Not to bash FFVI, but...

Gavindale Marchovia

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I played Final Fantasy VI a while back, did get very far and was sidetracked. My question is this: Is this game really worth playing? I was on a forum where a player said that most of characters to play are weak and uninteresting. That worries me, because that means that unless I have these few, select characters, the game becomes mute, boring, and restricting. Can anyone shed light on this subject?

There are a lot of folks around that love it. I'm in the same boat as you. I started playing it and then kind of lost interest. I had trouble getting into it, tbh. I probably got about twelve hours in. :hmmm:

I've been wanting to pick it up and give it another shot since most people seem to love it but I haven't had time.

It's considered by many Finaru Fantaji fans to be the best game in the series. It has an ensemble cast, which means more characters, I think there's something like 12, which means there is less time to develop them. However, in FFs VII and VIII the characters other than the main two are underdeveloped, as is everyone in anything following X.
I would say it's well worth the effort. It's reallu surprising how Banon is the final boss.

It's my favorite in the whole series and always has been followed closely by IX. The characters do have fleshed out stories if you do the side missions and are very easy to relate to on many levels. Terra and Celes in my opinion are two of the best fleshed out characters in the series. Not to mention one of the best villains in the series, well the best villain if you ask me. Whoever said the characters were uninteresting needs a slap in the face because few in the series are as interesting as the main characters in VI. Not to mention I love the esper system. If you love FF games and VI bores you... Now I'm just lost for words.

See this is how FFVI breaks down, you have two parts of the game.

First half focus's on everyone slowly and introduces them nicely. The second half is when most of it is optional and might make the game seem "boring" since you really don't need to do anything after a certain point, and even if you do decide to do everything, it takes a while to get it all done. Even after that, you have no real objective minus a few people and minor hints on where to go, so yes it is up to you on what to do.

Me personally, I have always loved this game, and will replay it from time to time Also I feel like it could be one of the longest FF games if you do everything.

The thing with Final Fantasy VI's cast is that a handful are so overpowered, or more all-round useful, that others become somewhat unneeded unless in certain situations to almost unnecessary. Terra (High magic power and 'Morph'), Edgar (With 'Tools' he could be the only guy you really need), Sabin ('Blitz' covers quite a lot) and Shadow ('Throw' Shurikens and Scrolls) are the heavy hitters and if you've got them then the others don't seem so important.
Celes (Magic like Terra and 'Runic' is great for a few boss fights), Locke ('Steal'), Mog ('Dance' has some awesome effects) and Gau (Can be placed alongside the top 4 if 'Rage' is developed accordingly) are great in certain situations but can be easily left behind for the most of the game.
Cyan ('Bushido' isn't so great as the game progresses), Setzer ('Slots' is unreliable and pretty lame), Strago (Some great 'Lore' magics but nothing essential) and Relm (Best magic power but 'Sketch' is barely used at all) are let down either by their lackluster abilities or (in the case of Strago and Relm) come in later when they are already somewhat obsolete due to Terra, Celes and the amount of magic available via Magicite.

That is considering the player is using Magicite to teach everyone magic. If keeping your characters 'natural' then Celes' usefulness skyrockets as only she and Terra can learn magic via level up.

Umaro is a bit of a throwaway number as you can't outright control him but is also pretty strong and the even the Gods themselves cringe at a properly equipped Gogo.

I didn't play FF6 until about 2 years ago so I don't have that whole nostalgia for it. I do think it's a brilliant game though!

It took me a while before I got into it. Maybe 5-10 hours in? By the time the opera scene came around, I was hooked. And then the whole 2nd half of the game I found to be completely brilliant. Such a great change in gameplay from your typical FF narrative.

Yeah chalk up another vote from me for FFVI being awesome. Granted, it could at least partly be nostalgia speaking since I've been attached to it from a young age, but I thought it was the single best storyline and character development found in any game at the time it was released, period. FFIV started to grow in those ways (all versions prior you could basically see characters come and go without caring much), but VI was just such a leap that it really set itself apart. I didn't cry during the game (I swear!), but I sure could understand if some folks did. The scene with Cyan's family and train; Celes' struggle in the World of Ruin; Terra's inner conflict over her identity; Shadow's past, shrouded in mystery yet with enough pieces of the puzzle becoming visible to make you realize how much more there is to him than meets the eye. I could go on, but... I think you get the idea.

I'd highly recommend you stick with it and see if you get as hooked as I did!

The story is great and I'm so glad I got into it even 11 years or so after it was released. Sure graphics are sub-par for today's standards, but the character's backstories are probably top-4 in the series. (FFX, FFVII, FFXII)

You are given a lot of party members, but each one has their own secret past and why they are all brought together in this big ole melting pot of a crew. You literally have a character with each personality. Yeah the story may take a bit to get into, ut so did FFIX, and FFVIII (not knowing who the main villain was until end of the game). While it is an older story and takes time to develop and the World map isn't our 3D beauty it can be today, you get a Fantasy feel from the game, and to me, that's brownie points.

Give it a try. I stalled for a while after starting it, but am damn glad I finished it and am on my 2nd playthrough.

The person who told you final fantasy 6 had uninteresting and boring characters doesn't need to play final fantasy 6 ever again. Final Fantasy 6 had probably the best cast of characters in any final fantasy game I've played. Coupled with the Esper system it's a pure joy. Of course he was from *another* forum, so he/she is going to disagree possibly anyways. The backstories of each character are integrated seemlessly to bring out their personalities. That person clearly doesn't know what their talking about! If they had the patience to play the game they'd have more knowledge about what is going on around in the story.

Just take it like this, I was not a fan of the game but once I played it (cuz my sister forced me too) I was left with nothing but love for the characters and plotline. I don't like Terra that much but she is easily one of the best females in the franchise, but out of the game my favs are Edgar, Setzer, Locke and Kefka. The only thing that makes me dislike the game is the SNES graphics, the only game I like in those gfx is Mario and LoZ. If it were remade it would easily be one of my favorite games, though. definitely give it a go, man. don't let hatah's stop you

I liked the game almost straight away although i have twice now done exactly as you did and got sidetracked and played other things. i have never finished the game, although im going through it again now and i think i will this time. i love the atmosphere of the game. i feel a cosiness for a lot of the villages. especially zozo for some reason. the ghost train section is bloody awesome too. that said i dont really like kefka (maybe thats a good thing seeing as im going to kill him) to me his character should be a bit more developed.

I play FF VI (FF III US) when i'm 9 years old in SNES after FF AV (FF II US). That when i think FF IV were the best game ever, and FF VI really kick my a$$ telling me what a RPG should be. Honestly, it has the best gameplay, best storyline, best OST/music and even best artwork at that time! Each character have its own story and unique gameplay and keep us to levelling them because some dungeon urge the player to use more than 1 team.

I play FF VII, and find it's boring on my 20-30 hours playing and stops, i try to play FF VIII and didn't feels the FF sensations anymore, FF IX were the only exception i find it worth playing for FF :)

Outside FF, only Ar Tonelico i find it on par with FF VI.

FF VI is a great game. The dichotomy between the first and second halves of the game is amazing and unparalleled, Kefka is a supremely memorable villain, the music is god-tier and incredible, and it's just a fun, relatively quick romp with a huge amount of depth and hidden or optional content that had me playing three times straight through, which I almost never do with any game, let alone an RPG.

Back