Will the PS4 Pro change your decision to buy FFXV on the PS4?

Will you buy FFXV on the Pro?

• Yes, I am going to buy FFXV on the Pro

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I will not be buying FFXV at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Seeing as I've got a Pro now, I've gotta say that I'm looking forward to playing it at 60fps. Hopefully it has two separate options for framerate and resolution like Infamous does. That way even if 1080p/60fps doesn't work to my liking, I can drop it to 30fps to ensure consistency.

Seeing as I've got a Pro now, I've gotta say that I'm looking forward to playing it at 60fps. Hopefully it has two separate options for framerate and resolution like Infamous does. That way even if 1080p/60fps doesn't work to my liking, I can drop it to 30fps to ensure consistency.
It seems the norm may become 1080P/60 FPS or 4K/30 FPS as options. Granted there will be some exceptions to this such as Rise of The Tomb Raider's mode that focuses on pushing visual quality to the maximum instead of fps or resolution as a 3rd choice.

Warning everyone now by the way, if you're thinking of getting the Pro for 4K, but are unsure, don't. Having messed around with Black Ops 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Infamous Second Son, Ratchet & Clank, and Fallout 4 on a high end 4K display, 4K is simply not worth much without 4K assets to back it up. That's not to say anything about how the Pro handles 4K. Comparing it to native 4K, the temporal and checkerboard upscaling used are great, and only produce an ever so slightly softer image than native 4K. At normal viewing distance, you can't tell the difference; I was sitting about four and a half feet from a 55 inch display, and it was fine. The negligible difference between native and these upscaling techniques is also largely because most Pro compatible games as of now run games natively at 1800p, and upscale from that short distance. It's 4K itself is the problem. The boost without assets to back it up really doesn't seem to do much. It ends up feeling remarkably similar to the same console running supersampled down to 1080p. Basically both options leave you with an image that largely lacks any form of aliasing or sub-pixel shimmering, but that doesn't look drastically more detailed than just playing at 1080p.

What may instead make the Pro worth it are the separate modes, like the higher performance and better effects modes some games like Tomb Raider have on offer. But also, the extra 1GB of DDR3 RAM used for multitasking frees up more ram for games. But for me, the biggest boost is the 5ghz boost to internet bandwidth, which turns ten hour downloads to hour and a half downloads of you have access to like a 50mbs per second connection.

If you're curious to try it out and have a way to try the Pro, apparently there is yet another demo for FFXV on the Japanese PS Store that offers up the 60fps mode, the 4K mode with enhanced effects, and a 4K mode with an unlocked framerate but missing the enhanced effects.

Back