh*

I don't like neither dislike Vaan. I just feel that he doesn't fit in the party. He's annoying and whiny and hopes to become a sky pirate just by tagging along. He was just lucky that Balthier had left him the Strahl, only to get it back after a year. I would rather have Balthier as a main protagonist: he's a sky pirate, he's LOOKING for treasures, he'd be handy for Ashe in her quest to find the deifacted nethicite shards.

Just my opinion.

I don't like him mostly because he is like they added him before the final relase.... I think Basch or Balthier would be a better main (male) protagonists and I think they should have made Ashe to the position of Vaan...the story is all about her...and Vaan(who is the main) doesn't really fit in to the story also if the game would have the option to see your leader character in-towns it would make everything better..to me it is weird to see Vaan in the towns while he is not even in my party [my party: Fran,Ashe,Balthier]

sorry but vann an no no for me.... he sounds gay.. looks gay and he even acts like he gay sometimes... soo the final result from all this... VANN GAY there i said it :hmph: i just didn't see vann as a main character in FFXII... it didn't help that i didn't like FFXII at all.... he even shows his body to the world... only girl ff xharacters are meant to do that... does that mean vann a girl :grin:

but square managed to fix him in dissidia... yh he still showed his body like a girl.. but u can fix that with his thrid costume XD he sounded better, looked better that he acted better... soo dissidia vann epic win.. FFXII Vann = Epic :fail:

Vaan is a boring character, but he isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He isn't whiny, and he isn't a pussy. I never heard him whine to another character, and he is completely brave all the time, people make him out to be something he just isn't.

I like Vaan. I found his voice attractive (not gonna lie) and somehow he was able to pull off his outfit. I found his relation to Penelo both cute and refreshing. I do wish there was more character development, but none of the characters in 12 had any. So you really can't complain about that.

People are kinda missing the point of Vaan as a character tbh.

In a war between Empires that's quite honestly bigger than him, he plays the role of the eyes for the player. He isn't super powered, there's nothing special about him, he's there for us to have an outside look of things while Basch, Asche, and Balthier (All who had a good amount of character development) do what they have to do.

Since this kind of literary tactic hasn't really been used in an FF game I can see why it catches people off guard but the flack he gets is a bit much.

(Oh, it also helps his case that he's the best character in the game stat wise)

sorry but vann an no no for me.... he sounds gay.. looks gay and he even acts like he gay sometimes... soo the final result from all this... VANN GAY there i said it :hmph: i just didn't see vann as a main character in FFXII... it didn't help that i didn't like FFXII at all.... he even shows his body to the world... only girl ff xharacters are meant to do that... does that mean vann a girl :grin:

but square managed to fix him in dissidia... yh he still showed his body like a girl.. but u can fix that with his thrid costume XD he sounded better, looked better that he acted better... soo dissidia vann epic win.. FFXII Vann = Epic :fail:

How does this qualify Vaan as a bad character?

Back