What could you live without?

Lirael

I love to read and discuss pretty much anything!
Veteran
Gil
So we all know that our societies are, on the whole, quite materialistic. We depend on technology for entertainment. Some of us are able to indulge in our favourite foods frequently. We can easily take a lot of what we have for granted.

Think about the things you are fortunate enough to have.
Do they make your life rewarding?
What could you live without, realistically, whilst still being happy/content?
What would you do instead if these things weren't in your life?
What would you find it incredibly hard to live without?
Why?

I am fortunate enough to:

• have my own room in a nice house in a small village surrounded by trees, with few cars, clean air and a nice garden
  • have nice, fresh food every day and a varied diet - none of that packaged, cheap stuff that some families can barely even afford :(
  • have a large collection of books
  • have a games collection/have discovered Final Fantasy
  • have a computer
  • have a job
  • have had an offer for a PGCE course! :)
  • have pens and paper. They allow me to write
  • be healthy!
  • have a car
  • have music

The following make my life rewarding:

• being healthy. It means I can walk, talk, see people and enjoy everything life has to offer.
  • living in the countryside, amongst trees, with clean air.
  • good, wholesome food. A bad diet actually makes me feel low, almost frantic to eat good food. A wholesome diet is good for health, both physical and emotional. I suppose there are no specific foods I couldn't live without, although I'd be rather upset if I couldn't have porridge! :ness: ;)
  • books. They feed the mind and soul. They're crucial to our emotional health and to our understanding of the world around us - its history, the people and cultures, philosophical questions, science... Everything feeds into literature. Literature reflects everything. It can calm us, inspire us, educate us. It can help us escape too. :)
  • my job. I felt so low when I had nothing to do, but having a job you don't enjoy is almost as bad. I'm lucky enough to have a job I adore, in which I'm helping other people learn. It's stimulating and rewarding. I couldn't have asked for anything better at this point in my life.
  • my offer for the teacher's training course. I am going to fulfil my dream! =)
  • pens and paper/something to write on!
  • music. It's always been in my life. My Dad and I are both musical. Listening to music can make me feel happy/hopeful when I'm down. It inspires me towards greater things. I feel connected to the world and, sometimes, see something new in the things that surround me. Music helps me visualise where I want to be and can give me a little of the confidence I need to get there. :)

I could live without:

• games. Although Final Fantasy X has changed my life, most of the games I've played are a luxury. As long as I could keep the memories of what I've already played, I could live without ever playing another game and still feel content.
  • DVDs. They're another luxury, and probably the one I don't find that rewarding at all... Just entertaining. :lew:
  • this house. I could live in one a bit smaller and be happy. :) I couldn't easily live in a city though. :ness: Perhaps in a quiet area of the city. :hmmm:
  • my computer. It's good for research and makes writing easier - and communication - but I could return to books for research and use pen and paper to write. It would be more archaic, but perhaps more fun! :)
Without these I would:

• read. A lot.
  • write. A lot.
  • go walking more often.

I would find it incredibly hard to live without:

• everything listed under 'what makes my life more rewarding.' :wacky:

:hmmm: your first post is very detailed I do not think I can match up to that so I guess I will just list what I think I could live without rather than all that other stuff.

I could probably live without absolutely everything I own. You don't need possessions to live, it would be a very sad and boring life without them but I could cope if something happened and I had to sell/get rid of my stuff. So long as I have water, food, my dog (Coz he is my buddy), etc I would be ok.

Things I would not enjoy living without would be internet, and my laptop :sad3: I guess I would not like to live without my family too :hmmm:

Let's just make mine to what I can't live without and then you can just figure the rest out from there:

-My vital organs
-Food
-Shelter
-Water
-Medicines
-Grace of God (Religiously, and I call that an essential)

I think that's pretty much about it. I wouldn't want to live without my parents, friends, boyfriend, siblings, etc, but...well, I guess anyone can, right?

So, yep. There ya go.

I am pretty sure I can live without a lot of things, as people in other parts of the world are less-fortunate than I am.

some of these things I speak of include the following

-computer
-video games
-phone
-internet

However, you can call me selfish as I would not like to give up these things for any reason. They are a normal part of my everyday life and in response to that, while I could live without them, I prefer not to think in that manner.

There are a lot of things I could live without but would definitely not want to.

My life would be very boring, though I'd hope I'd find something to occupy my time. XD

As long as I have my Steve I'm sure I'd be fine. :ryan:

I would be able to live without technology but due to being raised with the stuff I'd feel very out of place. Imagine doing it like the old days and having to wait on a letter from your mate who lives overseas or something. :gonk:

So as others have said, materialistic items and technology would not keep me alive and so I could live without them, but it would be very boring. :sad3:

I can live without my student loans! Hahahaha.... crap.

I can live without

- pets
- vegetables
- big screen TVs
- 3D on everything :hmph:
- music CDs (there's YouTube)
- the Wii

Actually, I can live without watching television. I need the Internet though for homework and school.

Back