[10/09] SE registers Final Fantasy XIII-3 domain, renews Final Fantasy Versus XIII trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.
XIII-3? This is good news. XIII was undeniably the strongest the series, I'm so stoked for XIII-2 but knowing XIII-3 could be coming? Fucking amazing! Thank you Square Enix :)
They seem to be the only developer/publisher that really "gets it". You know what I mean?

I do not agree with Final Fantasy XIII being the best in the series. I am sure half of the forum will not agree either. Why do you think it is the best in the series? At least provide reason, because I am finding it hard to agree with this. :)Only developer that gets it? Hmm I am once again finding a hard time agreeing with this. Just because a potential trilogy of XIII will happen... you say they get it? Do you know how much more anticipated games are being awaited? Square Enix always concentrates on different games anyway. They announce so many games and just Leave Versus out in the blue. Another game would be Kingdom Hearts III which has so little information as well. So no, SE does not get it. They just announce anything they desire. XIII-3 was bound to happen anyway. Not like I am hating on XIII, but I think you are the first person who said XIII > All. Things Square Enix need to learn: Do not always focus on online play. Dragon Quest X was such an anticipated game, and they screwed it up by making it like FF XI and XIV. That was seriously a bummer.
Just an example :)

Last edited:
I know this is just a website domain name registration, but the fact that this sounds very likely is just depressing. They may as well announce it now. I mean, they did that for FFXIII-2 not long after the internet learned they trademarked that name. And I'm pretty sure they'd have no qualms at all with making a third game because FFXIII-2 will undoubtedly sell fairly well. Yet I have seen no one ask for a trilogy. Who seriously wants one? Who wholeheartedly thinks that this is a good idea, dragging the story on even further when I doubtlessly think FFXIII was never planned to be a trilogy - or more! Even to the biggest fans of FFXIII, is this honestly a good thing?

Where is the line then? They may want to argue that they will make a sequel to whatever numbered game sells well globally, but headlines: THEY WILL ALL SELL WELL (at least for as long as I know). Do we therefore make multiple sequels to every big title in the future now? Versus XIII-2? I can see the confusion that will bring. As someone rightly said, one of the major qualities of the FF series is the fact that each game is a blank slate, filled with new individual stories, characters, universes, gameplay mechanics etc. Does anyone seriously want another Compilation of FFVII? At least FFVII itself is a more enjoyable game to base more titles out of.

End rant. This registration may not even lead to much in the near future at least anyway, but still...

I do not agree with Final Fantasy XIII being the best in the series. I am sure half of the forum will not agree either. Why do you think it is the best in the series? At least provide reason, because I am finding it hard to agree with this. :)Only developper that "gets it" Hmm I am once again finding a hard time agreeing with this. Just because a poetential trilogy of XIII will happen... you say they get it? Do you know how much more anticipated games are being awaited? Square Enix always concentrates on different games anyway. They announce so many games and just Leave Versus out in the blue. Another game would be Kingdom Hearts III which has so little information as well. So no, SE does not get it. They just announce anything they desire. XIII-3 was bound to happen anyway. Not like I am hating on XIII, but I think you are the first person who said XIII > All. Things Square Enix need to learn: Do not always focus on online play. Dragon Quest X was such an anticipated game, and they screwed it up by making it like FF XI and XIV. That was seriously a bummer.
Just an example :)

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, but I could be wrong. It does sound like it. :wacky:

Whether he's sarcastic or not, he doesn't exactly need to give him an answer anyway. Get over it and leave him be. I don't have to say "FFVI is my favourite FF because X Y and Z" every time I point out that it's my favourite FF, geez. Nor does he have to be hung up on games like Versus which has yet to be finished despite being promised back in 06. Yeah it's annoying, but most people get over it.

As for this, no, I hope it doesn't happen. I'm hoping they done it for some sort of precaution in case XIII-2 does make it big enough to get another sequel, which I doubt. Unless it's going to be a Japan only release since they loved XIII, so if they want it, let them have it. SE'll save a bit on not having to make it for other countries.

But it's no skin off my back anyway. I'm too set on Type-0 to focus on Versus right now, but that'll probably be my phase after I've milked Type-0 dry. I'm just hoping they're working on it at a decent pace now, but deciding to keep it under wraps instead of releasing a screenshot every 2 ticks. (Which would make a change, but don't hurt to hope)

EDIT: Cause it's relevant
tumblr_lrbzhsb2K21qj8uv4.jpg

Last edited:
It's the best Final Fantasy because it has the deepest story line, most engaging characters, best graphics, best music, etc etc. Not to mention that they finally perfected the ATB system. In my opinion it's the only game that warrants a direct sequel.

Versus looks like it could be O.K. but in my opinion it looks a like it's trying a bit too hard to be Final Fantasy VII.

Square is the only company that "gets it" because they're giving gamers what they need, not what they want. I will admit that they seem to be leaving a certain part of their fan base behind but hey, something to innovate you have to forget about the stragglers.

Also, for the record, I'm very excited for Dragon Quest X. Having it online (but not necessarily an MMO) looks like the next step after the multiplayer aspect of DQIX.

Anyways, we all shouldn't get too excited yet, companies often register domains just to protect themselves. A few weeks ago Sony registered (something like) sony-microsoft.com but it was just to prevent other people from hijacking it. But let's remain hopeful!! XIII-3 could be awesome. Imagine if they let you import your save from XIII-2 and carry on with the ending that you received?? Awesome.

It's the best Final Fantasy because it has the deepest story line, most engaging characters, best graphics, best music, etc etc. Not to mention that they finally perfected the ATB system. In my opinion it's the only game that warrants a direct sequel.

Square is the only company that "gets it" because they're giving gamers what they need, not what they want. I will admit that they seem to be leaving a certain part of their fan base behind but hey, something to innovate you have to forget about the stragglers.

Two things I kind of disgree with. As I have said in another thread, there's a difference between 'the best' and 'the best for me'. I am not with you to say it has the strongest story line and most engaging characters. That is a matter of opinion. Even game critics disagree, though not entirely different opinions of this FF installment ;)

How can a company give a gamer 'what they need' rather than 'want'? That is such a confusing statement. Really, how can anyone NEED another game. That kind of thinking got us Shrek 3...

I wish people wouldn't assume that because FFXII-2 had its trademark registered and then the game came after, that it means the same will happen with FFXII-3.

FFXII-2 came out, in part, to try to make it up to all the NA fans who hated FFXIII, largely due to linearity. They knew such a thing would make money. They also know that a third game, though perhaps it would sell well, wouldn't make as much as an original series entry or one of the long anticipated games on the waitlist, because demand would likely decrease.

I only see FFXII-3 coming out if FFXII-2 comes out well receieved in both Japan and NA; in which case it may be a good thing that it's coming out.

Regardless, don't start burning Square-Enix for something they have yet to do. To me, it is absurd to start raging about this when it's nothing even close to confirming another sequel.

If nothing else, Versus proves that Square can register a domain name and then not make the game :sad3:

Welp.

It seems i must return to the nintendo fanbase again.

good job Squeenix. starting a triquel before the Sequel even comes out! if This XIII-2 sucks @$$ XIII-3 better become FFXV.

or if you want to piss off more fans. a linear remake of FFVI.

Screw you Squeenix.

SCREW. YOU.

I know this is just a website domain name registration, but the fact that this sounds very likely is just depressing. They may as well announce it now. I mean, they did that for FFXIII-2 not long after the internet learned they trademarked that name. And I'm pretty sure they'd have no qualms at all with making a third game because FFXIII-2 will undoubtedly sell fairly well. Yet I have seen no one ask for a trilogy. Who seriously wants one? Who wholeheartedly thinks that this is a good idea, dragging the story on even further when I doubtlessly think FFXIII was never planned to be a trilogy - or more! Even to the biggest fans of FFXIII, is this honestly a good thing?

Where is the line then? They may want to argue that they will make a sequel to whatever numbered game sells well globally, but headlines: THEY WILL ALL SELL WELL (at least for as long as I know). Do we therefore make multiple sequels to every big title in the future now? Versus XIII-2? I can see the confusion that will bring. As someone rightly said, one of the major qualities of the FF series is the fact that each game is a blank slate, filled with new individual stories, characters, universes, gameplay mechanics etc. Does anyone seriously want another Compilation of FFVII? At least FFVII itself is a more enjoyable game to base more titles out of.

End rant. This registration may not even lead to much in the near future at least anyway, but still...

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, but I could be wrong. It does sound like it. :wacky:

Yup, I really agree with you Livi. Haha yeah it was not even long when Final Fantasy XIII-2 got trademarked. It got announced really shortly after. If you fear the same will happen with XIII-3, then yeah... I do as well. After all it is quite obvious that they will announce it soon enough. Nobody wants another compilation of VII. Well, I certainly do not! I am not too big on XIII but we obviously saw this coming. Nothing we can do about it. I only saw Final Fantasy XIII having one sequel, and that one being XIII-2. Now however I can agree that a 3rd game will be announced. Traveling in the future is a pretty obvious hint from XIII-2. When I first played XIII, I though it was just going to be one game. After the ending played, well that left things hanging. What better way for SE to continue the story? SE continued through the use of a book at first for Episode I. Episode Zero was the same concept as well. Now they want to base the storyline on games because they obviously have some variety. I will be the judge when I see the ending of XIII-2.

No, Versus XIII does NOT need a sequel! XD The game has been in development for fucking ages.

Also, no that was not sarcasm. I have read his other posts :olivia:

All I can say is

Can we change the name of this forum to "Anti Square Enix Forums" already?

Sure SE make mistakes. But the fans are so aggressive it scares me. :wacky:

hrumpf

I doubt the just in case scenario.

If that were the case they would have registered FFVII-2, Chrono Cross -2 and several other possibilities.Have they done so.I haven't checked and would have to find out if they have but I doubt they have.

I think someone at Square is actively considering it.
shrugs.

I am excited about FFXIII-2 I will confess that.If I have the money I will buy it first day. But a II game is enough.A III game would be an insult to those of us waiting for Versus.
and Yes I am waiting for Versus.

I don't understand their mindset.I have to assume, like I have said before, that they don't care what we western players think. Square must believe they can afford to alienate us and make up the losses in their asian market.

:hal:

I doubt the just in case scenario.

If that were the case they would have registered FFVII-2, Chrono Cross -2 and several other possibilities.Have they done so.I haven't checked and would have to find out if they have but I doubt they have.

I think someone at Square is actively considering it.
shrugs.

I am excited about FFXIII-2 I will confess that.If I have the money I will buy it first day. But a II game is enough.A III game would be an insult to those of us waiting for Versus.
and Yes I am waiting for Versus.

I don't understand their mindset.I have to assume, like I have said before, that they don't care what we western players think. Square must believe they can afford to alienate us and make up the losses in their asian market.

:hal:

That's because they are not open to the possibility of those games.

I'm not saying they aren't open to the possibility of FFXIII-3; far from it. But it's still just a possibility. It is no certainty, as so many people seem to think it is. How actively they are considering is debatable, but until the release is official, it is unreasonable for people to start raging. It is sound business strategy to keep your mind open.

And it's clear from FFXIII-2, to me, that Square to care about what Westerners think. From bringing back moogles to trying to make the game as open-world as possible, it's clear they were trying to satiate all the complaints that westerners seem to have with the game. Even character-wise, they seem to be doing that, with Snow and Hope (who are widely regarded as irritating) being scarcely used/mentioned.

1. It has some of the worst characters. The only good character is Sazh. 2. I wouldn't say best story line either. From what I've played, it's alright, but definitelly not best. 3. Graphics don't matter. 4. No. The music is far from the best.

Versus looks like it could be O.K. but in my opinion it looks a like it's trying a bit too hard to be Final Fantasy VII.

No, that's what Final Fantasy XIII did.

I don't think any gamers wanted an interactive movie with the Final Fantasy name slapped onto it.

Also, for the record, I'm very excited for Dragon Quest X. Having it online (but not necessarily an MMO) looks like the next step after the multiplayer aspect of DQIX.

Multiplayer in an RPG like that is dumb. I was excited for Dragon Quest X. I was hoping it would be like VIII and hopefully better. But now it's an online RPG that has screwed up the way Dragon Quest works and requires a constant internet connection. If I wanted an MMORPG I'd download a free one on my computer like I've done in the past.

Anyways, we all shouldn't get too excited yet, companies often register domains just to protect themselves. A few weeks ago Sony registered (something like) sony-microsoft.com but it was just to prevent other people from hijacking it. But let's remain hopeful!! XIII-3 could be awesome. Imagine if they let you import your save from XIII-2 and carry on with the ending that you received?? Awesome.

No one will remain hopeful or excited for garbage :hmph:

I couldn't be bolloxed reading through all these replies, someone basically hit the nail on the head earlier

Companies often buy up dozens of domain names just in case, it's quite likely they have bought domains up to XX I am sure

There are many cases of companies buying up domain names that are anti-company_name etc., as a precaution. That is all this is

despairzetsuboudespairs.jpg

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

I will acknowledge first that there are some FFXIII fans out there (so FFXIII fans, I'd appreciate it if you didn't start flaming me for my opinion: I'm not attacking you personally, and I shouldn't have to defend myself for being critical because I'm not breaking any forum rules by being so, else I would have been infracted and booted out a long time ago) but this is something that has split the franchise right down the middle and, with XIII-2 looking to barely improve upon the original, they want to add even MORE fuel to the raging fire by making a THIRD instalment?! Whose stupid idea was this?! Let me guess: Motomu Toriyama. The man who doesn't know the difference between a video game and a movie, and who makes even Twilight and the Inheritance Cycle look like Shakespeare.​

Allow me to justify my anger, so that this isn't just a directionless rant: firstly, look how well this turned out for the compilation of FFVII. Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus are hardly well regarded by the fans or the media in general. FFXIII has received even more criticism than either of those games. It has received an equal amount of praise, but it's a mothership title. FF mothership titles NEVER get criticised by the media: when they do, you KNOW something is wrong. Fine, if you like it, you like it, but you can't deny that is a very strong indicator that people in general might not be quite as pleased as you are (and, if it doesn't bother you, try remembering that BEFORE you start flaming me, kthanks) and that to make a sequel is a bad idea, because it's just going to stir up the waters even more. To make a threequel...well.​

XIII-2 is already a totally unnecessary and pointless waste of time, with insufficient development time for it to be anything other than but a mere shadow of what it could have been if Square Enix had spent the necessary time and effort in developing it. They just haven't put sufficient effort into it, at least not from my perspective and, after the amount of time they put into FFXIII only to have it extremely disappointing, I'm not willing to give them a second chance, and I know a lot of other people won't be either. Sequels to RPGs are rarely as well-received as the originals are, because they're highly limited in their approach: they need to follow a storyline that is already complete by itself, and there is very little room for creativity or character development, because the characters are already full developed. Conflict is resolved. It's OVER. It's like necroposting in a topic that is half a year old.​

It's going to be like the Star Wars prequels...and in more ways than one, since Square Enix have clearly sold their souls to the idea of catering for the West, which THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO PROPERLY. FFXIII was a shameless attempt at a western action-RPG, and the developers have already admitted to stealing game mechanics from popular Western series so that XIII-2 actually has some gameplay. This isn't what JRPGs are; they're not shameless love-childs of a bunch of Western franchises given a barely recognisable storyline. A third instalment...god, I don't want to think about what it would be like.​

How often do we see sequels to JRPGs (outside of Square Enix) where they directly continue a storyline with the same characters? Not very often. The reason? JRPGs are supposed to be self-contained epics; they're not supposed to last across multiple games. You get one huge, sweeping epic adventure with a satisfying beginning, middle and end. The primary ingredient of any RPG is it's storyline, and in a story-driven game, who is going to want to have to buy multiple games to get the full picture? It's just not done. There are exceptions, but they are for the most part highly annoying.​

No matter how hard they try, Square Enix will NEVER be able to emulate the likes of Mass Effect, or justify endless sequels like this to a game that was very negatively received when in comparison to the other Final Fantasy mothership titles. It has it's share of fans, but it has more than it's fair share of critics, even among the media who have nothing bad to say about anyone, and they're considerably more vocal than they are for any of the other games. The fans could easily shout down the haters for any other FF game, except for this one. Making a sequel to it was already a bad idea, because they're alienating half of their fans. Making a threequel to it...who makes the financial decisions these days for this bloody company?!​

I am absolutely disgusted that they would even CONSIDER this. Not only because I don't like FFXIII and the direction that they've decided to take the franchise in, but because it's just such a stupid idea. The idea of a JRPG split across multiple instalments is not an appealing one: even if I had liked FFXIII, I would still be frowning at XIII-2 as I am now. Sequels are a common thing these days, but it just isn't done for JRPGs, because they're supposed to be conclusive. In doing this, they've robbed FFXIII of perhaps the one thing it had going for it: it had a proper ending.​

Anyways, I'm done now. In short: I am disgusted with Square Enix, but not surprised, given the intellectual suicide they've committed with their recent video games...or what pass for them. Given the minimal improvements made to XIII-2, I don't expect anything different for XIII-3.​

...also, if you don't like it, blame the people in the shoutbox, they put me up to this...if not for them, I would have been blissfully unaware of this thread's existence. It's more painful for me than it is for anyone else, because I had hope that Square Enix might possibly turn their idiocy around once they were through with FFXIII, but it looks like that'll never happen now, if they're making a bloody threequel. :hmph:

Last edited:
:rofl:

Well at least it's not FF VII getting more sequels and prequels...

But shouldn't they wait to see how well XIII-2 Does before they even think about XIII-3?

and on top of that, wheres FF XV!!!! comon register that domain!

And versus news... I could care less till I see an actual deadline for the game!

SE is buying up trademarks so that trademark trolls can't get their mitts on them and squat for money. This is normal. Not nabbing potential IP trademarks ASAP is shortsighted business practice.

Although I still have a mixed opinion of Final Fantasy XIII, I am kinda looking forward to the redemption of XIII-2 that was promised. Being a more open world with more to do and explore without running a linear line.

I did notice however that no one mentioned this, as a whole, with graphics getting better and better, and taking up more and more time to produce and disk space, i can easily see games having sequels being a trend in the future. A game like VI or VII for example have massive and complex stories that cover a lot of material and side material. And although the PSOne games had multiple disks, they had many pre-rendered backgrounds which means less work and disc space over all.

I am thinking it's possible in order to tell the full intended story they are releasing a potential 3 games to encompass it, instead of taking triple the time to release one game. Unfortunately that leaves us with an inconclusive first game leaving most of us not knowing how to feel about the future of the series...

Just a thought... hmmm

I really don't get the ridiculous reaction to this.

One, it's a website folks. They had a trademark on Chrono Break or some such forever, and we STILL never saw the fucking game (idiot Square so on and on). So why should we think that sitting on a domain means they're going to make a third game?

Two, why do we care? If you hate the original, just do what I do, pretend that Final Fantasy bowed out after X-2, the last respectable Final Fantasy that there is (so far at least). They can make whatever the want, and someone will want it, and it will be at least moderately successful because of the name alone.

Three, some people like XIII, some people like XII, I find them both shitty, but I wouldn't want to deny those people their fun. It's not my place, or my job. :wacky:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back