Which franchises should die and which ones should be revived

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
There have been talks of wanting old franchises revived, and some franchises that have been going on for a while in this generation...

Which franchises do you think should die and which ones do you feel should be revived?

For me

Franchises that should be revived

Shining Series: Now these games have been coming out over in Japan, I want released over seas! I miss a lot of these games and really wanna see them again! :( An old tactical RPG of the Shining Force series would be awesome too, but just having them here would be great!

Suikoden Series: Konami... Konami... Konami... WHERE IS MY SUIKODEN VI!!! Heck I would of been happy to get the PSP remake of I/II but no! You tease us put the first one on the PSN and just ignore II, what is the deal??? oh and if you do Suikoden VI and pull the shit Capcom did with Breath of Fire VI, I will make sure that you guys burn for the rest of your life! :hmph:

Dark Cloud: after finishing the first two, I feel like a Dark Cloud III would be really great!

Saga: Hi Square-Enix... Do you guys remember this random RPG Franchise... you wanna say that Final Fantasy is your experiments with gameplay... this one is the real experiments! Now I know "the games don't do well overseas" yet there is a strong enough market to at least make them again right? heck on PSP would be great! Don't need some big fancy AAA budget game... just a nice little Saga Fontier 1+2 would be nice...

Ecco the Dolphin: Hahaha ohh I never thought I would put this series on the list... but I played it the other day... and I forgot just how... unusually amazing these games were! Even the 2000 one on Dreamcast (might of been on PS2 also... I forget) But this one deserves something now... a new game would be fun...

Mega Man: Crapcom Crapcom Crapcom... seriously didn't this little blue guy put you on the map? yet every time a game gets rumored you shoot it down! there have been like 5/6 games that were in production that you said "nah we don't want that released" to... Give the guy some real love... not just some "ohh lets throw him in Super Smash brothers with animal crossing and trainer girl" crap :mokken:

I could probably do more... but that should be a good list to start... Now series that I feel should.. die... or at least change whatever they are doing...

Resident Evil: Oh look Crapcom is the first franchise on my list... Yeah I am putting this on my list! Why? because IV was the last real Resident Evil. Five was, how do I put this... If I had a worst game of this generation, this game would be on the list! I did finally play a full version of REVI a few months ago... was another just action pack game... Granted it was not as bad as V, but it wasn't enough for me to have any faith in the series coming back to an undead life! (see what I did there :wacky: ) I really feel that the series has ran its course and should have a nice gravestone for what it use to be, a great horror game... Or Crapcom should look at what was so amazing about the early Resident Evil games, and go back to that!

Assassins Creed: "But it only has four main games" If III is any indication of how the rest of the series is going be in the future, It should be dead already! first two were great! Third one I wish I could pretend never existed! Enough of this one.

Sonic: Oh how I wish I wasn't going put the little blue Sega mascot on this list :sad2:. Played Generations again, and it reminded me of how amazing Sonic was vs what he has become. He was a one of a kind. He was great on Dreamcast, then Sega goes and is forced to put him on other platforms. Oh my heart still aches to the crap that was Sonic 2006 :sad3:

Now I would put other franchises on this list, but here is why I don't I never liked "sand-box games" so I can't say Elderscrolls or any of those, since I don't even like the franchise! I would say Call of Duty, but even some people on here have proved to me that just the name and showing off some stuff, while we all know that it will be the same thing, that it will be enough to continue selling. I kinda wish it would be like a shot in the face and not sell, but that is just high hopes.

Then we have sports games... If anything NFL/Fifa/NHL need to get other companies to make games so that EA doesn't rule that part of the market of gaming... :damon: NBA and MLB both have other companies that make there games, so why not you other sports things :mokken:

I was also debating if/where to put Breath of Fire... if VI is the future of Breath of Fire, I would say burn it with Ryu's Dragon spells... if they would make a real RPG for it, then I would say revive it, but this is Crapcom... so who knows!

Die

Final Fantasy. This is an obvious one, because Square Enix aren't capable of making proper video games anymore. I can't be bothered to repeat what I've said a million times before on this forum. You know my arguments by now; fill in the gaps yourself.

The Tales series. These get worse with each instalment: same predictable, crappy plot, same anime tropes grafted onto characters with the same voice actors, same battle system with a few minor tweaks, same old, same old. The Tales series has been stuck in a quagmire of mediocrity since Symphonia, and if Xillia is any indicator, it won't be getting out of it any time soon. They're always very pretty, and much better than FF, but that isn't saying much these days, is it? Saying Xillia is better than FFXIII-2 is like saying getting a nail put through your hand is better than getting one put through your eye.

Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, and pretty much every other Nintendo franchise. Nintendo are slaves to nostalgia; they've been making the same video games for years and years and YEARS now, and we, the mindless slaves to nostalgia that we are, keep lapping them up, encouraging more of the same, grabbing torch and pitchfork the second they even THINK about doing something different with them. They need to STOP, scrap EVERYTHING, and start making something new. Every 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time has been identical. Every Pokemon game has been identical to the first generation. Every year we get another fifty million Mario games the same as the ones we played the year before last. Nothing changes. It's time Nintendo started bringing some new, original ideas to the table. They're capable of it. Pikmin proves that they're capable of it; it's a fairly recent addition and, like it or love it, it proves that Nintendo CAN move beyond their core comfort zone and establish a new franchise. Metroid Prime, to a certain extent, proved that they're capable of taking their franchises in a new direction and doing it well, as well...although given that the last Metroid game was Other M, I'm not going to put that series up on a pedestal as a shining example. Nintendo are capable of more than what they do, but they don't do it. It's time Nintendo started contributing again, rather than just shipping the same crap out every year. Change or die.

God of War. I'm going to give credit where credit is due: God of War III was explosive. It added nothing new in terms of gameplay, but it was one hell of a finale. Ascension has proved that there is absolutely no way in any reality they're going to make a game more epic in its scope than the third one - it had you slaying major gods and titans, for crying out loud. EVERYONE DIED. Who gives a damn about who Kratos killed beforehand? No matter how many more GoW prequel games they make, Kratos won't develop any more of a personality, and nor will they outdo the scale of the third game in the main trilogy. It was fun while it lasted. Now back out gracefully, for all our sakes. Please. And whatever you do, don't try and make a sequel.

Call of Duty. Yeah, I think this one has outstayed its welcome. Every year we get the same game with a few different facial models for characters and a shiny new gun. This franchise is WORSE than Nintendo for repetition, which is one hell of an achievement.

Halo. As with God of War, three games was enough. Hell, ONE game was enough, as it was the only one with a partially decent campaign with a reasonably interesting story. The only thing Halo has been good for since the first game has been its multiplayer, and let's face it, there are MORE than enough FPS games with online multiplayer floating about. I appreciate the anniversary version of the first game on the 360, but...Halo 4? Halo Wars? ODST? If I want a science fiction scenario that involves armoured men gunning down aliens, I'll go pick up a Warhammer novel or pick up Mass Effect, where the world is detailed and I at least get some choice in what I do.

The Elder Scrolls. For crying out loud, either do it properly, or don't do it at all. Morrowind was fantastic. Oblivion is one of the worst games I've ever played. Skyrim was fun for about ten minutes until you realised that you couldn't really do anything lasting in it unless you were on the PC and had mods. TES is made fun by its fans, and fans have proven that they're quite capable of making games vastly superior on their own. No real need for this series anymore.

Resident Evil. What the hell has even been going on with this franchise recently? I enjoyed Resi 4, but it wasn't Resident Evil. I don't even want to think about Resi 5, and I won't go near Resi 6. Capcom have clearly lost the ability to make a horror game. Horror is NOT about three-second scares. What happened to wandering around a dimly lit mansion, wondering why the hell there were sharks in the indoor pool, waiting for zombie dogs to suddenly jump through windows and maul you whilst you wasted your already scarce ammo trying to kill them? Knowing that there was going to be something behind the door, but not wanting to step through and confront is because ohgodwhywereyouevendoingthis? What happened to being genuinely terrified? To the anticipation; the atmosphere; the moment you knew was coming and thought you were prepared for but went to pieces when it happened? Resi stopped being scary three numbered games ago, and it has really suffered for it. The loss of Wesker means that there is no real antagonist to carry the franchise forward, and whilst Resi has withstood the test of time better than Silent Hill, that isn't saying much, and at least Book of Shadows was playable. Fuck this shit. Go and fix me a Jill Sandwich.

Revive

The Legacy of Kain. I don't mean some random multiplayer piece of shit designed by Square Enix set in the same universe, I mean a proper continuation of the absolutely fantastic story that has been in dire need of a continuation since Defiance. Kain is one of the better antihero protagonists out there - he's certainly capable of more emotion than Kratos, to name but one who has been praised repeatedly for a strength and depth of character that doesn't exist and never did - who gets a fantastic amount of development, and Raziel's story arc in the Soul Reaver games was excellent as well. Defiance brought it together nicely, but where does Kain go from here? There are so many different directions this series could take, and it deserves a chance to.

MediEvil. It is horribly unfair that crappy characters like Spyro and Rayman are still alive and kicking whilst Sir Dan has fallen by the wayside, his only appearance being in a shoddy rip off of Nintendo's overrated Smash Bros. series and in a PSP remaster of his first appearance on the PS1. MediEvil was second only to Banjo Kazooie back in the day, and whilst I wouldn't wish Banjo back - Nuts and Bolts effectively killed any desire I had at seeing a new BK game - I'd like to see Sir Dan get another outing. MediEvil 3, please. With the quirky humour and fantastically posh voice acting to boot.

Croc, for the same reasons as above: others have survived who are vastly inferior, and it is more than a slight injustice. Croc hasn't had anything for much longer, though, which is a real shame.

Valkyrie Profile. Come on, tri-Ace, where is Hrist's game? VP is the only series that has done Norse mythology right, so it'd be a shame to see it end with the horrific Covenant of the Plume. The PS3 needs its VP game.

Gauntlet. Oh god, how I LONG for another Gauntlet game. The market is FILLED with uninspired clones of this franchise! Seven Sorrows left a lot to be desired, but Dark Legacy was solid, and Gauntlet has a charm to it that no other game of its type has quite managed to replicate...despite replicating everything else. Annoyed Martel needs new Gauntlet game badly.

Timesplitters. I don't enjoy FPS very often, but Timesplitters 2 was an exception to the rule, and Future Perfect was even better. Where the hell is Timesplitters 4?

There are others I could add to both lists, but I can't be bothered right now...those are the main ones that spring to mind.

DIE

Sonic: kill it with fire. for a lot of the same reasons as the above plus I mean... c'mon... it's a blue hedgehog people! how much fun can it be?! I used to love it back in the day but even I know the series blows now.

Zelda Franchise: Honestly, they should have stopped after Windwaker. I mean Skyward Sword was great but the overall games in the franchise do not live up to the name.

God of War: It's pretty much the same crap over and over again.

Halo: This next game should be the last. I already thought they were pushing it with 4 but now that Cortana and Chief are separated it's not in my shipper heart to not want to know more about these star-crossed lovers. That said, I'm a fan of the series but I want the games to end with respect not as a cashcow.

Anime fighter games: need I say more? I think there was like one DBZ game that was actually good but this just proves how sucky these types of games are.

Call of Duty: :damon: I love the old games but enough is enough already... it's time to let the curtain fall :gonk:

Sims: I don't get what the obsession is with this game. I really don't. It used to be fun when I was a kid but the games get really strange (I mean, you spend hours creating a life for your sim when you're wasting hours of your own life to do so)... I think it's a fad that seriously needs to die.

REVIVE or CONTINUE

Final Fantasy: I know it's had some bad years lately but I'm not gonna let 13 ruin the entire franchise. 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 were all great games and none of them are ever going to be tarnished just because "omg 13 exists and that's totes a bad game". I myself think the newest games for 13's installments look boss but the first one was very teen-drama-ish so it ruined it for me. That said; I really hope FF15 blows people out of the water. I want Square to succeed, more importantly, I want the FF series to succeed--I just wish they'd evolve (which it looks like now).

Mega-Man: :jess: I used to love playing these games and then it just sorta stopped and that sucks. anyway, I know a lot of people don't like Mega-man but I always have. :ryan:

Dark Cloud: My brother and sister adore this game, so I'm gonna have to say that it should also be revived.

Mario: :ohoho: I love my mario soooo much :ari: this franchise is always really creative and fun, and don't none of you bitches tell me otherwise. :ahmed:

more later

Well, I don't passionately wish for anything to die because I'm mostly indifferent to the franchises I don't like or don't give a toss about. Who am I to wish for the death of a franchise that others dearly enjoy? At the very least my hand isn't being forced to bring the game to the checkout. It just means I can be condescending towards those people for their bad taste, that's all. :ari:

But okay, for the purposes of this thread:

PISS OFF

+ Call of Duty - But, Fleur, you protest! You haven't ever properly touched the Call of Duty games before. You might immensely enjoy it and retract everything you have said about this franchise that you know bugger all about! Oh, I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of more appealing games of a similar calibre and type out there. Call of Duty has changed the game since Modern Warfare, but it's 2013 now and they've long hit the ceiling and the building is about to collapse on them, as TitanFall seems set on rendering the franchise redundant and obsolete. To be so deprived of anything actually exciting to showcase that features such as being finally able to play as a female soldier in multiplayer, and watching exotic fish swim away from you are implicitly highlighted as *innovation* and such, this franchise deserves to return to the trenches where it started. Only this time, riddled with machine gun bullets. Move over, CoD. The war's over.

+ Breath of Fire - I needn't reiterate this, but Breath of Fire is back. Fans of the series, after waiting for about a decade after the divisive Dragon Quarter game for the PS2, were treated to a sixth game. It looks like it will be a social game for mobile platforms, with generic anime art that has made absolutely no effort to capture the charm, style and aspects of previous Breath of Fire games. It looks set to be an empty, soulless, emotionless cash grab by a company looking to capitalise as much as possible on the latest Mobage craze to sweep the land of the rising sun. If I were a die-hard fan of the franchise now, I would rather see this old venerated IP die than to be exhumed and violated. It would be one thing for Capcom to bring the IP back for a random social game if it's only a spinoff, but another thing for it to be a mainline game.

+ Mario - Which Mario games? Virtually all of them. Chiefly, I'm looking at the newest ones that Nintendo have shat out for the 3DS and Wii U. I give them credit for Super Mario Galaxy, and I'm sure that's the last actual "big", fresh thing from Mario, but virtually everything since have been stale, uninspired and unexciting rumps. There's only so long you can have the same meal for over and over again before you ask the chef what else there is on the menu. With Nintendo in choppy waters at the moment, and recent reports that they haven't been as prepared for HD development as they should have been despite this being 2013, with the PS3 and 360 being crucial forerunner case studies to learn from, I'm not expecting much from them in the near future. More than anything, I expect them to stay safe as much as possible, with Wii U Mario games at the moment being no more than 3DS ports.

+ Zelda - Yeah, I'm going to say this: I'm not excited for Zelda anymore. I wouldn't hand Twilight Princess that many accolades when I vastly prefer ALTTP, Ocarina and Majora to it. Skyward Sword has mysteriously elicited absolutely nothing from me. I don't have the willpower to even buy it, despite constantly telling myself two summers ago as I was going through Xenoblade Chronicles that I should get it. I have honestly never been so apathetic for a Zelda game I have yet to play before, and I'm currently only mildly interested in the ALTTP 3DS sequel. Zelda has to do something interesting and outside of its comfort zone. I know unlike other franchises that have been genuinely milked to hell and back, every Zelda game has ventured into relatively new worlds and settings that each of them feel new enough despite the familiarity of its basic mechanics and structure. But it's not enough. Bring in some fresh new blood. Let Aonuma hang his hat.

+ Assassin's Creed - It pains me, as someone who has unequivocally loved Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood that I genuinely believe the boat is sinking. Why? Ubisoft torpedoed it themselves. I am actually considering giving up on Assassin's Creed 3 and shoving it back into the grimy hands of the chap I purchased it from in the first place. It's horribly paced and structured, and it is bereft of the fun that made me invest the time I did into its predecessors. It's so technically awkward that if you told me Bethesda single-handedly coded it, I would believe you. I'm just shocked that Connor hasn't fallen through the ground halfway through a pursuit and into a crimson, fiery nexus below by now. I don't believe that Black Flag will be any better. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a standalone pirate game with the Ass Creed stamped on it, before Ubisoft is terrified that if people go through a year without a single Assassin's Creed game, they'll be collectively teabagged by Satan or something. Do you see much anticipation for Assassin's Creed nowadays? Sure, the individual games are massive in scope despite the annual churning, which is admirable, but franchise fatigue will catch up with them soon enough. Innovation and new ideas? That isn't the Ubisoft way of thinking anymore. Assassin's Creed can now be symbolised by a factory conveyer belt system. It's all mechanical and pristine in its clockwork-like running, but it's bereft of emotional creativity at this point.

+ Kingdom Hearts - This one is conditional. If Nomura finally decides to reboot the whole arch-storyline completely after KH3, then by all means, continue the franchise. Otherwise, if he intends to continue with this convoluted clusterfuck, I'd advise him to stop and go work on something else. You know, maybe more TWEWY games, or a totally new IP. Oh, silly me. This is Square-Enix. Why would they bother with new IPs anymore in this day and age if they're not mobile games? :rolleyes:

+ Resident Evil - This is just me writing as an observer here. I don't actually play the games, but looking at what Capcom have done to Resident Evils 5 and 6, it would be better for the franchise to decompose with what dignity it has left than to "live" on as confused and chimeric action games that are designed to appeal to as many people as possible, but satisfying virtually no one. It was Jim Sterling who said that Resident Evil 6 is certainly a survival horror game. But it's not the player doing the survival horror-ing. It's Capcom that is horrified, but at the market, and completely misreading what they have to do to survive.

----------------

BRING THESE BACK:

+ Ultima - Those of you who have been scanning the current trending iOS games will notice that Ultima has come back, but as an online game by EA that compels the player every waking moment to consider the in-app purchases. It's only an Ultima in the most superficial of ways that it's got me thinking: I'd love to see what they can do to Ultima right now. Sure, I was too young and too much of a JRPG player to have religiously devoted myself to the Ultima series (they're pretty much difficult to play through now because the graphics and mechanics are so dated), but along with Wizardry, Ultima has shaped much of the RPGs we now love by laying the groundwork for the evolution of the genre. Now, you can say in response that there's no reason for Ultima to return because EA will certainly fuck it up, but it's ridiculous how the man who created the series in the first place, Richard Garriot, cannot even legally make an Ultima game anymore because of EA. If old names like Might and Magic, Torment and Shadowrun are making a return, why not Ultima properly?

+ TimeSplitters - There was a TimeSplitters 4 in development, but it died. Free Radical, before it also ceased to exist, decided instead to make the mediocre Haze. What a bloody shame. It was one of the few PS2 FPSs that I bloody enjoyed. You have no idea how much time I devoted to the Arcade and Mapmaker modes in the second game. Please bring back the fun, arcade feel of the TimeSplitters games. I don't want to be stuck seeing the FPS genre pretty much entrenched as super serious military shooters.

+ Valkyrie Profile - This is why we can't have nice things. Tri-Ace, deciding to fall from grace this generation, are relegated to being the Nick Clegg to Square-Enix's David Cameron coalition. The venerable developer that would craft intricate and interesting combat systems (and the awfulness of Star Ocean characters and writing, but let's not remind ourselves of that!) would not go on to do a third game - ideally with Hrist as lead - and instead find itself now co-developing with FFXIII-2. Lightning Returns additionally, looks horrifically like it was a Valkyrie Profile game, but dismembered and given third-degree burns so grievous that the burn victim is now a FFXIII game.

+ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - When BioWare said that The Old Republic would be KOTORs 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and onwards, I told them to go to hell. Okay, that was an exaggeration, but I can't get into SWTOR. It doesn't help that it runs slower on my machine than a horse with all four legs broken and going uphill in snow. SWTOR has also ruined the storylines of the two KOTOR games. Darth Revan has been ruined beyond comprehension, for one. Can BioWare pull themselves together to make a good third KOTOR game, or a similar kind of Star Wars RPG? It's doubtful at this point, but bloody hell, I'll happily sacrifice a baby at an altar to get a good follow-up.

+ Jak and Daxter - Naughty Dog, you're great and all, but before you decide to return to Uncharted again, throw the Jak and Daxter fans a bone first, please? Sly Raccoon even made a return recently (though it bombed) and Ratchet and Clank is still around. What's happened to that third leg of the Sony mascot action-platformer triumvirate? Okay, even if Naughty Dog aren't willing to return to making a platformer after striking gold with the very mature TLOU, maybe someone else with at least half the talent can take the mantle with the franchise? Help them out with some creative input and pointers?

DIE

Resident Evil - Nothing to say that everyone above me hasnt said. The series hasnt been good for a long time now and i think its about time it was laid to rest.

Call of Duty - Even though i still play call of duty (albeit an older one) They havent done anything with the series at all in forever...or ever depending on which way you wanna see it. Put it down.`

BRING BACK

Legacy of Kain. One of the best series of games theres ever been. The voice acting is some of the best ever and the story was fantastic. Proper story telling, time travel , paradoxes. I miss it :( Every now and again i always do a google search of LOK to see if theres any news. Sadly there never is.

Onimusha - One of Capcoms best series theyve ever done. Dawn of Dreams on the ps2 was the last of the series and imo the best out of them all. Sadly DMC's popularity made them focus on that and stop caring about Onimusha.

Shining force - Like Blue said some remakes of the classisc shining games would be amazing. Theres already a remake of the legacy of great intention but shining force 2 would make for an amazing remake. More in games in the series in that classic style please.

Oddworld. Yeahhh they have the 3d type games but im talking about the 2D classics on ps1. Abes Oddysey and Abes Exoddus. You cant have had a ps1 and not had those games. Theyre classics and id love to see them bring the series to the playstation network in the form of new titles.

AAaaaaaand thats all i can think of right now. Medievil was a great answer btw!

Cool thread. I think some developers need to pull their finger out and reinvent some franchises but these ones are definite for me:

Die

Call of Duty: I play it a lot and I've had good times on it but when I think of the reasons I play it it's either because friends of mine are playing it or as a time drain on lazy days. Nothing new about it and the next one will be more of the same.

Halo: The Xbox equivalent of CoD really, better variety but the same game constantly rehashed.

Kingdom Hearts: Zero interest, always been a bit of a joke to me.

Revive

Half Life: The first one was immense and the second game one of my favourites. I don't know why Valve haven't developed HL3 but if they do I'm getting it.

Chrono Trigger: Some of my faith in Square will be restored if they bring this series back.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic / Jade Empire: I put the two together because they're both BioWare.

Dino Crisis: It would be nice if Dino Crisis returned and we began seeing more effort being put into other "survival horror" games like Dead Space and Resident Evil. It's like everyone's been trying to be Uncharted since their brilliant use of QTEs.

The Last Guardian: I know it was never developed and from what I heard the project was abandoned, but it looked really promising hopefully they'll pick it back up somewhere along the line.

Oddworld. Yeahhh they have the 3d type games but im talking about the 2D classics on ps1. Abes Oddysey and Abes Exoddus. You cant have had a ps1 and not had those games. Theyre classics and id love to see them bring the series to the playstation network in the form of new titles.

AAaaaaaand thats all i can think of right now. Medievil was a great answer btw!

http://kotaku.com/5947823/that-hd-r...is-sure-looking-sharp-coming-to-ps3-vita-xbla

They listened to me :ari:

time to make a short list

DIE, BURN WITH MUTIPLE FIRES AND BOMBS

Call of Duty: pretty much, same old boring thing every year, same old same old, gung gung gung guns, if the best new thing is a DOG, it timee to move on

RE: Number 6 was terrible, nothing new, boring storyline... yeah burn it

Everything nintendo - zelda and pokemon...... same thing everytime, but zelda is good for the story and Pokemon are really step up their game with X/Y

BRING THESE BACK PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE ;_;

Crash, this was a tonn of fun back in the ps1 era and I even enjoyed nitro karts, but then univerial happened.

Mega Man, Loved these games, but again the company have plain ruined the series for me, please bring him back ;_;

Persona, ATLUS, IT BEEN 7 YEARS SINCE WE HAD A PERSONA GAME, FIX THIS SHIT

DIE THIS INSTANT:

Resident Evil...I lost faith in this series after 6. It was horrible.
Mario...I'm kind of done with that tbh. Too much of the same and after the one for the N64 I haven't touched any of them.

Suikoden spin-offs!!! I seriously did a facepalm with the release of Tierkreis. It had NOTHING to do with Suikoden. No Rune system, no deeper story, graphics were horrible. The story was enjoyable, but Konami never should've given it the name Suikoden...really a disappointment!

REVIVE PLZ:

Suikoden, PLEASE give me my Suikoden games and then I mean the original. I've been waiting for VI for so long and I finally want more in depth story. The games were great with their stand alone storylines, but the bigger picture is what made things really interesting. GET IT DONE, KONAMI!!!!

Wild Arms, I love the series! Never played the PSP one, since it never gave the feeling of being awesome like the others did.

Breath of Fire...and then I mean the regular one with Ryu, Nina, etc. III and IV were amazing and I still love Teepo and Fou-Lu. There needs to be a new game which introduces a villain of the same level these 2 had and you still get more insight on what drives them, like they did with Fou-Lu

Time for retirement:

Assassin's Creed

I don't think there's any need to argue too much for this one. Pretty much everyone else has said what there is to be said about this already :P

Mass Effect

The Mass Effect series are some of my favourite games of all times, and I totally understand why EA and BioWare wants to go back to a franchise which is both a big seller and has one of the most beautifully realised universes and in video gaming. For once though, it would be nice to see a developer/publisher call it quits on a franchise while they were still ahead. Shepard's story has been told, and there really is no need for a 4th installment in this series. Put Mass Effect out to pasture and come up with something new instead. Alternatively, I don't think anyone would mind getting KOTOR 3.

Final Fantasy

Things have been going steadily down hill for FF since FFX. I can understand why they are reluctant to kill off such a big money maker, but at the very least they should take a bit of a breather and take a good hard look at what needs to be done if FF is to be a viable franchise in the future.

Time for a revival

Carmageddon

I loved these games when I was a kid, and seeing some epic vehicular manslaughter on this generation's hardware, would be a dream come true. I loved going nuts in the zoo in Carmageddon 2.

Final Fantasy Tactics

REAL Final Fantasy Tactics, not FFTA. XCOM: Enemy Unknown has proved that turn based strategy is a viable genre for tripple A titles and with the current success of Game of Thrones (which the original Tactics really isn't that far removed from tone-wise) a new FFT could be a massive success. Make it happen Square.

Die

Kingdom Hearts- It doesn't even make sense anymore and the storyline is so confusing and messy. I miss those days where Sora was the Choosen One and being the Keyblade wielder was rare and special. Now everybody has one. And the whole Terra when there is already a Terra in FF sort of pisses me off. Do you know how annoying it is to go into Tumblr with Terra and get pictures of a boy in MC Hammer pants kissing a Roxas look-alike- when you're actually looking for a green or blonde haired chick ??
KH 3 should be the last. Then let it die, please.

Call Of Duty- It's just the same thing each time and if you are a reader of IGN even the people who make the game don't even respect the fans calling them fake gamers. lol.

Halo- Most overrated piece of poop over to grace the Xbone.

Spyro The Dragon- You were amazing back in 99- 00 but now since Insomniac has dropped you, your games have been nothing but shit. Thankyou for the amazing childhood. But you need to die.

Mario- HOW many times can Princess Peach be abducted ?

Resident Evil- Like Spyro you were great once upon a time. But you're so terrible now. Plus with Zombies becoming the in-fad recently and most games and shows being Zombie based, the whole Zombie theme has been sucked to death. RE 6 was terrible.

Assassins Creed- The first couple of games were really neat and good, but it's ran out it's time.

Zelda- Yeah I never really got all the hype with these games, but now even the hardcore fans are getting tired of Link and the Princess. Nintendo is running out of ideas and is hoping on HD and 3D remakes to keep the series alive. It's been 27 years ? It's lasted really well. Now's a good time to end it Nintendo, before it ends up taking the Spyro The Dragon path and ending up being terrible with every release.

Keep Going

Sonic The Hedgehog- Generations and Colours were amazing and Lost World looks alright, not terrible, but alright. Sonic has a chance of being good again like it's early days. It's starting to show promise and hope for it's future.

Final Fantasy- XV is looking promising and I have hope for the games and it's future. But if XV ends up being shit. Yeah it would be time to end it and have Square- Enix create something new and fresh. Or just let the company die all- together since they want to die, it seems.

Tales Series- Xilla is good and Xilla- 2 is looking really good. So I don't see the hate here.

Bring Back !

Crash Bandicoot- If it got brought by a new company and everything and they put time and love into it and effort. It could be amazing.

Mega Man- Nintendo why do you treat the Blue fella so bad ? You show love for Mario and Link, but no Mega Man ? Come on Guys.

Chrono Trigger- Come on Square this game was amazing back in the day. Bring back Chrono, Marle, Frog and Robo !

Parappa the Rapper- This game was the jam on the Playstation ! Both first and second game. It needs a ps4 hd release with Crash !

P

Revive.

Lets see,
Onimusha, Star Ocean, Dino Crisis, Xenosaga, La Pucelle, Jade Empire

I'd love to give my reasons but they are a bit stellar at best so, its best i dont.

Clock Tower needs to be revived ASAP! The games themselves were off varying quality, but the formula was absolutely genius. It is so addictive to be so vulnerable in a horror game! I adore those games, the only real hope of a revival would be if the movie does well, and that thing has been in development hell for almost a decade...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Tomb Raider needs to just die gracefully. After Square Enix dumped 75% of the fans that have supported the franchise for seventeen years, I have lost all false enthusiasm for Crystal Dynamics' shitty reboot. The new Lara is embarrassingly dull.

I would have said Silent Hill needs to die, but P.T was absolutely amazing, so who knows!

I think there is something inherently wrong with thinking a series, any series, should die. Perhaps it is the eternal optimist talking, but it seems unwise to end an extremely popular series just because you are tired of it. It's also a bit silly considering you are posting this on a FF forum and the only one to list it was the ever observant Martel. FF is by far one of the most dragged out, repetitive series in existence. We're on XV already, not including the spin offs.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, even though it's already happening, but I want the Battlefront series to make a comeback. Here is hoping DICE and EA don't fuck the game up.
I'd also like to see MediEvil come back around...not counting Resurrection. That is a remake, not a continuation.
Another Jak game would be fantastic as well as long as it doesn't have a formula as dreadful as Jak 2.

It's also a bit silly considering you are posting this on a FF forum and the only one to list it was the ever observant Martel. FF is by far one of the most dragged out, repetitive series in existence. We're on XV already, not including the spin offs.

I gave Final Fantasy the benefit of the doubt because as mixed as the results may be, the latest entries in the series at least make the damn effort to reinvent themselves, making each entry distinct from the last. The sheer quantity of games with the Final Fantasy IP attached is ridiculous, indeed, but the series is nowhere near on the same league as Super Mario, the Lego games, Call of Duty and heck, the Ubisoft triple-A open world games are slowly converging into a homogenous blob.

Perhaps if it gets to the point where whole trilogies of a mainline game are forced out on a regular basis (like the Lightning trilogy) and become the norm rather than the exception, I'll agree with you. By then perhaps the franchise may as well be nuked for all I care. I've seen very compelling posts online about how the Final Fantasy name now serves as baggage, potentially limiting some producers' grand, ambitious visions and destined to divide the fans. Why? Because we attach too many expectations - and diverse ones at that - of what a Final Fantasy game should be that we flip out when we get a game that doesn't feel like Final Fantasy.

But they won't, because the Final Fantasy name itself is a big moneymaker. To suddenly call a new big budget RPG something like "Artifice of Complexion" instead of "Final Fantasy XVI" probably won't guarantee as much success. In a just world, The Last Remnant should have done as well or better than FFXIII.

Timesplitters. I don't enjoy FPS very often, but Timesplitters 2 was an exception to the rule, and Future Perfect was even better. Where the hell is Timesplitters 4?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. It was like hating a movie for the first hour or so just to have it turn around and appeal to my tastes at the very end. haha

But anyway, I disagree with the majority of your choices for series that should just go away. In particular, I feel that Zelda, Tales and The Elder Scrolls are still going strong. Few games net as much anticipation and excitement as Zelda and The Elder Scrolls. And they deliver just about every time. It's a little more difficult for me to make a solid case for Tales. Though it wouldn't matter much either way. If you consider Tales of Symphonia mediocre, then Tales was never your cup of tea in the first place. But yes, Tales has its faults. The stories are often convoluted, the characters are cookie cutters, and the battle system--despite some small and large tweeks--is largely the same as it's always been. Boss repetition is a big complaint of mine as well. Even so! Tales has a charm to it that I personally appreciate and enjoy. Just my opinion there.

The MAIN reason I'm taking the time to reply to your post is because you mentioned TimeSplitters as a series you'd like to see restored. I can't express how much I agree with you here. The FPS genre stinks of shallow CoD titles and games developed to mirror them. TimeSplitters is in a league of its own in terms of offering a very unique FPS experience. Unfortunately, with Crytek holding the rights to TimeSplitters--with their financial difficulties and no apparent interest in reviving the series--the rumors surrounding the possibility of a TimeSplitters 4 have largely died off. It doesn't look good.

However!

Crytek has agreed to allow a small group of independent developers (some of which were previously employed by Crytek) to work on a project called TimeSplitters Rewind. These guys are remastering all the TimeSplitters games and combining them into a single package. When finished, they will release the game on PC. They also have an interest in releasing it on consoles (they're developing it to work on consoles as well); however, they need special permission before they can guarantee a console release. You can learn more by finding the TimeSplitters Rewind page on Facebook.

Die:
Final Fantasy - This series has been going downhill since Final Fantasy X. It has lost many elements that RPG fans love. And Final Fantasy XV is looking to be the worst.

Revive:
Phantasy Star (numbered games) - Stop with the online stuff and return to the traditional story driven, turn based RPG games that are set in the Algo Universe.

Suikoden

Die:
Final Fantasy - Sometimes I wonder all those years ago how I found myself on a FF forum since even when I first joined my love for the franchise was waning. But it used to be, at the very least, decent. I mean II, V, VI, IX, and XII were great. I think the series kinda went downhill after VII, when the focus became less on character building and imaginative worlds and decided the focus should be on pretty spectacle and relying on anime tropes. Which is why I appreciated IX and XII so much for at least trying to do something different. I don't think things got much worse than Squall.

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty - I'm putting them in the same spot because, and I know I'm far from the first person to share this observation, Assassin's Creed is nothing more than Ubisoft's answer to Call of Duty. I don't even have to explain that one. I'm not going to pay full retail price for a yearly release for a series that desperately needs to either take a break and re-evaluate where the franchise is going and what can be done to revitalize it or just pull the fucker's life support out.

Kingdom Hearts - I don't hate the series. Far from it. KH, KH II, Chain of Memories, and Birth by Sleep were fantastic despite every entry being essentially "Fan Fiction: The Game". But it needs to stop. More importantly, it needs to stop spreading the releases across as many consoles as possible. I don't respect cash grabs.

Uncharted - I rather love this franchise. But it's a dog that's gotten a little too old and needs to go to the vet to get that final injection. I don't know if the Uncharted 4 is going to be the definitive end but I don't want the third game's ending ruined for the sake of one more snatch for money.

God of War - Just how many more fucking prequels do we need to tell the story of that twat Kratos' past?

Metal Gear Solid - Yes, my favorite series needs to quit. MGS V was fun but totally unnecessary to the series. Phantom Pain should've just been a new IP and let Peace Walker and Guns of the Patriots (despite how much of a mess the ending was) be the final chapter for Big Boss and Solid Snake respectively. Maybe another Metal Gear Rising but yeah. How about stop?

Silent Hill - Despite my love for Shattered Memories, the series has become stagnant to say the least.

Poke'Mon - Probably the closest the game industry will ever get to a title that would satisfy even the most OCD person, it needs to be put to rest. When there was only 150 Poke'Mon, I couldn't be asked to "catch 'em all" and now there's enough of the bastards where one of each type could populate a small county and all I can think of is they may need to purge a few.

Live Again:
Legacy of Kain - Just because I'd like it if the original creators got the chance to end the series how they actually wanted to, instead of seeing the franchise become a third person PvP game that was decent but got closed down after only two years anyways because the only thing Square-Enix hates more than efficiently making money is their customers.

Half-Life - I'm not even necessarily the biggest fans of these games. They're okay. But what really draws me in is the fantastic story which I'd like to see eventually come to an end at least sometime before I die.

Prince of Persia - I feel like there's still a little spark potentially left in this series. But I don't want a continuation of the PS2 era PoP despite Forgotten Sands being a surprisingly great game. However, a reboot could maybe be interesting.

Syphon Filter - Don't suppose I could get a conclusion any time soon..?

Last edited:
Back