Skipping class to do course work

SapphireStar

♥ FFF's Matt Bellamy Pervert ♥
Veteran
Gil
Okay, Ive missed several lectures because I have a lot of essays to get done. But is that wrong? The lectures dont help towards the actual essays themselves and I only have 2 classes on Thrusdays and thats it. However the rest of the week Im actually working at my new job, so getting time to do the essays is difficult. Plus I only have till the 1st May to write 4 essays.

Im not doing anything wrong am I? The lecturers havent emailed and demanded to know where I am at all. At this moment in time Im meant to be heading into class, but Ive almost finished a creative writing essay. Tha means 1 and a half essays are complete and Im doing well.

There are some people who havent even attended any of the classes since January and as far as I know nothing has happened. And this is a silly question, but they cant stop my university loan going into my bank account because of attendence can they? So what do you think?

I actually did the same thing just on Monday xD Skipped Physics in order to finish my ICT coursework for that day
I think it's fine. As long as you go and at least make an attempt to catch up on what you've missed. The coursework is far more important than the classes; that's the one that goes directly towards the grade at the end

I have done this on a few occasions, though I always regret missing class, I don't know I just feel guilty when I do it. Now I usually bring my laptop if I have to write a paper, that way it kinda still looks like I'm doing notes when I'm actually not. And I still listen to the lectures so it really isn't that bad.

Depending on what kind of lectures they are, because even I have some lectures where I don't really learn anything in and I basically only go when we have something important. As long as you get the notes from the lecture and read the material you should be fine.

The thing is we have an online blackboard on which the weekly overpoints are posted, however one lecturer is sneaky and misses the odd word out so you have to attend or borrow someones work. So I'll try and get one of my mates notes and copy them up.

I do feel gulity all the time, but Id rather get the important stuff done as like Pooley said it counts to the final grade overall.

I actually done the same thing today. I skipped maths and English to continue with my Textiles coursework which has to be finished in 2 hours and I'm nowhere near finished... :(

So, yeah...*pouts*

But the loan company cant stop me recieveing my loan because of my attendence can they? I mean, I live away from home and need it to survive, rent wise. So it would be pointless for them to stop my loan wouldnt it?

I do this too but only if I know that I'm not going to get anything out of the class except for tutor input. I live about an hour and a half away from my college so tutors understand why I'm not sometimes in class, but I at least let them know I'm not coming in.

But if the tutors aren't catching you up then it's probably not a big deal but I would still advise you to cover your arse and let them know that you are doing work and not just skipping class, low attendance can prevent you from claiming some benefits if you're not careful.

Well Ive just emailed them that Ive missed the last 2 weeks because Ive got a new job and Im finding it difficult to get a moment to do the essays. I said I would copy up any missed work and I will be in next week without fail, which is the truth. Im going to be there early with bells on.

My loan hopefully goes through on Monday, so fingers crossed its going to be in mybank. But my loan company would have informed me if they were going to cut my benefits wouldnt they?

I think, unless you miss a lot of classes, your loan is still going to be fine. They're obliged to let you know before they make any changes to the loan any how, so you should be OK there :)

Well so far including today there have been since 23 classes January and Ive attended 12, however Ive missed 11. Some are cause I wasnt well at the start of term and had to go to the doctors and my teachers were informed of this.

I do email them if its serious and I havent heard from the loan people and its hopefully in on Monday, so I would have heard from them by now.

I skip class to post on here sometimes...

...so 'no', it's not wrong. You pay for the classes, do what ya want with it. If you can get the notes some other way, skip. If you skip a test though, don't come crying to me.:cool:

Well I can only skip so many times. Many of my teachers have a rule that if you miss more than four classes with out an excuse, then you automatically fail the course. I go to a smaller College so the professors know if you miss and many take attendence before the class.

So I only miss if I really need too and that's usually if I forgot to do something for another class, or if I have a very hard test that day, I'll skip the class before it.

If they don't do a register in class, you have nothing to worry about really. I've only skipped some Tutorials, because they were pointless.

I just took the last three whole days off to do my GCSE coursework. Unfortunatly, the school noticed and now i'm in trouble. The morale of the story: Don't skip class! (Unless you're sure you can get away with it ;))

Last edited:
Personally I think lectures are much more important than coursework. Sure the coursework will get you the grade, and I guess in the end that is the goal, but the lectures just tend to give so much more from a knowledge perspective. When I went through school, I was much more lecture orientated. The work means little to me as long as I am learning. The work is more or less just a test to show that you have actually learned something, and I'm not around just to prove to other people that I know a thing or two.

I guess it all depends on what you are in it for in the long run. Would you rather have that extra edge in the actual knowledge of what you are studying, or would you rather have the grades that show other people what you "know"? One is more worldly fulfilling, the other is more personally fulfilling. Personally, in the long run, I'd rather know that I know than have someone else tell me know that I know.

People will tell you that the work defines what you know, but that just isn't true. All throughout high school I skipped the working part. I never really did any schoolwork that is. However, I more often than not scored much higher than my peers on tests and what have you.

For example, book reports. Teachers would pass out books, tell you to read them, and then write an essay. I never once opened more than three pages in those books (the first page, a random middle page, and the last page) and I never once got below an A (or 95%) on them. Then, when the tests would come around, I always scored higher than everyone else. When I admitted that I hadn't read the book, everyone got mad and jealous and asked how I did it. The fact is, any generic 2,000 word essay on a book that isn't ultra specific can be created from three key points in the story. The very beginning, the very end, and then you build your essay around one or two particular events that happened in any middle portion of the book. Even when you're told to, say, explain why a character is a certain way, you can always fudge a story out of how that one event helped form them and make that seem like it is the "core" reason, hence why you choose to be narrow and specific about it. And as for the tests, the teachers always say something about it the day before the test, which, if you pay attention, will usually clue you in to most of the answers, and the rest you can use common sense (except for the dreaded "date" teachers who always make you remember the most asinine parts of the book to "prove" you read it).

Anyways, what I am getting at is, while I don't think there is any problem with what you did, it is personally how I would have handled it. I care not for showing others what I know, I only care to learn. So, unless your work actually helps you, I think it's more or less a thing to do if you have the chance.

On a side note, I have gone through many classes where you have to have a certain grade in a prior class to get into it, without the grade. That is to say, if a course has a prerequisite that states that you must have achieved at least a "C" or higher in to move on to the next course, I haven't always achieved it but have always gotten into the next class. The reason is I always go to that teacher and explain why the grade isn't there, and then I prove it to him simply by talking to him about the subject. You'll often find that a teacher is more impressed by what you actually know than what you're paperwork says you know. Employers, unfortunately, usually aren't.

Honestly it's up to you. It's your life, your education. You might be able to ace the class by doing nothing, you might barely be able to pass if you go to every lecture, do every assignment, get every bonus point you can. Essentially it's up to you. Your strengths and your choices make your grade. Since both the benefit or detriment are yours to enjoy, I'm not comfortable telling people what to do in this regard, and I'm not comfortable with any sort of institutional policy either. There should be none. They're your grades, it's your life.

If you can get it to work, by all means do it. If the lectures are of any intrinsic value outside of university e.g. if one can apply what is being said to a situation where one can make money, that would complicate things. Determining this fact is the problem, but if the course is only required for a humanities requirement or something arbitrary that will not help a vocation that would be aided by the degree you pursue, I would skip in a heartbeat.

Well, my loan has come through and I did email the tutors regarding why I wasnt there. Im meeting some friends tommorow and Im going to try and borrow the notes from one of them. Plus Im a week ahead of schedule with my essays ^^ Under a month to go, but Im getting there!

Sounds like your doing well, keep it up. :)

On the topic though, get the notes, make sure your not skipping just too skip and are just trying to find an excuse with the essays, and keep on doing whatever works to get you through well I guess.

Back