[11/07] Square Enix releases new Theatrhythm Screens & Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
2eceuzm.jpg

Rather than making us wait until later in the week, Square Enix made official announcement of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy with the online press today, and also shared a few screenshots and details. While the exact nature of the rhythm gameplay is a bit unclear, but Square Enix did give some hints about what to expect from the game.

You'll be able to select a title, from Final Fantasy 1 through Final Fantasy XIII. Each title has three stages: "field," "battle" and "event." Each of these stages has different different gameplay systems. You can also select difficulty, making the game suitable for beginners and rhythm masters alike, Square Enix says.

21nic2b.jpg

The game is played as a party of four characters. The main characters from the past FF games will appear in deformed style, and you'll get to form a party of four from the cast. Square Enix has not provided a list of characters, but you can already see a few in the screens and at the official site.

Joining the rhythm gameplay, the game has character growth and collection aspects. When you clear a stage, your character will level up, although Square Enix did not say what getting a level up means in the context of a rhythm game. The collection aspects involve collecting music and movie scenes.

2zitruc.jpg

On the music front, the game will have major songs from the numbered FF games. Specific songs mentioned by Square Enix include Clash on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V), One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII), At Zanarkand (Final Fantasy X) and The Sunleth Waterscape (Final Fantasy XIII). And, of course, the main FF theme. You can hear a sample at the official site. Square Enix also detailed the game's prologue.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy's Prologue

There's currently little content at the newly opened Theatrhythm Final Fantasy official site. Gameplay details are going to have to wait until presumably later in the week when Famitsu comes out.

In the meanwhile, here's the game's prologue, in case you were wondering how Square Enix has managed to cram a rhythm game into the Final Fantasy universe.

Apparently, the space between the gods Chaos and Cosmos is known as "Rhythm." "Rhythm" gives birth to the crystal which controls music, and fills the world with sound. However, the forces of chaos have disrupted the peace, and the crystal has begin to lose its shine. To restore the crystal's shine, the music wave "Rizpo" must be increased. And so, the warriors, guided by the crystal, begin their journey of music.

When that journey will begin is anyone's guess at present, as the official site does not have a release date.

Sample the Beats of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Square Enix has opened a teaser site for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, revealed last week on the pages of Jump to be a 3DS rhythm game based off Final Fantasy. Visit the site for a sample of a familiar Final Fantasy theme grooved up a bit.

The official site lists the game's developers as Indieszero, a Tokyo-based production company. Their official site lists such games as DuelPenSports, Electroplankton, Retro Game Challenge, and Personal Trainer Cooking as prior works.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Character Designs From Kingdom Hearts Avatar Designer
If you've managed to see the screenshots of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (available in the latest Weekly Shounen Jump, which hit shops today), you might have noticed that the characters look like they were ripped straight out of the Kingdom Hearts Mobile universe. There's a pretty good reason for this.

The game's characters, monsters and logo design are from MonsterOctopus, who worked on avatars for Kingdom Hearts Mobile. MonsterOctopus revealed his (or her?) role via Twitter today.

MonsterOctopus is part of a design group called MonsterSoup. The group does character design and art direction. Their works page lists such games as Tsukibito (SNK Playmore) and Livly Island (So-net).

With Theatrhythm appearing in Jump today, we should be getting an official online announcement from Square Enix later in the week

2vmsdas.jpg
149743r.jpg
2re6ssp.jpg
33cw0zk.jpg
2yphxcp.jpg
2j0m3ko.jpg

Source: Andriasang 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

This actually looks a little bit amazing, I've gotten so used to super serious final fantasy games it will be nice to have a humorous look back at the series. It would be nice to have an FF game that I can pick up and mess around with for a shortwhile on the train etc. Not too sure how fun the gameplay will be, but it looks fun enough

Otherworld best be on there

While the exact nature of the rhythm gameplay is a bit unclear
All rhythm games are like that, they never have any point.

You'll be able to select a title, from Final Fantasy 1 through Final Fantasy XIII. Each title has three stages: "field," "battle" and "event." Each of these stages has different different gameplay systems. You can also select difficulty, making the game suitable for beginners and rhythm masters alike, Square Enix says.
Probably just like Dissidia 012, then.
Field = Wandering around aimlessly wondering what you did to deserve such torment.
Battle = The only part of the game that will constitute actual gameplay.
Event = Blah blah blah, conflict, blah.

As for difficulty...well, I doubt it'll be THAT difficult. This is coming from the company that thought FFXIII needed an easy mode. The only thing difficult about Square Enix games these days it playing through them and staying awake.

The game is played as a party of four characters. The main characters from the past FF games will appear in deformed style, and you'll get to form a party of four from the cast. Square Enix has not provided a list of characters, but you can already see a few in the screens and at the official site.
Well, since it's Dissidia, and it'll be the main characters from past FF games, I think it fairly obvious who will be showing up for this nightmare.

Joining the rhythm gameplay, the game has character growth and collection aspects. When you clear a stage, your character will level up, although Square Enix did not say what getting a level up means in the context of a rhythm game. The collection aspects involve collecting music and movie scenes.
RPG meets rhythm game, and the result fails at being either. Fantastic.

On the music front, the game will have major songs from the numbered FF games. Specific songs mentioned by Square Enix include Clash on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V), One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII), At Zanarkand (Final Fantasy X) and The Sunleth Waterscape (Final Fantasy XIII). And, of course, the main FF theme. You can hear a sample at the official site. Square Enix also detailed the game's prologue.
...alright, so maybe I'll end up downloading the game's OST, or at least listening to it on Youtube or something. I'll reserve judgement on the remixes until I hear them, since remixes are often hit-and-miss...

Apparently, the space between the gods Chaos and Cosmos is known as "Rhythm." "Rhythm" gives birth to the crystal which controls music, and fills the world with sound. However, the forces of chaos have disrupted the peace, and the crystal has begin to lose its shine. To restore the crystal's shine, the music wave "Rizpo" must be increased. And so, the warriors, guided by the crystal, begin their journey of music.
:rofl:
Oh god, that is the most hilariously poor excuse for a story I've ever read in my life! Even FFXIII has more of a plotline than this! Is this what the forces of Chaos do on their weekends off, perhaps? If this is done in the style of Dissidia - as in, as if it's all totally serious buiness - I'd probably end up watching a Let's Play if one was done, because just reading that made me laugh, hard. I'll confess that this isn't an entirely bad thing. xD

Square Enix has opened a teaser site for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, revealed last week on the pages of Jump to be a 3DS rhythm game based off Final Fantasy. Visit the site for a sample of a familiar Final Fantasy theme grooved up a bit.
It sounds like something off the X-Factor, to be honest. But if you drag your mouse over the walking deformed Lightning, it has the same effect as smacking her across the back of the head. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a Square Enix character :jess:

The official site lists the game's developers as Indieszero, a Tokyo-based production company. Their official site lists such games as DuelPenSports, Electroplankton, Retro Game Challenge, and Personal Trainer Cooking as prior works.
Oh, and that just fills me with confidence. What an impressive list of accomplishments.

If you've managed to see the screenshots of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (available in the latest Weekly Shounen Jump, which hit shops today), you might have noticed that the characters look like they were ripped straight out of Motomu Toriyama's arse. There's no good reason for this.
Fixed.

...why do they all have Pikachu faces?

So, to summarise: Square Enix join forces with a group of barely heard of companies with no experience whatsoever in creating anything remotely resembling a good game, throw together an excuse to add a storyline which sounds like something out of a low-budget anime or a fanfiction written by a four-year-old and, to add insult to injury, they stick it on the 3DS.

...yeah, fuck you too, Square Enix.

This has pretty much confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will NOT be buying this, unless it's about £5 or something. Although I will definetely give the OST a look-in.

My thoughts:

Yeah, that's me. I use this picture for failures like this...

This game looks like something my eight year old brother would love and my ten year old brother would start crying because he's laughing his ass off so hard.

First off, it looks like they hired someone who has less experience than I do. Seriously, I could create a game that looks better than this. In fact, I actually have.

Second, what the fuck is wrong with their artwork? The logo looks like some 14 year old took the Dissidia logo and edited it Microsoft paint in a few hours. What a joke. Also, the character art looks degrading. They all look retarded. Only thing they're missing is a helmet.

Is that a behemoth!? Looks more like a puppy that's been thrown in the dryer.

Rizpo? WTF?
if (story == "lame") { screw_this = true; }
There's your programming knowledge for the day

Why doesn't Square-Enix finish Final Fantasy XIV? I mean, seriously, it's only half done when you think about it, since one of the MAJOR features was to be on PS3. Looks like it's only on PC, and soon you're not even going to be able to get that edition.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

I am really not impressed with this at all. The designs really look terrible and just like Martel said.. pikachu faces. The characters look bad enough in chibi form. The OST is like the only thing worth checking out about this new title. When I look at this... I just ask... who the hell thought of this idea? All that being said.. I will not buy this at all. Some kid might find it cute, but.. oh well. This honestly has not grabbed my interest at all.

But if you drag your mouse over the walking deformed Lightning, it has the same effect as smacking her across the back of the head. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a Square Enix character :jess:

You Mean like this :jess:

HittingLightning.png

First off, it looks like they hired someone who has less experience than I do. Seriously, I could create a game that looks better than this. In fact, I actually have.

This game looks terrible.

Rydrum2112

Watch the one-liners.

No offense to the moderators but did you see the 2 posts previous to mine? or the one on the next page that consist of 1-liners?

Last edited:
This game looks really cute and fun. Chibi Zidane and Bartz !

Though if they skip out FF9 and FF6 again, I WILL BE PISSED. :rage:

And they better add characters that are musical, like Spoony Bard. If they don't add somebody musical like him or Kuja, and some fangirl bishie boy instead like Genesis, I WILL BE PISSED.

:rage:

Basically I won't buy this game unless they add decent characters to the game. :mokken:

i had so much fun knocking over bartz hundreds of times.

you mean like this :jess:

HittingBartz.png

got to admit one thing that kool about the game... best thing to do on an website in ages :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back