April 27, 2012, 2:11 PM
There is absolutely no evidence to support your claim that the Bill of Rights (including the right to bear arms) only apply to federal laws, and not individual rights. In fact every single time in history that there has been a "right to keep and bear arms" it has ALWAYS referred to an individual right, including where the phrase originated, in the English Bill of Rights in 1688. The Tenth Amendment (also part of the Bill of Rights) ensures federalism in the United States, and it states that "rights and powers NOT set forth in the Constitution are delegated to the states or the people," which by it's very definition implies that state and local governments CANNOT violate the federal Constitution.
Last edited by Phoenix Rising; April 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM.
April 27, 2012, 3:37 PM
…you don't seem to be reading anything I'm writing…so I'm just going to keep this one short.
a) The Bill of Rights originally only limited the federal government. Only after the "incorporation doctrine" (that's an actual legal term), did the Bill of Rights apply to the States as well. The 2nd Amendment was one of the last amendments to be incorporated. Ever wonder why?
b) You are begging the question with the Amendment X bit. Yes, States cannot violate the federal Constitution but that assumes the entire issue of whether the 2nd Amendment should be interpreted as applying to only the federal government or the State.
c) Why do you keep relying on polls? Why do you just follow the majority? When is 57% majority enough to ever make the other 43% keel over? It almost seems like if most of the population supported the "liberal" side of the debate, you'd switch sides.
*I really can't emphasis this point enough if it's the only thing you get from my post: Look at ALL the evidence yourself (even those opposing your own position), then decide the matter from using YOUR OWN mind. Please stop relying so heavily on popular opinion. You are not a politician, but a human individual. I would hope you have enough self-respect to hold fast to your own opinion over those of others.*
d) Genocide, racism, homophobia …and… gun control. How you are able to group those things together is a bit beyond me… This point explains much more about your bias on the issue than anything else. It's hard to talk with someone about gun control when he equates it to genocide, racism, and homophobia.
Edit: I'm glad you edited your initial response to cut out the part that (c) and (d) refer.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes
April 28, 2012, 3:51 PM
Yeah, no. I'm not sure where you're getting this nonsense from, but apparently as of about 10:37 AM yesterday, I am incapable of forming a conclusion and/or opinion of my own, according to you.
I am beginning to think that you are intentionally putting words in my mouth, just so you can attack a straw-man. What I was asking was, 'Why do Democrat politicians insist on pushing their gun control agenda, when the vast majority of Democrats (57% of Dems and 90% of Republicans) are opposed to gun control?' Which has absolutely nothing to do with my views or opinions or interpretation of evidence.
Last edited by Phoenix Rising; April 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes