Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
"Once upon a time ago, a Japanese company named Squaresoft made lots and lots of RPGs that people really really liked. Today, a Japanese company named Square Enix makes video games.

One of those games, an RPG called Bravely Default, sold a lot of copies both in Japan and in the west, which has made Square Enix realize something very important: people everywhere—not just in Japan—like Japanese role-playing games.

"Due to having split [the development mindset] according to regions around the world, we weren't able to see this clearly up until now, but fans of JRPGs are really spread around the world," Square Enix head honcho Yosuke Matsuda told Nikkei (as translated by Siliconera).

You'd think the worldwide success of all those other RPGs over the past two decades might have tipped them off, but hey. Never too late to change your ways. Now here's the money quote...

"For the new games we'll be developing from this point on," Matsuda said, "while this may sound a bit extreme, we've been talking about making them as heavy JRPGs. I believe that way, we can better focus on our target, which will also bring better results."

!!!!!!

ALL PRAISE SQUARE ENIX.

In other news, Matsuda says we might hear more about Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III at E3, if they're ready to talk about it then. Please be excited."

Source: Kotaku

Sounds like SE is really serious about their earlier statements. Let's hope they stick to it and go for the "extremes".

Could you please clarify what the definition of a "heavy JRPG" is when compared to a game that's classified as a JRPG without an attributive adjective?

Could you please clarify what the definition of a "heavy JRPG" is when compared to a game that's classified as a JRPG without an attributive adjective?

At least from what I think they mean... is less "action" orientated and more... "JRPG" feel to it... but to me that is more thinking like... Turn base rpg and etc...

But to me... I'm going say "i'll believe it when I see it". As long as it isn't Phone games and only hand held games... I want AAA RPG's on the future consoles.

Thanks Kirito for the ongoing update of articles based on the change of ideology in Square Enix.

What are your thoughts on the articles and statements? Can you expound further?
What Japanese traits are you expecting and or wanting to come back to JRPG's from Square Enix?

These questions are for everyone of course, not just Kirito.

In context, SE is referring to the worldwide success of Bravely Default. So that's basically the kind of game they mean by 'heavy JRPG'.

Thanks Kirito for the ongoing update of articles based on the change of ideology in Square Enix.

What are your thoughts on the articles and statements? Can you expound further?
What Japanese traits are you expecting and or wanting to come back to JRPG's from Square Enix?

These questions are for everyone of course, not just Kirito.

You're very welcome, I'm eager to see where it goes myself :)

It's hard to say how things will play out in the immediate future. Obviously SE has spent a LOT of time deciding on their direction for FFXV, so that will undoubtedly be the action game they planned on, and who knows what they've already decided upon for sequels. All we know is that they are most likely in the works. If SE is really having a change of heart, I think FFXV will really put a strain on things. They'd almost have to make a spinoff into a main series title all over again to bring back the 'heavy JRPG' aspect that FFXV and recent predecessors have moved away from. To some degree it depends on how FFXV sells and what kind of critical reception it gets. As it stands, SE will be comparing it to the likes of Bravely Default, FFX HD, and FFXIV:ARR. If those games universally perform better, we will probably see more good ol' JRPGs in the near future. Yes, it's true: after all this time, FFXV really needs to sell poorly for the sake of future FF games. The feelers are out there for both genres now. Whichever has stronger reception will get SE's attention.

As for what I hope we'll see in the future, I definitely want to see more turn-based combat. Bravely Default proves that there's still plenty to be done with that style, and FFXIV proves that it can be done fast and in real-time. Just bring back the minutae in general, for that matter. I want a full inventory, full shops to stock it from, and at least a superficial level of job control per character. More fantasy over science fiction would be welcome as well, but I'm not too picky in that regard.

Action or turn based I am content with either. I applaud SE for trying something different with games like FFXIII so I hope when they do this 'heavy JRPG' they don't scurry into a dark hole and refuse to try anything new out of fear from fan backlash.

I think the best way we all win is if SE makes a good FF game that has the core mechanics fans want but also makes it fresh and unique instead of doing the same thing over and over. I hope when they look back at all the previous Final Fantasy's they see the rich character development, story driven plots, and how the gameplay worked. I just hope they don't go "ok lets make a game like FFVII but don't stray off the path or fans will hate it". The worst thing is when a game company is afraid to try new things because it won't sell or they don't think fans want something different. I know I want a new experience. We all want a new experience but the important part is it is an experience done well.

Yes, it's true: after all this time, FFXV really needs to sell poorly for the sake of future FF games. The feelers are out there for both genres now. Whichever has stronger reception will get SE's attention.

That's not necessarily true. If they're making such a big deal over prioritizing the traditional JRPG--or "heavy" JRPG--then we can infer that regardless of how FFXV sells, JRPGs will be making some sort of comeback. FFs have always been evolving in terms of their combat system, and if FFXV were to be used as a template for future FFs, then it would perhaps lead to an amalgam of all the most popular aspects from varying systems both action and ATB-based. Likewise, the elements within FFXV could be unique to that game and its direct sequels. I don't think it's fair to place the fate of the entire franchise on the shoulders of a game we still know relatively little about. If anything, the commercial failure of the XIII trilogy should've prompted this JRPG revelation sooner, but that wasn't the case.

Furthermore, FFXV was never supposed to be a mainstream title. Once upon a time ago, it was Versus XIII and everything pertaining to it was supposed to be under the category of "spin-off". Most people back in those days saw it as the FF equivalent to KH--a more mature KH without the Disney elements. Regardless of how they're marketing it now, the fundamental reasons for why this game was created still remain the same. I don't think it's wise to suggest that the failure of XV will mean a revival of "old school" FFs. An assortment of different outcomes can result from XV's success or failure. Until we learn more about what SE intends to do with this new JRPG focus, I think we should leave out any polarizing rhetoric that may give people the wrong idea about how these future JRPGs will come into being.

Thanks for balancing me out @Mr. Revolution I actually agree with you. I intended to place more emphasis on how FFXV will place a strain on SE's new 'heavy JRPG' plans because of all their current projects it jives with it the least so far as combat is concerned. I will grant that for years now they've talked about the towns and open world FFXV will supposedly have, so there is still hope.

My fear is that FFXV will end up being really different from traditional JRPGs and sell like gangbusters and cause SE to draw back from rethinking their strategy.

My hope is that FFXV will end up being a great return to form (aside from the combat system, which we know won't be like classic FF) and sell like gangbusters so they'll be convinced that 'heavy JRPG' really is the way to go.

Saying it has to fail was a poor choice of words on my part.

I will definitely be interested to see more of FFXV at E3 in a couple months. I think this year will really shed a lot of light on the game for us, and perhaps SE's direction for the future in general.

They better show FFXV at E3 and contain a long demonstration of game-play, but.......I doubt that will happen. You never know though. A lot is riding on their future releases for AAA Final Fantasy. I'm in the same camp as you Kirito but I agree to the balance of Mr. Rev's input.
Final Fantasy XV may sell well and it could be a good game so I won't refute it yet. If XV does well I don't think it will abrogate the companies intentions based on the article. Game mechanics aside they realize that many people enjoy entertainment that is markedly Japanese, and that is an encouraging thought as Gandalf would say.

They better show FFXV at E3 and contain a long demonstration of game-play

Yosuke Matsuda (SE's CEO) said they hope to show off FFXV and KH3 at upcoming events like E3. Not set in stone, but it sounds quite likely. Hopefully we'll at least get enough to see how FFXV measures up in the 'heavy JRPG' department.

By "Heavy JRPG" i hope he means good stories, fun characters and turn-based ATB.

Back