Final Fantasy XII: The Archadian Epoch
Once again, Ivalice was in a state of war, the likes of which had not been seen since before the founding of the Galtean Alliance. The heir to the throne of Nabradia, Veltan Elygas, requested the aid of Rozarria to drive out the forces that opposed him. Fearing an invasion of the Valendian continent by its sworn enemy, Rozarria, would follow once the Civil War in Nabradia had been resolved, Archadia immediately exerted political pressure on the small kingdom, backing the other heir to the throne, Renais Elgyas. Yet neither Rozarria nor the new King of Nabradia acceded to their demands, and the Emperor of Archadia was compelled to use force. Yet for all her military might, Archadia was unable to pierce the defences of Nabradia; support from Rozarria enabled them to hold, and threatened for a time to drive Archadia back, drastically reducing her territories. Superior tactics help against superior numbers, and many were the lives that the Archadian Empire lost in attempting to force capitulation.
It was then that the might of the Archadian Judges was unleashed upon Nabradia. Calling forth the Espers, those who had been bound to the Glyph of the Beast by the Gods themselves, and who had not set foot upon Ivalice since the Age of the Gods, they laid waste to the city within a single night, bringing forth Mist and transforming the once prosperous nation into a barren wasteland for all eternity; a stark reminder to all those who would seek to oppose the might of Archadia. Yet the Kingdom of Dalmasca also stood in opposition; by the blood ties of the Dynast King of old, Dalmasca and Nabradia stood together against the might of the Archadian Empire at Nalbina Fortress.
No quarter was given, and the bloodlines of both House Nabradia and House Dalmasca were lost in the final conflict, prompting those who remained to accept Archadia’s terms of surrender. Rozarria, badly scarred by her skirmish with Archadia, was forced to retreat, and it was with great pride that the Emperor of Archadia declared himself to be the new Dynast King, consolidating the lands won in conquest whilst simultaneously relieving himself of the political pressure that he had been placed under for the campaign which, until that point, had been a disaster. But with the might of the Scions at his command, could there be any doubt he was Ivalice’s new Dynast King; Raithwall reborn? Whilst those most holy relics wielded by the Dynast King, the Nethicite, eluded his grasp still, it was but a mere technicality in the face of the power that he did wield.
With the destruction of Nabradia and annexation of Dalmasca, the sovereign state of Archadia was left unopposed, and continued to consolidate her territories, encountering only small pockets of resistance which were easily crushed by her Judges. Rozarrian borders were slowly pushed back, and rumours of negotiations for peace treaties were ripe amongst the people; it was only a matter time before the Dynast King of Archadia became the Dynast King of Ivalice in truth. With House Dalmasca destroyed, Archadia dispatched a consul to rule the once free state in the year 706 Old Valendian, marking their arrival in Rabanastre with a festival the likes of which none had ever seen. Indeed, it proved to be a festival the likes of which the people would never see again, marking the end of one Age and the beginning of another, which later came to be known with the passage of time as the Age of the Scions.
~ From the annals of Marquis Ma’iq Theron III, Prelude to The Archadian Epoch
- Before you do anything else, go read the Information Thread. This has a brief timeline of the Old Valendian period for this RP (as in, it is NOT the same as the timeline presented in FFXII, and some of the added events will be integral to the plot) as well as details on the jobs and the abilities they bestow upon the user. I did not type all this out for fun (it was fun, but that is beside the point) and if anyone asks me a question which the Information Thread contains the answer to, I will be very, VERY annoyed.
- This RP is loosely inspired by Final Fantasy XII, and as such is set in Ivalice. The Ivalice we will be using is the one depicted in Final Fantasy XII. These are the areas of Ivalice that will be accessible over the course of the RP but, by all means, your character may come from somewhere else on Ivalice.
- You may play a character from any race native to Ivalice, except for the Occuria. Just make sure you do your research if you are playing as a character from a race that wasn’t in Final Fantasy XII; e.g. Gria or Aegyl.
- Only Judges will have their Espers to begin with; protagonists will earn their Esper over the course of the RP.
- Your Job will determine which Esper you obtain. A list of available characters and job/Esper combinations is below; please refer to this and the Information Thread before you make a character.
- All Job abilities will be available to characters from the start of the RP. But use your common sense; you know how all these jobs work by now, and what their strengths and weaknesses are; who they will stack up well against, and who will crush them. Keep this in mind before you start throwing your weight around...and remember that an Esper gives an overwhelming advantage, so going up against Judges you would normally have an advantage against would result in a very quick death.
- That said, creativity is encouraged. Want to use Gravity to launch yourself into the air? Decoy to make a duplicate of yourself that runs off in the opposite direction? Go for it! Make battles fun, just use your common sense. You know what to do~
- In this RP, the level of the equipment that a character is able to use will reflect their capabilities in that area. As an example, a White Mage is capable of equipping up to Mystic Armour (13) in game. This would give them a much greater resistance to magic than a Breaker, who cannot equip Mystic Armour at all. However, a Breaker is capable of equipping Heavy Armour (12), granting them an extremely high physical resistance in comparison. A Breaker would also be considerably slower than a White Mage as a result, because their armour is heavier. Logical, no? The same applies for weapons: the higher the weapon level you could equip, the better you can use it.
- For the sake of simplicity, Technicks and Accessories are going to be ignored. If you can think of a way to practically implement them, however, I would love to hear it.
- Your character will only be able to use the weapons they have a license for. This does not mean if you give a White Mage a gun they won’t be able to use it, but they won’t have any degree of knowledge of how to use it well, so it’d be effectively useless to them. Obviously, the stronger the magic, the longer the casting time.
- That usual stuff about godmodding, metagaming etc. applies to this RP. Common sense, common courtesy, practice them both.
- Active participation is required. This includes discussion with others about how the plot is going to advance, posting once every three days minimum (unless you have a good reason not to that is NOT “I have no muse”, and notification in advance of the fact is much appreciated) and not just attempting to cruise on through. Keep up or keep out.
- For crying out loud, be realistic when it comes to your job skills, and do your research about what you can and can’t use or do. I have included a list in the information thread detailing each job’s capabilities for your convenience; make use of it, if you would.
- One strike and you’re out; misbehaving, excessively bad grammar, or unexplained lack of participation is not tolerated.
Name: [the name of your character]
Alias: [The alias of your character. For Judge Magisters, and anyone else who feels they need one.]
Age: [Your character's age. 18+ please.]
Gender: [Male or Female]
Race: [Remember, you may play as any race native to Ivalice except for the Occuria.]
Job: [Your character's Job]
Esper: [Your character's Esper]
Weapons: [The weapons your character carries. These must be weapons your Job allows you to equip, but you can make up names for said weapons, etc]
Appearance: [What your character looks like]
Personality: [Be detailed.]
History: [Be detailed, and try not to contradict the timeline, for crying out loud]
Cast of Characters
Dalmascan Consul [Job: Monk] [Esper: Ultima, The High Seraph] – RESERVED [Otto Von Bismarck]
Judge #1 [Job: Knight] [Esper: Hashmal]
Judge #2 [Job: Time Mage] [Esper: Exodus] – RESERVED [Mitsuru Kirijo]
Judge #3 [Job: Red Mage] [Esper: Zeromus] – RESERVED [Martel]
Judge #4 [Job: Uhlan] [Esper: Chaos]
Dalmascan Monarch [Job: White Mage] [Esper: Belias] – RESERVED [Mitsuru Kirijo]
Character #2 [Job: Machinist] [Esper: Zalera] – RESERVED [Martel]
Character #3 [Job: Breaker] [Esper:Cuchulainn]
Character #4 [Job: Archer] [Esper: Shemhazai] – RESERVED [Technocrat]
Character #5 [Job: Black Mage] [Esper: Adrammelech] – RESERVED [Martel]
Character #6 [Job: Mononofu] [Esper: Famfrit]
Character #7 [Job: Shikari] [Esper: Mateus]
OK, the Information Thread is still under construction, but the most important stuff - the Old Valendian timeline and the data on Jobs - is up there. The rest of it I can get off the FF Wiki at my leisure, so if you absolutely must know what Ivalice looks like, or what attacks your Esper can use right NOW, look there for the time being. I plan on finishing it over the weekend; it'll have everything you need to know in there to save you the trouble of looking it all up. You can thank me later.
This RP will start on the 1st of June at the latest. I'd like to start before that date, but this gives you time to write your bios and come up with a plan for your character, and gives me time to link it all together so it flows nicely and nobody gets cast adrift.
My bios will be up over the weekend, or shortly afterwards. I need to get Apocrypha and Checkmate sorted out as well and, since I'll be getting my laptop back today, I shall have the means to do so.