What gives a game 'classic' status?

Jack's Smirking Revenge

i am the one who knocks
Veteran
Gil
So when does a game become what everyone refers to as a 'classic'? There are some very good examples of classic games around, like Sonic, the original FF's and Tetris, to name a few. But what makes these games classic? Is it their age, the way they play? Maybe it's their sales figures over the years?

For me, I think a classic game is one that has been around for generations, but is still seen as an amazing game by current standards. Very few classic games ever get remakes, which I think is a good thing, because a remake or an update of a game often spoils it

That's true, classic games are usually the games that have been out for many years, like the original final fantasy games, and are still fun to play years later. I don't think that remakes are too bad though because they let newer gamers who probably were not born yet or missed the game the first time around to be able to play these game, like me. The only reason I was able to play the first four final fantasy games is because someone made a remake.

Games aren't labeled as classics according to sales figures...I mean, sure Square, and Contrail and the other companies label them that way, but...what makes a classic game classic is it's lovability. =]

IMO one of the best classics ever created is Star Ocean: The Second Story.
But...other's would dissagree. =]

Classic games, are games that have been out for a long time, Like Sonic, space Invinters

Classic games are also normally good old games that when out were very popular.

the people makes a game a clasic, because, however you tell about the game they know about it, wich happens whit FF7 and others ones like Halo.

And i think that when we become older a lot of today's game will be clasics

I agree with what was said earlier, that if a game which is pretty old can still stand up against the modern games then it should be considered a classic. At the same time this can be quite subjective, as certain people may consider something better than it is due to fondness and nostalgia rather than it's merits as a game. I'd also say it has to be at least 5 or so years old, just to be picky.:rolleyes:

I'd also say it has to be at least 5 or so years old, just to be picky.:rolleyes:

I'd say more like 10 years. ;)

I think a game has to have been fun to play when it came out. Then a few years go by and new consols and games come out. Then one day you go to your friend/cousin/aunts house and some just happends to hook up the old system and play that game and your like "OMG I haven't played that game for x number of years! It was so awesome!"

It also has to make you feel nostalgic.

I define 'classic' as retro stuffs. Bad graphics or 2D images usually come in hand with such labels, but there do seem to be one or two which slip away from that. FFVII for example. Abysmal graphics, but revolutionary for it's age... that's enough for it to fall under the category of classic for me.

I want to put FFIX in there too... but something's stopping me. >.>

Classic = Pretty much any game from the last generation that is largely considered a great game after a few years to see if it's popularity wasn't a fluke.

Retro = A game largely considered to be classic from 2 console generations ago backwards. Now it'll be the PS, N64 and Saturn although you could argue with the Dreamcast's inclusion into it.

Cult = A great game from any time but never reached the level of success to not apply to the above.

I don't know if I consider FFVII a classic yet. It is a very good game, but I don't think it is old enough to be considered a classic. It will be someday though.

Also, with all the stuff coming out for it, it kind of feels like a current game.

Classic games to me are those games that are over 10 years old...15-20 years in preference. Look at Super Mario from the very old Nintendo. I still want to play that game; in fact, I ache for it! I was only a child when I played that game, and now I reminisce on my childhood days and what it was like to play games such as that.

Usually with classic games, graphics are old school too. But back then, we did not care, did we? Not at all, because we never got a glimpse of mind-blowing graphics like from the ones we are used to now. So, if I want to play a game that doesn't have great graphics and spend a lot of hours playing it anyway, I usually classify that as "classic." ;)

IMO a game becomes a classic by being very popular when it origanlly comes out and it never gets old! you still want to play it years and years later.

Super Mario Brothers is a great classic becuase it was awesome when it came out and i still want to play it really bad even though it came out about 20 years ago. that is why it is a classic

Back