Gender in Gaming

When given the choice I prefer playing as a male. I have to really dislike the male designs on offer to be swayed into playing female. Currently I'm a female on FFXIV because I strongly disliked the male designs other than the cat guys who were far too short, so I decided to pick the highlander female and made her 6'2". I do like playing as females but I don't like having to suspend my disbelief when so called strong female leads punch their way through scores of fully grown men in an otherwise plausible scenario simply because developers are being coerced by certain types into creating this self indulgent nonsense to appease them. That's not to say I demand my male characters brutish and my females seductive, but it would be nice to play as characters who don't feel as though they've been designed with an agenda in mind and these days I do find myself preferring to play as the stereotypical brute males and oversexed females because it's refreshing to get away from the pandering.

I feel like there's no rhyme or reason as to why I choose a gender when given the option. In Mass Effect, I played through the first time as mShep. When I replay, I almost always choose mShep. I've actually only finished one play through as femShep.

When playing MMOs though, I nearly always choose female characters. Not sure why. Perhaps it's that I like customizing their appearance to try to match mine? I've always been curious as to whether people interact with you differently based on your avatar. I hear that they do but I've never experienced it.

I admit there are games where I usually pick all male party members on my front-line or as the main character. I mean looking at FFXIII-2 I really had no choice and had to pick a female, haha, but i usually pick a character that best resembles "me".

Games like FFXIII i did include Fang in my main party, FFX - Yuna, and back in the FFVI days, I ran with Celes as a power hitter for me. I don't completely go away from the opposite gender characters, but I'm a dude, so I usually best relate to male party members in the lead.

It varies from game to game for me and whatever I feel like. More often than not however I find myself playing as a male if I ever get the option to do so when creating a character. With FFXI and FFXIV being the best examples since those are MMOs my FFXI character is male while FFXIV character is female. What I don't understand however are the people out there who are against anyone NOT playing as their original gender. If the game give you the option to play as whichever then play as whatever you want to play as. Considering that there are a lot of people who do it I really don't see the issue. Just do what I do and assume that everyone is male until proven otherwise. It's that simple. So to bump this up a bit ask everyone the same question.

Do you care about what gender someoneplays as even if it's not their original gender? (Male > Female, Female > Male)

It varies from game to game for me and whatever I feel like. More often than not however I find myself playing as a male if I ever get the option to do so when creating a character. With FFXI and FFXIV being the best examples since those are MMOs my FFXI character is male while FFXIV character is female. What I don't understand however are the people out there who are against anyone NOT playing as their original gender. If the game give you the option to play as whichever then play as whatever you want to play as. Considering that there are a lot of people who do it I really don't see the issue. Just do what I do and assume that everyone is male until proven otherwise. It's that simple. So to bump this up a bit ask everyone the same question.

Do you care about what gender someoneplays as even if it's not their original gender? (Male > Female, Female > Male)

I honestly couldn't careless what gender somebody plays as in a video game. How is it even a big deal? Just play the game and have fun FFS.
I mean damn, if that's the case then there's alot of games out there that men shouldn't play because the female is the lead/main character, right? :ffs:

Back