Nintendo Question for everyone with a Nintendo Wii U

Jdeadevil

Blue Mage
Gil
Hey guys, just looking for some buying advice. Wanted to see what some people here thought. I originally got a Nintendo Wii U because the selection of games for the next generation consoles isn't enough to make me want to get a PS4 just yet, and I thought it would be more laid back and cheaper to get back into Nintendo as I remember spending countless hours on Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports, the whole thing was addictive and didn't stress me out as much as games on the PC and PS3 did. Though I played "New Super Mario Bros. U" and saw the trailer for "Super Mario 3D World" and I don't quite feel like I got what I expected, light-hearted fun with characters I liked. The trial and error game-play design really annoys me in Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario 3D World looks like more of that but in a different shape universe. It made me start wondering if I should be kicking myself for not buying a PS4 instead. Because I know Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are going to be on the Nintendo 3DS.

I don't know, I'm confused about it all, need convincing reasons to keep my Nintendo Wii U, maybe if anybody can recommend some cool games for it? I hate selling on eBay, but I also hate swapping cables at the back of my TV when owning multiple consoles (I don't at the moment).

Thanks guys..

If you like Nintendo games, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. Keep it, but if you want a third party system, then Nintendo Wii-U probably isn't your choice.

Like if you wanna play games by Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom... Ect... They are making games for Sony and Xbox.

Personally, I would recommend keeping that WiiU. Aside from the games that are expected to come out later for it, like Mario Kart 8 and Smah Bros. 4, I think that 2013 brought it a LOT of great titles worth looking into, even if its library is still smaller than we anticipated.

I've picked up Super Mario 3D World, and I feel it's far from trial-and-error gameplay. Given the 3D view, it's easy to see most of what obstacles are up ahead, and you have plenty of time to react to them. Admittedly, I almost wanted to pass up on this title, but whenever I realized how creative and fun it was, I had a blast. Interesting level design, fun new power ups, chaotic but less frustrating multiplayer, and GORGEOUS music. It's also got a bunch of minor touches that give it more personality, like characters having different abilities and small bits of humor sprinkled throughout the game. The gameplay itself isn't much different than you'd expect out of Mario, but it's one of the most charming games I've played this year.

Aside from that, Wonderful 101 is simply wonderful- developed by the minds behind Viewtiful Joe and a whole bunch of other highly acclaimed action games, it's even more creative and charming, full of cheesy dialogue and crazy combat, and absolutely over-the-top. The controls do create a certain ceiling of adjustment that may turn you away from enjoying the game, but if you take the time to learn them- which you can test yourself by downloading the demo, by the way- it becomes extremely fun.

The last big title I could give such a strong, personal recommendation to is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Yeah, it's a remake of a Wii game, but the remake adds so much that I think it's worth looking into whether or not you've played Monster Hunter Tri. The appeal of Monster Hunter- fighting absurdly powerful monsters with weighty but responsive controls, fighting creatures that you have a fair shot against yet are heavily outmatched by, with friends online or alone- is tense and satisfying. It is technically a grindy game, as you're essentially constantly fighting bosses that last from 10 to 40 minutes, but those bosses kept me on edge so much that I didn't feel like it was a boring grind.

These are ignoring other various games available for the WiiU- exclusives like ZombiU, and multi-platform titles like Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Rayman Legends- which I simply haven't had personal interest in or taken the time to get, that also seem to be rather promising, as well as the lesser but still enjoyable titles I have like Nintendo Land, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing.

I think I'll definitely be investing in another game when I get some more money in, and your post has convinced me that Super Mario 3D World is worth thinking about, apparently it's only 1.7 gigabytes too so I can easily download it and not worry about it taking up much room on my console's HDD. I'm weary of sequels to games I've never played though, I've been recommended Monster Hunter in the past but didn't take it up at the time, is there any continuity involved or is it pretty much like Mario and Zelda where canon doesn't really matter that much?

Also, a quick search on Google has convinced me that Wonderful 101 is probably worth looking into as-well, it looks like a cute game and even though I didn't play much of it, I liked Viewtiful Joe. Watched a review of that on Gamezville (a show I miss dearly) and thought the comic effects and platform game-play looked pretty.

X is coming out this year. That's all the incentive you need to keep your Wii-U.

Of the three current gen systems, the Wii U has the edge over the PS4 and Xbone right now anyway, because it's the only one that's backwards compatible. So, whilst the lineup of games is painfully sparse, and will probably remain so for most of this year (after all, if you've played one Nintendo game, you really have played them all...especially in the case of Mario and Zelda) you have access to the Wii's library as well.

That game looks awesome, love the soundtrack to that trailer. My only concern now is of the game-pad. I don't like the touch screen controller, but I love this:-

f3a7_pro_controller_u_for_wii_and_wii_u-1.jpg

The only problem is that the console relies on the interchangeability of both screens; the touch screen and on the TV. How do you think a controller like that would work without a touch screen?

Defiantly a good choice if your looking to get first-party Nintendo goodness like Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc but if your looking for third party stuff, you'd be better with a PS4 or an Xbox One.

Others have already hit on the main reasons as to why you'll want to be keeping your Wii U, but I'll add some support.

First off, I don't believe you'll be able to play Mario Kart 8 on your 3DS. To my knowledge, it's exclusive to the Wii U. So if you're big on Mario Kart, you've already got a solid reason to hang onto the Wii U.

A new Legend of Zelda game has already been announced and is in the works. Super Smash Bros is approaching fast as well. Though Smash Bros will be on the 3DS, I personally feel more confident in the console version of the game. Obviously, the Wii U version will be far superior graphically, but it may also boast advantages in terms of playability and levels of content. Somebody mentioned X above. Seriously. X is reason enough by itself to keep your Wii U. Bayonetta 2 also looks promising.

You might also want to check out Warriors of Hyrule. If you're a Zelda purist, then it may not be for you. Even so, it's something to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq4IiuRMWk

Beyond that, it's safe to assume that the future will include releases for Animal Crossing, Metroid (hopefully nothing like Other M), Pikmin (Pikmin 3 is already out and well worth your time), and Donkey Kong (Tropical Freeze is already out), to name a few.

I imagine the Wii U will end up being like the Wii in the sense that it's not a great primary system unless you only want to play a few games, but as a secondary system it's definitely worth it. Though the PS4 is my primary console, I'm a Nintendo guy at heart so I always cheer for them, but there just hasn't been enough games for me to feel okay with only having a Nintendo system in a long time.

The Wii had a lot of great games but they weren't always the ones that people knew about. I think the Wii U will have a solid collection eventually, and I already think it has a few neat games like The Wonderful 101 that don't get enough credit. Plus you'll always have the Nintendo exclusives that nobody will ever have unless Nintendo decides to stop making systems.

I would keep the Wii U as well. Nintendo makes some good games worth getting. Their first party games like Bender said are what sells the system. I would have personally purchased a PS4 over it though.

Nintendo's consoles are what I affectionately call Zelda machines. I would buy it just for Zelda alone.

I've always had a special place in my heart for Nintendo.

Back