Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
Discussed this with the staff a bit recently. Not sure if there's enough interest for this, but any input would be appreciated. Like previous Survivor events, flaming & trolling would still be allowed -- within limits. Since we had some complaints about the extremity of flaming last year, it was decided that any racial or prejudiced type comments (including towards mentally or physically handicapped) would not be allowed.

If there's still interest despite a few rules, then we will need a few volunteers yet again. Tia and I won't be able to take lead planning, and I don't think the rest of the staff have the time to fully flesh out the competitions. (Few of us would be able to help out with moving/deleting/stickying threads).

Preferably, the planners would need to come up with new competitions, and try to avoid recycling old competitions from last year. It's okay to recycle a few ones (with alternate versions), just not all.

Last but not least, if it's a go...when would you guys prefer to start this?

I'm interested in doing it, but not sure about helping run it. If nobody steps up to the plate I suppose I could, so color me grey for interested.

Is there enough activity going on in the forums to be able to warrant this? The Survivor series tends to kill activity if you take the more active posters and put them in the game.

Personally, I want nothing to do with it. But that's just something to consider.

...can't spoil my 100% attendance run now!

If we do it in June (please?! Why do people always want to run it during exam time when 99% of members here have exams?) then, for once, I could potentially help run it - playing the games is getting a bit stale for me; wouldn't mind a whack at running it.

I'd be willing to help out, if it needed it. Seems like an interesting thing to do.

Not sure if I'd enter this year though. Maybe if the numbers needed to be made.

Though, I'm with Davey on when it should be held: June seems like a much better time space to do it.

I suggest those willing to "run" it make sure they know what they're getting themselves in to. Just a friendly reminder. Those planning on running it, make sure you have a solid set of rules to go to avoid any "in-game" measures having to be taken. It's a hands on project as you guys know, so I figured I'd throw that out there. Make sure you know what you're dedicating yourself to from the beginning to the end. ;)

I also think two months in advance should at least be given to those planning it, to assure they have enough time.

I personally want nothing to do with Survivor, but I am available for closing, sticking and opening threads here and there on a daily basis.

I suggest those willing to "run" it make sure they know what they're getting themselves in to. Just a friendly reminder. Those planning on running it, make sure you have a solid set of rules to go to avoid any "in-game" measures having to be taken. It's a hands on project as you guys know, so I figured I'd throw that out there. Make sure you know what you're dedicating yourself to from the beginning to the end. ;)

I also think two months in advance should at least be given to those planning it, to assure they have enough time.

I personally want nothing to do with Survivor, but I am available for closing, sticking and opening threads here and there on a daily basis.
It's just entered my head now - I don't know why no one's done this before - but it might be useful for whoever does end up running it to write some kind of end-of-term report, including personal experiences, recommendations for future years, problems, positives etc. It might not prepare people for "running" it for the first time but we should probably start somewhere and set a precedence for future years. 7 years later, we should really be reviewing this thing...

It's just entered my head now - I don't know why no one's done this before - but it might be useful for whoever does end up running it to write some kind of end-of-term report, including personal experiences, recommendations for future years, problems, positives etc. It might not prepare people for "running" it for the first time but we should probably start somewhere and set a precedence for future years. 7 years later, we should really be reviewing this thing...

Agreed. I never wanna get in to Survivor too much, because I'm not a fan of pointless flaming. :lew: However, having a review system and a solid "end results" system is something that I think should've been there from the get go. The review system Dave mentions really allows people to give their opinions and give constructive feedback on what they'd like to say in the future years, and what they'd like to see be done less. This way more people get interested in entering because their opinions are "heard". Having the same thing over and over can be fun, but there's always room for improvements, and maybe even replacements.

I think it's a good idea to get this going, because we may as well make it fun for the members that are around, that's the whole point isn't it? That's why I suggested dedicated runners. I've told Staff as well, last year was a bit messy so those running just gotta be on the same page.

Maybe the admins can set up a little discussion forum for the people running Survivor. ;)

Yeah part of the messy bit last year was the "runners" work schedules. We were hardly all on at the same time if something arose.

Just to be clear: I want nothing to do with planning this thing again.

But if you guys are wanting any personal experiences from me or what I think could've been done better, etc, feel free cause I could write a fucking novel on that topic. :lew:

I'll go ahead and throw a sticky in the shoutbox, maybe more people will notice.

Who's interested in the planning so far? :hmmm:

It all depends on the numbers and stuff, but I'd like to participate. Running things may not be possible this year...I don't work from home anymore :(

What actually is​ it?

Survivor is a competition where about...15 people are locked in a unique portion of the forum for a couple of weeks. You all complete challenges in teams. The losing teams lose a member each, each time. Once there are only about 3 members left, you go all against all and take on the final challenge. This is how it worked the last two years anyway.

There's a prize for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place I think.

Can the people who ran it last year not be considered to run it this year. The words job, piss, and poor, come to mind.
We also need new challenges. There's been 6 or 7 equally dull post co-ordinations and everyone knows how to do it by now.
The picture relay is shit.
So is the one where you have to look through the forum for stuff.
Also the rules of everything, that includes the new watered down rules so that people don't get offended, need to be clearly stated.

I will participate.

Can the people who ran it last year not be considered to run it this year.
no worries there. :dave:
Also the rules of everything, that includes the new watered down rules so that people don't get offended, need to be clearly stated.
That wasn't a consideration last year, to be honest. Speaking personally, I knew that if flaming was allowed (as it is every year), it was gonna be pretty rough to say the least. But I didn't think it'd go that far and once it did I was incredibly uncomfortable watching it happen. I'll admit to taking it personal because I take care of my nephew who is Autistic and I can't take it when someone picks on someone else because of their disability.

Long story short: disability wasn't a concern until it was brought to our attention.

Back