I like XIII... And am excited for the next FF installment.

Addicted2INK

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Everyone always says how much they hate this game and how much it sucks. Not just this game but the series (XIII, XIII-2). Even the next installment, people are already having a pessimistic view.

I think the story is awesome in XIII. I like it better than XIII-2. I am very caught up in the story and characters. Maybe that is because I platinumed XIII-2 before ever playing XIII. So it is like I am seeing where all the characters came from and how XIII-2 came about. It is awesome seeing how these characters came to be who they were in XIII-2. Again, maybe that makes XIII's story and character development better for me. The game play itself isn't awesome, but it is also their first installment on the Next-Gen systems. And everything that they fixed in the gameplay from XIII (restrictiveness, controls, etc.) to XIII-2 gives me even more reason to be excited for the next FF. Everyone complained so much about restriction in XIII, and look how much restriction they took away in XIII-2. Open areas, the ability to fuse any monsters give you endless possibilities. Yea, it looks like they took a completely different approach in the next game, but I think that is a plus not a minus.

Bottom line I think XIII was a great start for FF on Next-Gen systems. Yea, there are downfalls but they built on them and made the next game better and I am optimistic to where FF as a whole is heading.

I'm one of those rare beings that actually enjoyed XIII enough to play it more than once. However, I just can't seem to get myself to finish XIII-2. I think the story in the sequel is very... bleh. I'm at the end, and took a shot at the last boss, but I'm not quite there development-wise apparantly and kept losing about 3/4 through the battle. Got tired of restarting after like the 5th or 6th try. To me there was no drive for the story in XIII-2, I felt almost no connection to the characters, and I just felt myself thinking "why, exactly, am I doing this again?" way too much. :/

In other words, I am excited for the next installment, and I just really hope I feel a better connection to the game than I did XIII-2.

I'm only excited for the next game in hopes of it straightening out some issues with FFXIII-2.
I'm one of those rare beings that actually enjoyed XIII enough to play it more than once. However, I just can't seem to get myself to finish XIII-2. I think the story in the sequel is very... bleh. I'm at the end, and took a shot at the last boss, but I'm not quite there development-wise apparantly and kept losing about 3/4 through the battle. Got tired of restarting after like the 5th or 6th try. To me there was no drive for the story in XIII-2, I felt almost no connection to the characters, and I just felt myself thinking "why, exactly, am I doing this again?" way too much. :/

In other words, I am excited for the next installment, and I just really hope I feel a better connection to the game than I did XIII-2.

If you beat it, brace yourself for a fucked up ending.

I felt the same about XIII-2. I had the same problem when playing the last boss also. I think there is an attack that just completely wipes out your duo if not full health with SEN and he doesn't give any tell when it is coming. I also didn't have any really well built monsters. I am one of the few people who don't use walk-through guides unless absolutely necessary and I never really understood good fusing no matter what I read. And the only reason I stuck it out and kept trying and finished was because I am a complete OCD freak when coming to COMPLETING and platinuming games. I got a couple of the DLCs too, but I didn't have it in me to finish them besides the Lightning one so I could see the ending to the game.

But anyways, like I said I loved XIIIs story, XIII-2s gameplay, and I am confident Lighting's Return will have both.

I'm only excited for the next game in hopes of it straightening out some issues with FFXIII-2.

If you beat it, brace yourself for a fucked up ending.

Care to tell me how it ends? With a spoiler tag of course. :P The reason I ask is because I will probably never play the game because I really didn't like XIII's battle system but I am a story junkie when it comes to a good story.

Care to tell me how it ends? With a spoiler tag of course. :P The reason I ask is because I will probably never play the game because I really didn't like XIII's battle system but I am a story junkie when it comes to a good story.

To be honest XIII-2's battle system is actually good so if you hated XIIIs you might want to actually play XIII-2. With that said XIII-2 totally fucked up all the potential the first game had. I liked the story of the first game and really wanted to know more about pulse and maybe thought they could delve deeper into their new world but it seems XIII-2 focused more on fun whimsical gameplay than a good story. The fucked up ending is kind of hilarious though.

EDIT: I recommend looking up the ending on youtube.

Out of all my Final Fantasy liking friends me and one other like the FFXIII franchise. I mean yes it isn't close to the originals and the PS2 era but they are still good JRPG's in my book. FFXIII-2 was a good game in many areas but then it felt as if it had something missing. Lightning Returns I am looking forward to even though it has changed again and you only control Lightning I mean that doesn't bother me all to much. I have a feeling I will sit there in my local game store day one and ready to play it all day.

Good for you then, im actually excited too just because after the game comes out i want to see what´s next for Lightning, because well i know this wont be the last of Lightning, and anyone who thinks otherwise are for a rough wake.

Yeah, youtube would be better but:

Serah is killed off. Basically she gets one last vision after Cias' defeat and it is that vision that takes her life.

It'll be a disappointment if you've grown to like Serah and want to see her succeed(she doesn't).

Sorta wished I hadn't asked now...thanks though! lol.

Play other ff games first.
H
I think the story is awesome in XIII. I like it better than XIII-2. I am very caught up in the story and characters. Maybe that is because I platinumed XIII-2 before ever playing XIII. So it is like I am seeing where all the characters came from and how XIII-2 came about. It is awesome seeing how these characters came to be who they were in XIII-2. Again, maybe that makes XIII's story and character development better for me. The game play itself isn't awesome, but it is also their first installment on the Next-Gen systems. And everything that they fixed in the gameplay from XIII (restrictiveness, controls, etc.) to XIII-2 gives me even more reason to be excited for the next FF. Everyones complained so much about restriction in XIII, and look how much restriction they took away in XIII-2. Open areas, the ability to fuse any monsters give you endless possibilities. Yea, it looks like they took a completely different approach in the next game, but I think that is a plus not a minus.

Bottom line I think XIII was a great start for FF on Next-Gen systems. Yea, there are downfalls but they built on them and made the next game better and I am optimistic to where FF as a whole is heading.
sounds like the idea of next gen clouded everything else.

XIII-2 has no restrictions when it comes to options, but overall has too much that it overshadows the story, the gameolay battle didnt change all that much.

The problem isnt game engine, its story related. Since XIII they made The 3rd Birthday and XIII-2, and several dozen mobile games and non mainstream games such as theathrythm which offers only the basics but didnt offer any additional features, All the Bravest and Airborne Brigade which sucked to every degree. Kingdom Hearts as well which was once a genuine series but now they baely getting.

Any more and the slower fans are going to catch on how low quality their giving to their fans. Granted they claim they have given low quality with FF14 and they say they rrying to redeem themselves but are they really? LR: FF13 will have to prove it.

Last edited:
What i hate about each XIII series s that each one looks completely different than the other. The world f XIII is practically non existent.

I also personally liked FF XIII. And I am somewhat excited for- Lightning's Return, I think it is.

FFXIII, though it had its downfalls- the one I see the most is the way it's like a "hallway"- I think it was good enough. Sure, they could have improved on it a bit, but I'm content with it.
The ending of XIII-2 was a bit of an offset to me. It made it too obvious they were planning on a sequel. I think they could have been a bit less blunt about it.
I think they'll either make improvements with the story with some complimentary amazing gameplay, or they'll go completely downhill and SE will move on to FFXV. Which will probably have some reference to Lightning because SE really loves Lightning.

The "to be continue" thing, yeah
But then again lots of FF games coulda ended with that, heck lots of FF games kind of cliffhanger or some unanswered questions lol.
I did actually like XIII and XIII-2 also, even if XIII was considered "linear."
I enjoyed Lightning, even Serah. Noel has to be my favorite character of the series and I really him back to XIII-3

The "to be continue" thing, yeah
But then again lots of FF games coulda ended with that, heck lots of FF games kind of cliffhanger or some unanswered questions lol.
I did actually like XIII and XIII-2 also, even if XIII was considered "linear."
I enjoyed Lightning, even Serah. Noel has to be my favorite character of the series and I really him back to XIII-3
i think maybe we forgotten what good characters are and left with whats new....thats what it feels like to me...but anyways, it wasnt :considered" linear, it was linear.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Serah and Noel defeat Caius. everything goes along smoothly then BAM. Serah sees the future and dies. The world collapses and is merged with Valhalla. at the end of the Lightning DLC, lightning wakes up after XXX years have passed. supposedly beyond the end times.

This.

It was so linear it was like a evil hallway of doom. No thought, no where to go next ? Just follow the yellow brick road style.

personally, i don't even mind that it was linear

i mind that i can play the first 20 hours of the game by haphazardly trying to mash the A button on my Xbox controller with my big toe while I watch tv until i get to a boss fight which requires me to maybe use some potions or something, but is extremely repetitive and takes forever to die.

that's just a dealbreaker for me.

when i play a game, i like to feel like i'm actually supposed to play it instead of just sitting there like i'm watching a song download off a torrent on dial-up. And i can't go troll a forum, ask it's female users to show me their breasts and make jokes people are too sensitive to appreciate, because the fucking download is hogging up all the bandwidth. :wacky:

so... i'm just sitting there... watching, waiting, for the download to finish.

The game play itself isn't awesome, but it is also their first installment on the Next-Gen systems.

How that offers an excuse is totally beyond me. You're basically saying that it's their first installment on the Next-Gen systems so gameplay should be excused because... creating good gameplay has something to do with being familiar with the hardware and not something like -I don't know- working on games for at least the past 10 years, maybe?

I am sorry that your intellectual capacity can't understand.

I never said anything should be excused. And if you think making a new game for a new system is the same as an older system then I am sorry that your brain fails too see beyond the simpleness of basic logistics.

They under looked basic gameplay a reason I gave was maybe they were so focused on capabilities of graphics and higher capabilities of the system and didn't put proper time into simple game play.

I am sorry that your intellectual capacity can't understand.

I never said anything should be excused.

If not excused then forgiven. All the same. You use the ''first installment on next gen'' as a reason why the gameplay suffered. That's what an excuse is. Go back and read what you said or if that's not what you wanted to say then go back and read how it sounds and then learn how to word things properly.

And if you think making a new game for a new system is the same as an older system then I am sorry that your brain fails too see beyond the simpleness of basic logistics.

I'm sorry that you just heard something which while is true you can not understand what appliances that can have to a game. FFXIII's gameplay fuck up had nothing to do with the difficulties the new hardware brought. To even imply that is ignorant to say the least. FFXIII's gameplay fuck up obviously came from design.

They under looked basic gameplay a reason I gave was maybe they were so focused on capabilities of graphics and higher capabilities of the system and didn't put proper time into simple game play.

Yeah. Higher capabilities. Because FFXIII other than graphics was full on physics and AI. It was all bad design choices that came from ignorance and incompetence. If the game itself is not a testament to that then find and read the director's views on games that pretty much proves it.

And one last thing. If you wanna support the attitude get a clue first. I'm done with you.

Back