Tech Teaching myself web design and programming?

The only opinion I have on this statement is that it may be true for some but not everybody. I am one of those kind of people that have a passion for creating digital art as well as programming. I am very decent at both and I enjoy putting in the time into both types of work.

Well yes that's fine, you may be even gifted. I have seen some really gifted Graphics designers have to choose in the fork of the road. The main thing is maintainability and time management here. In the day and age with scrum and agile methodologies there is no time to focus on both. Styling User interfaces takes time, no matter how amazing you are. From pagination buttons, to standard JQuery tabs they take time to build.

Most people rely heavily on their designers for Making sure the site is cosmetically pleasing. If a button is off by a few pixels, I can tell you from experience our customer satisfaction goes straight down hill.

When you build Jquery tabs you can style either the class of the tabs, or go down to the actual List items <li> </li> and style them. The trick is to handle all the styling in groups and to make sure no one messes with your CSS that maintains them. It's so much easier this way. So that's why most designers stick to designing the HTML/CSS/JQuery side and they leave the programmers to work on the source code.

Source code would usually hold all your button events, link events and etc. The more complicated stuff comes into Linq and how you do your SQL calls. These days a lot of people are moving to MVC4 if they haven't already. They handle stuff through a view bag which can important strings from a certain class. On top of this it handles the Models, the View and the controllers separately.

Also when you a programmer you have to worry about a lot more than just what's in front of you. You have to think in terms of APIs, asynchronous handling, and such in which eliminate too much load on the server side. A lot of folks these days are getting into WCF for this very reason. If you are into XAML then all props to you, but that to me is just another thing to learn. Windows services are tedious at times, due to the threading/multi-threading, priority and such.

Also I recommend you either choose web code or data base coding. The reason is most places look for either one or the other. DBAs are in high high demand, while web development is one of the highest/ most popular jobs in this current day and age, and do to this.. many are still looking for a job (unless they have the experience).

I dunno why i read this thread because i was like :huh: The whole time. I have no idea what you computing folks are on about.

Not spamming! Just adding in the common non programmers thoughts to the arguments. I like windows 7.

Well yes that's fine, you may be even gifted. I have seen some really gifted Graphics designers have to choose in the fork of the road. The main thing is maintainability and time management here. In the day and age with scrum and agile methodologies there is no time to focus on both. Styling User interfaces takes time, no matter how amazing you are. From pagination buttons, to standard JQuery tabs they take time to build.

Most people rely heavily on their designers for Making sure the site is cosmetically pleasing. If a button is off by a few pixels, I can tell you from experience our customer satisfaction goes straight down hill.

When you build Jquery tabs you can style either the class of the tabs, or go down to the actual List items <li> </li> and style them. The trick is to handle all the styling in groups and to make sure no one messes with your CSS that maintains them. It's so much easier this way. So that's why most designers stick to designing the HTML/CSS/JQuery side and they leave the programmers to work on the source code.

Source code would usually hold all your button events, link events and etc. The more complicated stuff comes into Linq and how you do your SQL calls. These days a lot of people are moving to MVC4 if they haven't already. They handle stuff through a view bag which can important strings from a certain class. On top of this it handles the Models, the View and the controllers separately.

Also when you a programmer you have to worry about a lot more than just what's in front of you. You have to think in terms of APIs, asynchronous handling, and such in which eliminate too much load on the server side. A lot of folks these days are getting into WCF for this very reason. If you are into XAML then all props to you, but that to me is just another thing to learn. Windows services are tedious at times, due to the threading/multi-threading, priority and such.

Also I recommend you either choose web code or data base coding. The reason is most places look for either one or the other. DBAs are in high high demand, while web development is one of the highest/ most popular jobs in this current day and age, and do to this.. many are still looking for a job (unless they have the experience).

.NET scum!!!!!! i'm .NET scum now too. not sure ive quite been converted but i dont have much choice now. gotta get with the times yo! most places advertise for one or the other but really they want someone who knows how to do everything and they want that person for as little money as possible because they are shithouse cunts. also wcf is disgusting.

I agree, I hate WCF, Signal R and WPF. I'm not going to keep learning languages that might be phased out in a couple of years. I stick with the stuff that's been around forever and keep my head down. Yes.. Scrum is nuts and yes I am forced into it. I have to write automation around unit tests and browser tests (selenium). So it gets to be cumbersome when some designer is new and starts doing whatever the hell he wants.

I'm like look, put ids on everything. Stop using bad naming conventions. Most of all don't make me hunt you down with a cross bow due to sloppy margins. Clean it up!

And for the programmers... sheesh, if I see one more Class that is named something that has no relevance, and then go into to the code... and see a bunch of methods that are being called by the client side, which actually do something of relevance. I'm going to choke someone.

Though it's not my code, so gotta be nice ... subtly.

And yes - I've heard about cheap hiring, but not going to say anything on that subject.

the whole binding concept just...it doesnt sit well with me. i had a fairly small wpf project at work. it was horrible.

i get to do a bit of web and a bit of winforms. if anyone still uses vb.net then they need shot.

I've been using codeacademy.com

It's pretty cool and intuitive. I'm a beginner in programming so I'm not sure if the information on the site is purely comprehensive or whether it has some more in depth lessons to teach. I'd recommend it for beginners though as it has a really user friendly interface and is quite fun to use.

Hey, I'm wanting to take up programming as well. I was going to go to school for it but a programmer then informed me that I don't have to go to school, that I can learn on my own and just get a certification.

Anyways, I have no programming experience whatsoever, but want to eventually be able to make games and such. Nothing commercial or major, but just cause I think some need to be made. I'm thinking I'll eventually need to learn Java and C+ but should I just dive into the "How to program in Java" books? All I really want right now is a starting point, so where can I start?

Back