Enix effect on Final Fantasy

AuronYuna

Final Fantasy is my Life
Gil
Do you think that Enix has made FF better or worse? I mean since Square and Enix became SquareEnix. Or do you think that Enix hasn't affected FF?

In my opinion Enix has destroyed FF. FFX, VII, VIII, IX are much, much better than FFX-2, XII, CC (is that WiiWare CC on Wii FF ??????) etc. It has destroyed, for example the battle system. Final Fantasy can't have ADB, like FFXII. This is not Final Fantasy.

What do you think?

I agree. It seems like now they are mainly focusing on outstanding graphics and flashiness. While I liked FFXII, the battle system was ridiculous. It shouldn't take that much to learn a battle system, and it takes the fun out of the game. I long for the old days of magnificent story lines/beautiful music/easier battle systems/etc. We will see what the future holds.

I actually like XII...I preferred the battle system, so I don't think the change is a bad thing. :P

But I agree they've destroyed the traditional element of Final Fantasy. I dunno what they were thinking with XI either, and the extra cost...

Also note that Nobuo left... :/ So the music changed 'cause of that, not Enix.

And since the main complaint about XII is the lack of story... that's not Enix's fault... I don't see why the developers should affect the story! It was just different, and focussed more on the world than the characters. People should appreciate it for what it is. xP

Anyway, I'm sure there's a similar thread somewhere but I'm not a mod and I'm not 100% sure so that's my response!

Enix had nothing to do with it, and deteriorating is a matter of opinion.

Enix makes Dragon Quest and stuff, and published Star Ocean and such. Nothing to do with FF. If you don't like the direction it's going, call it a coincidence, and yell at Square.

But there is a significant difference between FF games before and after the "Enix Era". FFX and FFXII are not the same kind of game. The first is RPG like all the previous FF and the last is an action RPG, like FFX-2 and most FF for DS and PSP. The only traditional FF games Enix has made are FFI PSP, FFII PSP, FFIII DS, FFIV DS GBA, FFV GBA and no other. The only traditional FF games Enix has made are remakes of old FF games. Nothing new. All the new games they make have different battle system and different philosophy. I don't think they can be called "Final Fantasy".

What do you think? Shouldn't Enix let FF as they were in FFX? Like many other companies do (Pokemon, Dungeons and Dragons, etc) that they don't change their traditional games? Revolution is not alway good, is it?

PS: Take FFCC Wiware: My Life is as a King on Wii. IS THIS FINAL FANTASY? No it isn't!!!!!

YES IT IS, IT IS FINAL FANTASY!

-stops shouting-

You have your Fantasy elements, i.e Chocobos, recurring Cid's, big storylines, likeable storylines, same magic, recurring monster names, plenty of relevances.

Big deal, so the battle system isn't the same. How is Final Fantasy going to advance with the same old stuff?

If it was having such a BAD effect, then please explain why the games still sell millions of copies, and please fans worldwide. If there was a decline in quality, a REAL decline, you'd notice the games selling far less then previous titles.

So there's differences. How long did you really expect the series to go through no major changes?

With Pokemon games and D+D, I'm guessing there's no other real way to have a successful battle system change without altering things too much.

At least with XII, you could do stuff like in past previous FF games, just not the style we've been used to.

..been a while since I ranted. Ahhhhhh..

Red_Mage has the right of it...And, btw, X-2 was made before the merger...It was only the NA and other regional versions that were later published under Square-Enix (basically they just changed the starting & box logos).

Both companies use thier own development teams. Until they actually work together on something, you can't say that Enix has had a negative impact on Square's products. And guess what happened the one time people from Square AND Enix's development teams DID come together...CHRONO TRIGGER!!! That's what. Now quitcherunfoundedbitchin.

i'm pretty sure they've kept the development teams apart from each other after the merger. correct me if i'm wrong, but the merger was just a business transaction and i don't believe it's had an effect on the games.

however, i will say that the battle system for FFXII was by far the worst in the series. However, the story was one of the best. The character development was terrible but the graphics and cutscenes were absolutely spectacular.

I'm not sure if FFX was made before or after the merger, but it was quite the opposite. the battle system was suberb (one of the best in my opinion) and the character development was amazing (who didn't feel heartbreak at then end?). The storyline was a bit splotchy but the graphics and cutscenes were pretty good.

i'm not even gonna talk about FFX-2. I will say that the gameplay was iffy and the storyline was severely lacking.

As far as the comment on the changing of the battle system that someone made earlier...they have to change the battle system. ATB gets old fast. i mean, i've been playing through anthology (my first time) and let me tell you, it's some of the slowest shit ever (even with the speed turned all the way up). New battle systems keeps the series fresh.

and the comment about reclining sales. that's bullshit. final fantasy has such a hardcore following. you don't see fairweather fans. it's either you've played more than 3 of em, or just FFVII, or none at all. The crowd that keeps the cash coming in is the first. even if a final fantasy sucks hardcore, sales won't ever drop very far.

sorry for the long post.

I liked the series a lot better before Enix...BUT I still found entertainment in FFXII, just not as much as the others.

One things for sure though, Enix has helped the FF series gain 5x the amount of money it had before...and that's just with one game, FFXI. Imagin the millions of players, $14 a month ( a lot have more characters and pay $20 a month) plus the fact that each of those millions of players spent around $100 for the game itself...thats quite some cash on a monthly bases.

That is one of the reasons I'm so psyched about FFXIII, they've got more money then they know what to do with so they can go to any expense to make these new games as great as possible.

Uh, FFXI, like FFX-2, was already developed & published by Square prior to the merger...It was only the NA & other regional versions that were later published under the merged company name Square-Enix. The same is true with FFTA, Unlimited Saga, & FFOrigins.

But there is a significant difference between FF games before and after the "Enix Era". FFX and FFXII are not the same kind of game. The first is RPG like all the previous FF and the last is an action RPG

Kingdom hearts is an action RPG and i dont think there are many haters, it was an epic game!

Kingdom Hearts was Square prior to the merger (it wasn't even later published under the Square-Enix name...)...>_> Does no one else know how to use Wikipedia?

List of Square games

List of Square-Enix games

and, why not...?

List of Enix games

Your a tool, dont act high and mighty cos i was simply saying square enix OR square alone can successfully make action RPG's with a good storyline that please the crowd.

And NO i DONT know how to use wikipedia.....its so hard....maybe wrte a tutorial?

kthxbye

Mod Edit: Please refrain from calling anyone a tool or any other name. He has explained himself in the post under this one, so we will drop the argument now. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa there turbo...I just thought you were saying that Kingdom Hearts was an example of a good Square-Enix produced game...You were kind of vague in your post, y'know? I wasn't really berating you or anything...I really just used it as an excuse to post the links to the lists so that no one else will be further confused about what games came out by which company...not that it matters, like has been said, because both companies have always had their own separate development teams...

Sorry if I misinterpreted! V_V

I wouldn't say that the decline of the series has been down to the Enix merger. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that alot of the old FF team have now moved on to other things, or have a lesser role in the games development that has seen it go down a lot.

i'm pretty sure they've kept the development teams apart from each other after the merger. correct me if i'm wrong, but the merger was just a business transaction and i don't believe it's had an effect on the games.

however, i will say that the battle system for FFXII was by far the worst in the series. However, the story was one of the best. The character development was terrible but the graphics and cutscenes were absolutely spectacular.

I'm not sure if FFX was made before or after the merger, but it was quite the opposite. the battle system was suberb (one of the best in my opinion) and the character development was amazing (who didn't feel heartbreak at then end?). The storyline was a bit splotchy but the graphics and cutscenes were pretty good.

i'm not even gonna talk about FFX-2. I will say that the gameplay was iffy and the storyline was severely lacking.

As far as the comment on the changing of the battle system that someone made earlier...they have to change the battle system. ATB gets old fast. i mean, i've been playing through anthology (my first time) and let me tell you, it's some of the slowest shit ever (even with the speed turned all the way up). New battle systems keeps the series fresh.

and the comment about reclining sales. that's bullshit. final fantasy has such a hardcore following. you don't see fairweather fans. it's either you've played more than 3 of em, or just FFVII, or none at all. The crowd that keeps the cash coming in is the first. even if a final fantasy sucks hardcore, sales won't ever drop very far.

sorry for the long post.
Sorry but FFXII's story was terrible. Please don't try to feed me any bullshit that it is mature, I am mature. I can differentiate between a boring story and a mature story, FFXII is the former.
And I really couldn't care if the graphics are amazing, they don't compensate for the lack of story and character development.

Big deal, so the battle system isn't the same. How is Final Fantasy going to advance with the same old stuff?
Firstly things don't have to change, it's not as if the ATB or the STB that came before were outdated or didn't work well.
So, we therefore we reach the conclusion change wasn't needed. Perhaps they want a whole new image.
Regardless, why bother to change, as the change is only likely to alienate fans.

Personally I like FFXII less than any other FF. However it would be premature to condem Enix. I'll reserve my judgement until FFXIII.

i agree that enix has somewhat wrecked ff.... . in truth ive barely thought about the impact enix has had on it up until now, but bazola its true! with the exception of CC (IMO) the 7 spin offs and 12 werent up to par.

but great point grey fox, hopefully they pour mega mega mega bucks into 13, and it is so full of content and side missions and an incredibly indepth plot, battle system, world and characters! .........but that would be pretty contrary to 12 now wouldnt it :S fingers crossed folks, otherwise i will weep as it will be unlikely that we will ever see a game of the quality of the golden age ffs

The problem of Enix is that they don't want to do better game, but game that do more money. Yes, they do it, but I'd have preferred if the series was finished with the X, rather than continue with game every time worst.

Enix don't to my knowledge have any control over how the Final Fantasy series goes forward because as some people have already stated despite now being one company the development teams are still separate. If you want to blindly moan at someone blame the Square half.

Back