Article: FFXV far in development, no current plans for FFXII HD and FFX-3 is NOT in development

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[13/02] FFXV far in development, no current plans for FFXII HD and FFX-3 is NOT in development

ku-xlargevgeo5.jpg

Yoshinori Kitase has been quoted to say that FFXV is "quite far into development now and it is being given a very high priority within the company itself, but that doesn't mean Kingdom Hearts isn't". Both games are simultaneously in development across two cities in Japan (FFXV in Tokyo and KHIII in Osaka), are in different stages of development and neither are competing or consuming the resources of the other.

Though the name has been changed to FFXV, stresses Kitase, it is not jettisoning the core of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology that the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy and Final Fantasy Type-0 have adhered to, albeit interpreted by their respective writers in different ways.

"Right from the start when we first it announced it as Versus XIII, the game itself was backed up by the same Crystal legend: the Fabulla Nova Crystallis mythology that underpins the whole of the XIII series," adds Kitase.

"So even though it's not necessarily the same universe or the same game, they're all linked and underpinned by the backdrop of that legend. Now it's moved on - obviously the title's been changed to Final Fantasy XV - but that hasn't actually changed. The story and the world is still going to be linked and backed up by that. So yes, there is the link between XIII and XV, and they both share that mythology as a backdrop and a starting point."

Final Fantasy lately has been known for dynamic re-imaginings of battle systems from game to game, and Kitase has hinted at the possibility of revisiting older battle system ideas, adapting them and building upon elements of them for future installments.

"In a way there is stuff from the past that we've done in previous Final Fantasies that may come in handy, that we may adapt or reuse or recreate for a future [title]," Kitase continued.

"In the first two of the XIII series you had the Paradigm Shift system with AI controlled teammates which lends itself very well to having lots of characters. Or maybe having even deeper customisation, something that harks back to say the Gambit System in Final Fantasy XII. All those kind of ideas, it doesn't necessarily [mean] that something that we've used before is now invalid and can't be used, there's certainly a possibility of taking it and bringing it back. But I think it's going to be those kind of changes that the technology allows that we're going to have to maybe think and adapt for."

With the benefit of PS4 and Xbox One power, he added, "[H]aving a lot more characters, a lot more things happening, that's one of the things that the new hardware does really well, so to maybe make a battle system for a Final Fantasy game or a future game that fits with that, I think it would be quite good to have more characters for the player to control and more participants in the battle."

VideoGamer via NeoGAF

------------------------------

ffxii-piano-collectiovzizi.jpg

Next we come to an interview by the folks of SGCafe who participated in a group media interview session with Square's Senior Executive Managing Officer Shinji Hashimoto and the infamous Motomu Toriyama in Singapore.

FFXII HD as it seems, is currently not in development, nor are there any concrete present plans to produce one.

SGCafe: Producer Yoshinori Kitase has previously expressed interest in releasing an HD remastered version of Final Fantasy XII for the PS3 and PS Vita, if Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster did well in sales. From the looks of it, the game is doing very well in sales over in Japan where it was released back in December. And it’s likely to do well too in the rest of the world when it comes out later this year. Do you think we can expect some good news in the near future for an HD release of Final Fantasy XII?

Hashimoto: At this moment, we do not have any plans [to release a HD remastered version of Final Fantasy XII. But as Kitase-san has mentioned, if there are a lot of requests from the fans for a HD remastered version of Final Fantasy XII, we might consider it.

SGCafe via NeoGAF

---------------------------

final_fantasy_x_hd_0248ehv.jpg

So what about that potential Final Fantasy X-3? Surely the content of the novella FFX-2.5 and the existence of a 30-minute audio drama with new characters and the herald of another threat to the Eternal Calm points to yet another entry into the FFX universe?

But Hashimoto says no.

SGCafe: In Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, there is a 30-minute-long audio episode included in which Auron’s daughter meets Tidus. What was the intention with including this audio episode, and might it possibly lead to a Final Fantasy X-3?

Hashimoto:
That’s not really our intentions with including the audio episode. Since we’re revisiting Final Fantasy X and X-2, which were released about 10 years ago, the series’ scenario writer Kazushige Nojima and character designer Tetsuya Nomura had a discussion and thought that the HD Remaster release would be a good opportunity for them to include this additional story episode [and expand upon the univese a little further]. But the audio episode’s inclusion wasn’t because we have any plans to develop a Final Fantasy X-3.

SGCafe via NeoGAF

Yeah, and XIII-2 was only going to be wrapped up by DLC. I'll believe there won't be a X-3 when I...er, don't see it.

Sad to hear about XII. Honestly I wish they'd just put it on PSN as a PS2 classic--that would be plenty good enough for me. The game already supports widescreen and looks great for its time, so I wouldn't mind it not being HD.

this is exactly why i didn't want this game to be named XV, because its still under XIII in a sense. either way....Kitase has really dropped the ball recently, we dont want to hear Kitase talk about XV, we want Nomura. and of course he has to add that "Kingdom hearts 3 is still in development" we get it, but one was officially confirmed earlier, and that was versus XIII/XV. you dont have to clarify, especially since it was confirmed Versus would come first.

I honestly don't see much of a problem.

Type-0 has managed to tell its own story with barely the Fal'Cie, L'Cie and Focus thing that was all over FFXIII. FFXV can easily water down the FNC elements as much as possible, or even interpret the mythology in a certain way for its story that it's wildly different to what Toriyama and Watanabe knocked together.

Yeah...but still considered "under" XIII. meaning the story roots from XIII which is a shame. many people clamour to the idea of Final fanyasy VII being directly ripped off of VI, but imagine how disapointing it is that if it was confirmed true.

either way.... Watanabe did a good job and even he wants to branch away from the FNC. oh well...lets see where this goes...i really dont want a lightning reference in this game.

I don't see a problem with the basic mythology being the same. It's not like older FF games haven't shared certain aspects in the past. FFXV is also going back to the whole powerful-crystal-storyline that a few other FF have had, but nobody seems to mind that. Heck, FFXII was set in the same world as Tactics which wasn't even a numbered title. I really can't see how sharing a mythology with another FF game is going to be an issue at all. From what's been said, FFXV wasn't ripped off of FFXIII, more like they liked the mythology idea they had and decided that they could spin it in different ways for different worlds and different stories, so decided to do that.

As for FFX-3. I am pretty relieved that there won't be another one. Because I was pretty worried with the way the story seemed to be going.

I don't see a problem with the basic mythology being the same. It's not like older FF games haven't shared certain aspects in the past. FFXV is also going back to the whole powerful-crystal-storyline that a few other FF have had, but nobody seems to mind that. Heck, FFXII was set in the same world as Tactics which wasn't even a numbered title. I really can't see how sharing a mythology with another FF game is going to be an issue at all. From what's been said, FFXV wasn't ripped off of FFXIII, more like they liked the mythology idea they had and decided that they could spin it in different ways for different worlds and different stories, so decided to do that.

As for FFX-3. I am pretty relieved that there won't be another one. Because I was pretty worried with the way the story seemed to be going.
again...the idea is again "under" XIII. is it getting repitive? maybe because you're missing the point. i still prefer this to be Versus XIII, i refuse to have a next numbered game directly connected to the same mythos. and trust me, each FF numbered game has had a different mythos. easter eggs and staples? sure. but still, XV still runs on the idea that it originated from XIII's mythos.

as for an X-3...Nojima is just a scenario writer. he probably wrote certain scenarios and him wanting a X-3 is probably not enough for even the fanbase to get back on. Kitase has to be on top of it and nomura again for designing. personally not looking forward to the audio drama..but whatever....

I'm not missing your point, I just don't agree with it. The reason they disconnected it from XIII was because it is an entirely new world, new story, new characters. It's entirely unrelated. I don't see how having the same Gods makes it any more connected than having the Crystals mythology makes it connected to FFI III, IV or V. They disconnected Agito and Type 0 as well.

I'm not missing your point, I just don't agree with it. The reason they disconnected it from XIII was because it is an entirely new world, new story, new characters. It's entirely unrelated. I don't see how having the same Gods makes it any more connected than having the Crystals mythology makes it connected to FFI III, IV or V. They disconnected Agito and Type 0 as well.

Type 0 didn't have anything to do with it. But Kitase here is saying that the series is still XIII related, not FNC related.

Type 0 didn't have anything to do with it. But Kitase here is saying that the series is still XIII related, not FNC related.

No he's not, perhaps you misread but what he said was:
"Right from the start when we first it announced it as Versus XIII, the game itself was backed up by the same Crystal legend: the Fabulla Nova Crystallis mythology that underpins the whole of the XIII series,"
"So even though it's not necessarily the same universe or the same game, they're all linked and underpinned by the backdrop of that legend."

He's saying that the only thing linking the games together is the FNC mythology (including Type 0 and Agito who also share that mythos).

you're a sentence short. either way...their connected, and i prefer no connection at all. but we'll see how much Xv actually makes use of the Mythos. if its not noticeable, i'll enjoy it, if it shows scenes with Bunivelze, Etro, and other gods, all at once, i'm going to be sick.

you're a sentence short. either way...their connected, and i prefer no connection at all. but we'll see how much Xv actually makes use of the Mythos. if its not noticeable, i'll enjoy it, if it shows scenes with Bunivelze, Etro, and other gods, all at once, i'm going to be sick.

Are you talking about this one: "The story and the world is still going to be linked and backed up by that. So yes, there is the link between XIII and XV, and they both share that mythology as a backdrop and a starting point." which even further proves my point that no, FFXV is not connected to XIII, it's connected to the FNC mythology, same as Agito and Type 0 neither of which have XIII in their name.

What is it that you dislike about the mythology anyway? On its own without XIII's story attached? I mean, it's a fairly basic concept on its own. What is there to like or dislike? What is there to make you sick? It's the story and the world that has development, and we haven't seen any of that yet. It's really no different to the crystal concept that has been in previous FF games that is also going to be in this one.

Are you talking about this one: "The story and the world is still going to be linked and backed up by that. So yes, there is the link between XIII and XV, and they both share that mythology as a backdrop and a starting point." which even further proves my point that no, FFXV is not connected to XIII, it's connected to the FNC mythology, same as Agito and Type 0 neither of which have XIII in their name.

What is it that you dislike about the mythology anyway? On its own without XIII's story attached? I mean, it's a fairly basic concept on its own. What is there to like or dislike? What is there to make you sick? It's the story and the world that has development, and we haven't seen any of that yet. It's really no different to the crystal concept that has been in previous FF games that is also going to be in this one.

the fact that the GODS have been done to DEATH now. WE're just getting FFX/X-2 the entire XIII series revolved around the gods, and we even get to see Bunivelze himself, in what Lightning Returns occasionally refers to as "God" and no, not "a god", as in "God" the christian one. and just how the gods play so much in FF when they didn't so much in the past.

Crystal Concept is only part of it, the lore is what i'm worried about, and if it gets that same convoluted crap we had to deal with over 3-games, i'm not interested. i dont give a damn about what you think about my opinion, because quite frankly i'm sick of having to give an answer to what should already be fairly obvious. so, go ahead and have the last word, but i dont really need to justify what i've been saying for the past few months.

YOU KNOW WHY. SO DONT ASK ME.

FFX and X-2 don't have Gods in them. Bunivelze is not the Christian God, it's a whole different mythology. I just get the feeling that you are determined to hate everything and anything that has the slightest connection to the FFXIII series. I understand your hatred for XIII, I hated it too, but to hate on something you've seen barely anything of yet? This mythology is only the base of the game, there is no reason to think it would be anything like the XIII games, for starters it's been written and created by pretty much an entirely different team.

FFX and X-2 don't have Gods in them. Bunivelze is not the Christian God, it's a whole different mythology. I just get the feeling that you are determined to hate everything and anything that has the slightest connection to the FFXIII series. I understand your hatred for XIII, I hated it too, but to hate on something you've seen barely anything of yet? This mythology is only the base of the game, there is no reason to think it would be anything like the XIII games, for starters it's been written and created by pretty much an entirely different team.

you have not played FFX at all....

yes LR spoilers but yes Bunivelze is the cristian God. all the implications are there. but if you dont know dont say.

and who was looking for versus XIII more than anyone else? me...so drop it...

what ticks me off is how a new numbered game is based from.an older project under xiii. dont drop it? ill keep on biting. so bring it. not in the mood for this crap. but if you are ill oblige.

I have played FFX more than any other FF game. There are no mentions of any God or Gods in either X or X-2.

Bunivelze cannot be the Christian God. He has a mother, he did not make humans or the world, there are many other reasons he can't be the Christian God.

Once again, XV is not based on XIII, both XV and XIII are based on the FNC mythology, but they are not based on each other. There's a difference.

I have played FFX more than any other FF game. There are no mentions of any God or Gods in either X or X-2.

Bunivelze cannot be the Christian God. He has a mother, he did not make humans or the world, there are many other reasons he can't be the Christian God.
He was making the new world in LR:FFXIII and again constant reference to him being "God" in general. they rarely referred to him with his name Bunivelze. the God in X is SIN

Once again, XV is not based on XIII, both XV and XIII are based on the FNC mythology, but they are not based on each other. There's a difference.
i'm angry that XV is a numbered title but still connected to another project based on XIII. i prefer every numbered game to be individual, and not based on another project. the only time that happen was when Final fantasy IV and V developing simultaneously although IV originally being meant to be on NES and V being on the SNES. the NES IV was cancelled but the Final Fantasy V on SNES was still being made (ultimately taking the name "IV" because its predecessor was cancelled)

so despite that, they were still two different projects. i'll give it a chance, but it still bothers me, and it should.

Sin is not a God, Sin is an armour, a weapon. Referring to Bunivelze as simply God doesn't make it the Christian one, to be the Christian God it would need to follow Christian mythos, which it does not. The Christian God also has a name (Jehova) but people tend to just refer to it as God for the same reason - there is no other so there is no need to specify.

I wouldn't say it 'should' bother you, but your opinions are your own. I just hope that when the game comes out people judge it for its own story and development and not because it is based on the same mythos as the XIII series was.

Sin is not a God, Sin is an armour, a weapon. Referring to Bunivelze as simply God doesn't make it the Christian one, to be the Christian God it would need to follow Christian mythos, which it does not. The Christian God also has a name (Jehova) but people tend to just refer to it as God for the same reason - there is no other so there is no need to specify.

I wouldn't say it 'should' bother you, but your opinions are your own. I just hope that when the game comes out people judge it for its own story and development and not because it is based on the same mythos as the XIII series was.
SIn is being worshipped, and has a religion behind him. they treat him as a god.

But regardless, you don't need "christian" mythos to be referring to the same Christian god. and i can explain it carefully but i would have to bring in spoilers, but all that is needed is that Bhunivelze was creating the new world (with an entirely new mythos that will go with it), you don't need to have any reference to the christian mythos in order to be sure its him.

and finally we can drop it

Back