the jump to blu-ray

Jack's Smirking Revenge

i am the one who knocks
Veteran
Gil
have you made it yet? if not, why not?

i only got a blu-ray player about a year ago. it was something i wanted for a long time, but for some reason i just didn't get one. i think films look much better in hd, particularly more modern ones that have not had a digital restoration. i watched the tree of life a couple of days ago on blu, and the visuals were absolutely incredible, i've genuinely seen nothing like it before.

when i've moved into a house and not just living in a flat, i'm going to invest in a really good surround sound system to get the full benefit of blu-ray.

Mmm, blu-ray is so much better. I only have a couple of them though :sad3: . Prof Layton was surprisingly a huge improvement over the SD version. I thought because it was cartoony, it wouldn't have much effect, but I guess it must be the opposite because it was stunning :griin:

The thing is, they are so much more expensive than normal DVDs. I'd like to go all out and just not buy normal dvds anymore, but when you see the blu-ray in the store right next to the normal DVD...and see the prices...it's hard to not go for the cheaper option :sad:

We upgraded when I got my ps3 a couple of years ago. About a year after that I traded in my xbox and I got a WiFi "smart" blu ray player for my room. I dunno, like any movie you put in there that's a blu ray will look loads better than a dvd, but I only buy blu rays when I can get them on sale or when it's a special effects laiden movie, like Clash of the Titans (when that came out).

The discs are so expensive I just don't see the point in buying every movie in blu ray when dvds are usually so much cheaper.

I've technically had a blu-ray player for years i.e. my PS3. But I've only bought one blu-ray and that was Sucker Punch because I wanted to see the difference, especially when the film has great visuals I thought it would be the best one to get. Also, hot girls.

I actually got the triple play version with the DVD included and was a fucking muppet and played the DVD version with the lads and only realised at the end. :lew: They haven't let me forget it. :( Even so, the TV was my mate's and it's a really high end one and it looked amazing even on DVD. I tried the blu-ray version last night on my TV and was underwhelmed so I'll have to try it again on a decent TV because mine is crap. :hmmm:

But even so, DVDs are a lot cheaper and to be honest, I don't see the point in getting a blu-ray version of a film that doesn't have emphasis on it's visuals because I don't think the HD element will add a great deal. :hmmm:

i tend to only buy a film on blu-ray if i haven't already seen it, or don't own it on dvd already. there are exceptions though, i'll buy classics on blu-ray. i'm currently building up my tarantino collection on blu-ray. i'm only missing pulp fiction and deathproof now.
i don't really see the problem with the price. you get what you pay for, and it's only a small difference in price between that and a dvd. plus you can get blu-rays incredibly cheap online, just use amazon or something similar. my mate showed me a fantastic website www.blu-ray.com which comares prices regularly to find the cheapest. they don't always get it right, but you can save a lot of money on there.

nah

i enjoy tv/movies just the way that they are. it's great when you can do blu-ray, but it's something i can live without. don't go out of my way to avoid it, but i don't keep an eye out for it either

I don't really have any blurays perse, just bluray torrents as they're rarely sold here. They just stick to dvds although I see a huge difference when playing something on bluray and on DVD.

Well... I don't have an HD TV yet (my parents do) so no I/we haven't made any jumps yet. In fact, just last week I got like, 3 DVDs for my wrestling collection. Even after we do make the eventual switch, I don't think we're gonna get many Blu Rays. Mostly because they are so expensive and, I'm really the only one in the house that watches DVDs. All wrestling DVDs are released as either DVD/Blu Ray or just a DVD edition. So we are most likely gonna go for the cheaper version, which is DVD.

Ps3's are a great thing.

I only buy blu rays when theyre on a good deal. I dont ever use any of the interactive features so i have no incentive to buy them for that, the picture quality is the only reason i pick them up. Im a big film nerd and i know that blu ray doesnt make a movie any better so its gotta be a good deal before i pick one up. Some films dont benefit from blu ray at all. Ive watched many films and totally forgot they were blu ray. Action films seem to benefit the best. Explosions and stunts really look great with a crisp image but other than that a great film is still a great film. Theres many black and white films that i love and to me are up there as some of the best.

£5 for a blu ray is a good price and when i see them going for that i will pick them up. Of course its only slightly older films that go for that price but i dont like spending more than £10 on a DVD unless its a boxset of some kind. If its a new release im dying to see then i pick them up at release. With new films the jump in price between blu ray and regular dvd is still quite large so i dont buy them. When the technology gets cheaper blu rays will come down in price and il start picking them up more often than i do regular dvds. I think i maybe only have 10 films on blu ray right now. Each of which ive got for a good price with the exception of limitless which i stupidly picked up at release and payed way too much. I liked the film but i ripped myself off.

I've had a PS3 for ages, so therefore I've had a Blu-Ray for ages too.

I'm honestly not all that fussed.

I have a few Blu-Ray movies but I mainly just watch movies off my USB or my enormous DVD collection.

Blu-Ray movies are too expensive and I haven't bought one in a long time.

Back