Been a really long time... Just wondering how things are.

I can from experience say that getting through ARR from scratch is possible in about a fortnight, depending on the hours you put in of course I was doing about 4 hours a day, providing you stay focused on the story only doing side stuff to meet the story level caps. I moved about 2 month ago from Phoenix to Lamia to join this group.

Oddly I feel much better for it and have just started going off to do other things, like building my Conjurer and Crafting classes. Gear progress is pretty steady and the upgrades are average at 5 levels so as long as you keep checking shops you'll be fine. The added advantage is now that 2.1 to 2.4 gives the ilvl90 gear during the story, before Heavensward we wound up having to grind for this gear! And by grind I mean run endgame content for poetics that was then traded in for this gear then run a bit more to get the final upgraded version. This is no longer the case and this gear will pretty much see you nicely into Heavensward if that's your long term plan.

I like others was not one for monthly MMO I played the FFXIV beta and always intended to return but had issues with paying to play, thankfully I got over that and have now been on FF14 for almost a year. Also as your a legacy player I believe there is a freebie involved but you'd have to look into how to get this.

Well thanks everyone. :) I've made some character and am now at the decision point of Marauder or Gladiator, which is the best all->around tank?

Edit : Omg, if I make a marauder, can I still make him in to a lancer? I jus tlooked at the job photos and the guy I picked looks unblievably amazing but I'm sure there are so many people that want to dps and I just want to play. :D

Edit : Omg, if I make a marauder, can I still make him in to a lancer? I jus tlooked at the job photos and the guy I picked looks unblievably amazing but I'm sure there are so many people that want to dps and I just want to play. :D

Yea once you hit a certain level and poin t in the story you can change class to anything else in the game. Except the 3 from Heavensward as you have to wait til you get there.

All classes and jobs are viable in their own way. The good thing about FFXIV as mentioned, is the flexibility it allows your single character to have. For example, I started off as an Arcanist (pet summoning DoTs class) and upgraded to Summoner, then jumped ship to Scholar (healer job). At least until the expansion raised the level cap to 60, I also had White Mage and Black Mage levelled up and geared as well.

Regarding your original question about best all round tank, I don't really think there is one that is egregiously better or worse than the other. They're all balanced to be viable and with their own playstyles, unique strengths and weaknesses, so a Paladin will be operating with a considerably different toolbox kit than a Warrior or Dark Knight. You will likely want both Marauder and Gladiator sufficiently levelled up at some point if you're still interested in a tank role, because there are important cross-class abilities. Any good Marauder/Warrior would need Provoke from Gladiator, for instance.

You have all these questions about the game, which is nice, but right now you are in the extremely early stages of the game and if I were you, I would just try to do X amount of fetch quests a day. All my friends here were ahead of me (I only started in May or so) and got to Heavensward around end of June/beginning of July. It is a excruciating process. So many damn fetch quests can put you off the game very easily. Trust me though; the endgame is where everything starts to shine. By the time you get through the story, you will be familiar with your role and properly geared up for ARR endgame dungeons (because they patched this to make it easier). Since you have to complete EVERY single ARR quest including 2.0, if you do not play every day and do X amount of the story quests, which are honestly boring as hell, you will be there a long time. The benefit you have though is that you are not a dps, which makes dungeon runs easier to find for you. I did the story as THM/BLM, which means I had to wait a long time for dungeons because everyone plays dps, pretty much. If you really are serious about the game as I was, you will easily have a crazy amount of days play by the end of your Heavensward journey. Of course, I started in the summer, which means school was out; therefore, it was much easier for me to play a lot. :)

PS: Endgame Heavensward right now is exhausting as hell. The grind is real, and so is the grind to 60. It can EASILY burn you out if you are not occupied. If I am honest, I burnt myself out kind of, and well other issues arose which made me want to stop playing at the end of the summer (mostly school and stuff now). The great part about this game is that if you stay off it for a long time, new content will come through patches and it will feel like an all-new game again.

And how do I go about joining FCC FC/LS? :) Wont have a lot of time to play over the next few days but next week I will! I think. -_-

Well if you want to join our server and our FC/LS just let us know when you're gonna be on. We can send you the invites to both of them.

I'm logging on now. :)

Yori Moisan

I'll send you the invite very shortly. Thanks for your interest!

--EDIT--
Sent you the invite to the forum's Free Company. Look forward to seeing you in-game. :)

Thanks, says I don't have access to those yet. :P I suppose it's something I'll have to wait for, althoght I do see your invite in my chat log.

Also, how do I tell if it's main quest or side quest and how many side quests should I do if I already know if I want to level quite a few side characters eventually? Don't want to have to grind it all out lol.

Thanks, says I don't have access to those yet. :P I suppose it's something I'll have to wait for, althoght I do see your invite in my chat log.

Also, how do I tell if it's main quest or side quest and how many side quests should I do if I already know if I want to level quite a few side characters eventually? Don't want to have to grind it all out lol.
If it's a main story quest, the icon will have flames around it. It's rather obvious when you see it so you should be fine.

As far as I'm aware most of the side quests are more or less repeated in the different starting areas anyway, so you shouldn't limit yourself on the idea that you will be levelling a new class later on. That said, most of your experience comes from fates, dungeons, and main story quests anyway, so side stuff doesn't matter as much as you might think it does. It will be a grind no matter what :p

Well so far my journey has lasted a few hours, hit level 7!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/12703386/
Awesome! How are you liking it so far? Admittedly I don't know much about the original 1.0 release, but is it much different? Also feel free to message me in-game if you ever want help with anything. I have a lot of dead time these days... haha. My character's name is Keira Welch :) If you haven't got a recruitment code yet either I'm sure someone here can provide one (or even me). You get a bunch of stuff which will help you start off

I appreciate your offer! :) Can a Legacy memeber get a recruitment code? I don't have one!

I tried to add you, however it says player not found LOL!

Edit : Also, I went to bed around 11 and had an itch to play after some CSGO so I hit level 9! I'm in I think. :D

Alright, seeing as it's my first playthrough, do you guys recommend just getting a main to level cap and then leveling crafting so that I can play end game content or should I level primary and a few craftings at the same time? What's the best recommendation? XD

I would recommend focusing on the story first so that you start doing ex-primals and raids with us as a group, then do crafting afterwards. I didn't do it that way, of course! I think it took me over a year to finish ARR's story because I was so caught up with crafting and gathering. xD But it was worth it for me because that's what pulls me in the game. Well, that and social interaction with my friends here. =]

It's up to you though. If you really wanna start crafting and earning Gil on the side (you'll need Gil to repair your gear, for example, but easily attainable through story quests), crafting every now and then won't hurt - unless of course you get extremely addicted. Then it's a bit of a dilemma. Maybe unlock your job class (Warrior) first before you start crafting, at least? And unlock your retainers. Whatever you choose to do, we'll be here to support you!

Here's a thread that might help you a bit: http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/61540-FFXIV-Tips-and-Advice

^ This woman is addicted to crafting.

Addicted to crafting.

Addicted. To. Crafting.

How that is even possible, I still cannot fathom to this day. After my pointless grind of every one of my crafting levels to 53(?) uniformly, I would happily set my tools on fire. I bet she's addicted to scrips farming too, dear god.

If you want to get to endgame relatively quickly, I still wouldn't recommend a mad rush through the content. The journey up to endgame level is about getting you to slowly learn how to play your role, and how to play it well. When the expansion was still brand new content, there were plentiful complaints of Duty Finder being far much more a game of Russian Roulette than usual, because endgame was suddenly flooded with subpar, fresh level 50 players who could barely perform anywhere near decently at their roles, and made certain raids like The World of Darkness a nightmare.

And also because a mad rush through (often insipid) content may simply burn you out prematurely. I think it's good to vary your play, so you can mix in some casual gathering or crafting in between the leveling, the FedEx quests, and the dungeon runs. Treat your first level 50/60s as a journey and a learning experience rather than an obligation.

And if you don't fancy crafting to break up your game play, gathering can provide an enjoyable alternative! :britt:

Back